HT Speaker setup

NBPK402

I should be ready to start arranging my speakers for the Home Theater in the next few weeks... What is the suggested way to setup where they go? Should I just do the suggested angles for a 9 point setup or do i take the front main channels and set them up as I would for a stereo pair with the best imaging and soundstage depth?

Stereo pair, et Cetera

So are you saying I should setup each pair as if it was by itself in a stereo pair for best imaging and stage depth? Which would mean when I do the surrounds I would turn the listening position around 180 degrees, correct?

Left and right goes as such. Center goes in the center of the screen if possible. All three at ear height or as close as possible. If you have 5.1 only you can mounts your surrounds either on the side of your listening position or behind. If you have 7.1 then the 5.1 surrounds go on the side and the 7.1 surround backs go behind you.

if I read OP correctly... he said NINE points. So Scrappy is correct ^ with 5.1 to the sides of the LP and 7.1 adds to the rear of LP... and if you add the last two for 9.1, they go in the front height area.

Edited by Schu

Yes, I will be doing a 9.2 setup... Maybe a 11.2 if I get the last pair but I know it will be a tight area with all those speakers in a 15'x 23' room.

So I would just do the suggested angles then, and not worry about setting up each pair individually for soundstage imaging and depth?

Like this... http://www.soundandvision.com/content/audyssey-says-go-wide

Edited by Ron

This is what I was thinking of for my room...

20140130_201006_zps22c922ac.jpg

Does that look right? WOuld my main channel speakers be angled toward the main position? Would my other channels be aimed toward the main listening position or do they just get aimed straight out from the wall and angled downward toward the main listening position?

I am also thinking of moving the subs to be under the second row seating or under the side channels.

Edited by Ron

That looks right, and I am jealous. BTW, I see in your diagram you are using wides as opposed to highs for the 8th and 9th channels. If you go to an 11.2, do you make high and wide fronts?

edit: if you are placing the mains behind the screen, I think they face straight out. In most HT's they are toed in to just behind the main (sweet spot) seating position. If you are not elevating the rear seating, you should stagger it so the people behind can see. Of course that all depends too on how high up your screen is. You should have no more than 15 degrees from the eye height to the center of the screen vertically from any seat.

Edited by mustang guy

Rears and surrounds are supposed to be ambient. They should not be aimed at the audience, as it is best that the sounds come from everywhere rather from a specific axis. I spoke to an engineer at Danley who said that he knows of people who use the 10's as rear decks, and face the mouth toward the front of the theater. IMO, you should call Danley and get some input.

• Like 1

Rears and surrounds are supposed to be ambient. They should not be aimed at the audience, as it is best that the sounds come from everywhere rather from a specific axis. I spoke to an engineer at Danley who said that he knows of people who use the 10's as rear decks, and face the mouth toward the front of the theater. IMO, you should call Danley and get some input.

I will call them and see what they suggest... If I can use the subs as a riser or put them in the riser it would work out great I think.

That looks right, and I am jealous. BTW, I see in your diagram you are using wides as opposed to highs for the 8th and 9th channels. If you go to an 11.2, do you make high and wide fronts?

edit: if you are placing the mains behind the screen, I think they face straight out. In most HT's they are toed in to just behind the main (sweet spot) seating position. If you are not elevating the rear seating, you should stagger it so the people behind can see. Of course that all depends too on how high up your screen is. You should have no more than 15 degrees from the eye height to the center of the screen vertically from any seat.

Yes that is what I am thinking wide and height. I will most likely end up with 11.2 as I am currently looking for the last pair. I would love to stumble across another pair of La Scalas or maybe do the 1/4 pie setup for the front 3 speakers. It would be awesome if I was able to do the 1/4 pie setup for the front 3 and have a pair of La Scalas for surrounds, HIPs for heights, 3002s for width and then my HPS sr-70 for side surrounds.

This is what I do on my rear wall with KPT-200's on top about 4 ft apart center to center.

Edited by ClaudeJ1
  • Like 1

Up against te wall gives you your boundary gain. And as far as speakers behind screen and toeing, mine are behind a false wall and are toed in. When they faced straight I had zero imaging. Sounded like a big mess up front.

Would I be better off building a baffle wall rather than having an open wall with the cavity behind?

This is what I do on my rear wall with KPT-200's on top about 4 ft apart center to center.

Are your surrounds just shooting straight out into the room or do they angle downward?

Are your surrounds just shooting straight out into the room or do they angle downward?

I have 4 KPT-200's are Pro Theater speakers (2-way) with K-42 heavy duty woofer. They are 90 degree dispersion speaker with a trapezoidal shape that angles down.

post-20774-0-91200000-1392649957_thumb.j

Edited by ClaudeJ1