New hard drive will not format ?

joessportster

I try to format the new western digital red, 2tb drive It is in an external case, windows keeps saying cannot format, then get a pop up that says check cable connections, and make sure it is not a read only drive

The enclosure is a plugable dock model usb3 sata uasp1

when i hooked it up windows found and installed the drivers, i had to label the drive with a letter then it said i had to format it

I can feel the drive spin, and windows shows the storage size

Any suggestions ??

I had the same problem. I don't remember exactly how it got fixed but it was comething about right clicking on something on that drive in the same screen you use to reassigned a drive a new drive letter......I know, this isn't much. But I had to do a Google search to find the one forum that got it right.

Something about initializing the drive before it could be formatted. But look up Disk Management and I think you right click on the new drive in the lower part of that screen and choose "initialize". That should only take a few seconds, after that it should allow you to format it.

Edited by Mighty Favog

I have gone thru, the initial procedure of setting partition / volume size (i set it as 1 volume quick format would not work i tried standard let it run from 9pm to 7 am still no format now im trying to set smaller partitions

Bruce how the heck can i check BIOS i saw several posts concerning BIOS but nothing on how to pull it up

Joe

I have gone thru, the initial procedure of setting partition / volume size (i set it as 1 volume quick format would not work i tried standard let it run from 9pm to 7 am still no format now im trying to set smaller partitions

Bruce how the heck can i check BIOS i saw several posts concerning BIOS but nothing on how to pull it up

Joe

This is the first link that popped up. The issue is looking pretty common, but there is a work around out there

http://community.wd.com/t5/Desktop-Mobile-Drives/Unable-to-format-amp-partition-new-bare-WG-2TB-Red-drives/td-p/560626

More

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-hardware/formating-issues-with-a-wd-2tb-drive-cant-format/17f887ee-7689-4dc3-9237-ee7f3af2dfbd

Bruce how the heck can i check BIOS

When your computer is booting up (depending on the brand...), you hit enter, you hit F2, it depends. When it is booting you can usually see what version of the BIOS you have. It may need to be upgraded (by download from vendor's website). Depending on the age of your PC/motherboard, you may need a newer version of the BIOS to work reliably with larger drives.

Bruce

Thanks bruce, bios age says 2011

I went to BB and picked up another hard drive and ran smart tests on it and the 2 tb iv'e been working with they both failed

my laptop hard drive passes, Im going to take the know working hard drive out of my other laptop and see if it will format

Emailed wd with a run down of the issue, they said drive was not designed for external (I'm trying to figure out how that matters) I should install it in a desktop and try to format it, and if i go thru the 20 + hours of bs then its the drive and i should return it for warranty exchange

I will look into the usb updates, i went thru system management and literally clicked on every item and checked for driver updates and none were shown

On a similar note

I purchased an SD card - one of those fast SDXC -128 gb

Computer would not read the card no matter what I did or tried

I eventually found a fix on the Windows site - all that was needed ? A driver or a recognition patch

From then on all worked fine

I SURRENDER :angry: LET ME UP IV'e HAD ENOUGH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Boxing this crap back up !!!!!!!!!!! lesson learned

Guess I will pray my portable passport holds up although I don't have much faith, its already twitchy

When $$$$$$$ presents itself looks like I'm in for a computer upgrade, I may have one built with 2Tb of storage and make sure they partition c drive so the only thing on

the main partition is the OS, which according to my last 24 hours of reading and experimenting adds a layer of protection to the files in other partitions

What Pisses me off most is I lost an evening of music, trying to let this crap format over night :angry2:

Edited by joessportster