Anyone own a Guild Guitar?

BigStewMan

Steve -- I have a 1974 F-30R (rosewood). It is built like a Jumbo, but they never show them like that in any literature that I have seen. Built like a tank, was still made in the USA. Is this a GAD series you are looking at? They are made overseas. I believe, but are still nice guitars. They have some of their other lines being made in the US again. One of the former owners of Guild lives here in Chattanooga, btw.

Guild always made the best 12 strings. John Denver played them almost exclusively, until he later switched to Taylors.

Bruce

Edited by Marvel

Only because Guild just about dropped off the map for awhile, and what they did have for a long time was not made here. Doesn't mean it was bad, but I feel they've come back into the game really strong. Considering that JD passed away in 1997, Guild has had time to rebuild their reputation. If I had the cash, there are a couple of different Guild models I would try out. They aren't any less expensive than the Taylor models. The one I like is $4900.

I also think they are that good!

Bruce

Edited by Marvel

I have owned a guild 12 before... not the most incredible guitar I have owned, that is for sure. I looked, that appears to be a jumbo bodied 12 string in the $1000 range... I might hold out for something better unless you are getting a smoking deal and this is one of your first guitars.

at least it's not a laminate.

Edited by Schu

It wouldn't be Steve's first guitar... You have to take some models on the value of each individual instrument, and forget about the brand. One of the nicest necks on a guitar I ever played was a Sears Silvertone. I don't know who made it for them, but as far as playability was concerned it was great. The intonation was superb. The tone was so so, though. My '51 D-18 didn't and doesn't play as nice as that one did. The Martin, however, has tone to die for.

My Taylor is a great guitar, and they have pretty much defined repeatability in building guitars. As with any guitar, you just have to find the one that has the magic sound for you.

Bruce

• Like 1

It wouldn't be Steve's first guitar... You have to take some models on the value of each individual instrument, and forget about the brand. One of the nicest necks on a guitar I ever played was a Sears Silvertone. I don't know who made it for them, but as far as playability was concerned it was great. The intonation was superb. The tone was so so, though. My '51 D-18 didn't and doesn't play as nice as that one did. The Martin, however, has tone to die for.

My Taylor is a great guitar, and they have pretty much defined repeatability in building guitars. As with any guitar, you just have to find the one that has the magic sound for you.

Bruce

Try a om42 neck... now that is a neck to die for. I've had two different units two different times and it simply extremely comfortable in the hand because it's not a V or a modified V... it's a low profile martin neck.

Guitars are like... well, you know, everyone's tastes are different. You'll just know it when you have one in your hands. ;) I think I will never be in the market for a higher end guitar at this point in my life. Maybe, but I don't have much extra money to toss out there.

Bruce

Edited by Marvel

Steve -- I have a 1974 F-30R (rosewood). It is built like a Jumbo, but they never show them like that in any literature that I have seen. Built like a tank, was still made in the USA. Is this a GAD series you are looking at? They are made overseas. I believe, but are still nice guitars. They have some of their other lines being made in the US again. One of the former owners of Guild lives here in Chattanooga, btw.

Guild always made the best 12 strings. John Denver played them almost exclusively, until he later switched to Taylors.

Bruce

Hi Bruce--Yes, it is from the GAD series and a Jumbo. Although i also like the D-125 (cheaper but price isn't the issue). I do love Taylors and had been planning on getting a T5. Most everything i have is electric or electric/acoustic and i'm tempted to get just a straight acoustic.

Steve

I might hold out for something better unless you are getting a smoking deal and this is one of your first guitars.

Bruce is right--not my first, in fact i'm sitting here surrounded by eight of them right now. You know sometimes you just like something. For instance, I played this Godin that sold for about $500 and it was one of the most comfortable guitars I've played. I am a huge fan of Taylors though. Gave one to my daughter years ago, she doesn't play it; but, won't get rid of it. Thought for sure i'd be getting a Taylor until i started falling in love with a couple of Guilds.

Watched a you tube video the other night of Randy Bachman--his favorite guitar was Danelectro that came from the Sears Catalog--Jimmy Page plays one too and loves it. You can buy them for about $400-$500. My buddy has been playing the bass for about 40 years and has about 40 of them. His favorite is an cheap, unfinished Peavey. He just loves the tone that it has--and this is a guy that once got rid of a Rickenbacker 4001 because he didn't like the tone (although he does regret that decision now).

Edited by BigStewMan

I used to have a Danelectro Sitar guitar... it was good, but no match for a nice telecaster. then again, it wasn't trying to match a telecaster either. I've been playing seriously since I was ten years old... than means about 42 years of fret work. there are some I have regretted selling, and some I have regretted buying. at some point I told myself I would not buy anymore guitars unless I REALLY wanted it as a keeper... than normally means spending $$$.

there are some I have regretted selling
i think we all have that one that got away story. For me it was a '76 Fender Telecaster, Thinline semi-hollowbody. beautiful instrument and wish i could have it back. Right now my favorites are my Brian May Rhapsody Acoustic (because it has a Brian May connection story to it) and my Gretsch.

I had a hollowbody Gibson electric with a single pickup. The body was barely bigger than a Les Paul, but about 3 inches deep, with f-holes. Might have been a 3/4 size. Had the nice brown case with pink lining... Paid $100 for it. I should never have let that one get away. Very similar to an ES-125, but thicker body.

Bought it in a own shop. I think it was like this ES-140 single cutaway 3/4 size.

Bruce

post-5045-0-15980000-1393614813_thumb.jp

post-5045-0-36620000-1393614957_thumb.jp

Edited by Marvel

I had a hollowbody Gibson electric with a single pickup. The body was barely bigger than a Les Paul, but about 3 inches deep, with f-holes. Might have been a 3/4 size. Had the nice brown case with pink lining... Paid $100 for it. I should never have let that one get away. Very similar to an ES-125, but thicker body.

Bought it in a own shop. I think it was like this ES-140 single cutaway 3/4 size.

Bruce

That's a nice one Bruce. I have an Epiphone version of the ES-175. The Gibson price was just out of this world and i really wanted one at the time. So i got the epi...not a Gibson by any stretch; but, really nice bang for the buck.

So i got the epi...not a Gibson by any stretch; but, really nice bang for the buck.

I sure understand that! I have been wanting a dreadnought of some kind, looked at a J-45 or J-35 because I really like the slope shoulder. Then I looked at the newer Guilds, the Orpheum slope shoulder... Sure can't afford it, but it makes me drool.

(I really wish I still had the 3/4 Gibson. It was sweet!)

Bruce

WHY? Was surfing the internet earlier today and saw the 60th Anniversary Stratocasters…i'd like to see one in person; but, the Desert Sand color is intriguing. I kinda want one now. I don't want the Squire; but, that color is cool--then again my Gretsch is gold. I wonder if any are made in America? (probably the relic and the vintage) never been a fan of the sunburst; but, i guess in the 50s-60s that must have been "the" color.

Edited by BigStewMan