2.1 connection question

USNRET

My experimentation desire is to try out my SVS PB-12/Plus2 sub in a 2.1 configuration with the following equipment:

Source (AppleTV or Logitech Duet or CD player)
In to Emotiva XDA-2 DAC
To Juicy Music Peach pre-amp via RCA (from there to VRD amps) AND from XDA-2 to SVS sub from XDA-2 XLR outputs using XLR to RCA cables to sub.

???? Will the XDA DAC output to both RCA and XLR?

Any special specifications for the 10' +/- XLR to RCA cable going to sub?

Volume setting on the DAC (I assume 0.0)?

Any thoughts on function or reduced fidelity doing this? I will use the SVS gain and crossover.

Speakers are Belles with ALK extremes and Greg's 2" mid horns mods so thoughts on starting xover point?

so you're asking if there is signal to both RCA and XLR simultaneously?

I would think so

Yep'r that be one of the main questions.

I had tried this a different way a few years back by using a "Y" cable between pre-amp and amps and using one leg to the sub but I didn't like turning the volume knob up so much on the pre. Seems like I about tripled the amount I normally used (just didn't feel right).

I'd think to have the sub go up and down in volume with the mains you are going to have to use Y adaptors out of the Peach. It will probably work and sound better if you use a Low Z mode. I believe the SVS subs have a pretty low input impedance of about 20K . Of course if you use the DAC to raise and lower the volume of your system then you could come directly out of it to the SVS.

Craig

• Moderators
???? Will the XDA DAC output to both RCA and XLR?

I use the XDA-1 and yes on the first version it does work on both. I use the XLR to the amps and the RCA to the sub and it works fine. I do remember reading there was a couple DB difference but since the sub has a gain control it doesn't matter, it will be adjusted differently anyway.

Out of the XDA-1 I used a Y into a single cable for the sub to get the bass from both channels.

Edited by dtel

I'd think to have the sub go up and down in volume with the mains you are going to have to use Y adaptors out of the Peach. It will probably work and sound better if you use a Low Z mode. I believe the SVS subs have a pretty low input impedance of about 20K . Of course if you use the DAC to raise and lower the volume of your system then you could come directly out of it to the SVS.

Craig

Right you are, I overlooked the level adjustment relationship. I guess i could take the Peach out of the equation and go DAC to amps and sub.

so you're asking if there is signal to both RCA and XLR simultaneously?

I would think so

Yep'r that be one of the main questions.

I had tried this a different way a few years back by using a "Y" cable between pre-amp and amps and using one leg to the sub but I didn't like turning the volume knob up so much on the pre. Seems like I about tripled the amount I normally used (just didn't feel right).

I would think that your line level output would have alot to do with how much gain is lost by splitting the signal. On the other hand I really don't know but, from my past expirences I can tell you that from my pre-amp outs I ran a Y cable to two different R2R's in a similar fashion without issues or noticable gain lost. I am also thinking about runnning a Y cable from my pre-amp outs to my amp and subs, hope this helps.

I've communicated with some who thought the single best sound they got from their subwoofer was when it was connected to the rest of the system using the speaker level inputs, and using the sub's plate amp gain control to balance levels between it (subwoofer) and main speakers. In other words, the subwoofer speaker level inputs are in parallel with the L and R channel speakers. You do NOT connect your main speakers to the speaker level outputs on the subwoofer amplifier.

In other words, your source components are left out of the equation, and you don't need to parallel the preamp's outputs via Y jack from the preamp to the line level inputs on the subwoofer. The VRDs will have a very good quality (hey Craig!) speaker level signal with which to 'feed' your subwoofer (which, by the way, is the same one I have).

Try both line level and speaker level inputs, see which one sounds better to you. I tend to prefer using the main amp speaker outputs.

I've communicated with some who thought the single best sound they got from their subwoofer was when it was connected to the rest of the system using the speaker level inputs, and using the sub's plate amp gain control to balance levels between it (subwoofer) and main speakers. In other words, the subwoofer speaker level inputs are in parallel with the L and R channel speakers. You do NOT connect your main speakers to the speaker level outputs on the subwoofer amplifier.

In other words, your source components are left out of the equation, and you don't need to parallel the preamp's outputs via Y jack from the preamp to the line level inputs on the subwoofer. The VRDs will have a very good quality (hey Craig!) speaker level signal with which to 'feed' your subwoofer (which, by the way, is the same one I have).

Try both line level and speaker level inputs, see which one sounds better to you. I tend to prefer using the main amp speaker outputs.

So it's early and I have had no coffee so humor me. I have always been under the belief that the sub's plate amp was in operation when using line level RCA connections. So you either use the sub's on board amp when connected to RCA OR you use an outboard amp and connect to speaker level inputs on sub. How would the sub's gain control speaker level connection?

Now, on the real possibility that I am mistaken, what impedence taps would I use on the VRDs to connect to sub and mains when using a parallel circuit?

RCA OR you use an outboard amp and connect to speaker level inputs on sub. How would the sub's gain control speaker level connection?

Um, no. The speaker level inputs are used when your pre-amp doesn't have a low level output (RCA). They're connected to the amp board, not the driver.

Now, on the real possibility that I am mistaken, what impedence taps would I use on the VRDs to connect to sub and mains when using a parallel circuit?

If you're talking about running your plate amp and speakers parallel, it's no problem. We may have spoken about this in the past.

When I hooked up my sub to the patio stereo, I had to use the high level inputs. I called Parts Express and posted questions here and no one could tell me what kind of load I would have on my amp with the speakers and plate amp wired parallel. Time to experiment. Using an Ohm meter at my amp with the wires disconnected and the speakers hooked up, I had roughly 8 Ohms per channel. With the plate amp wired parallel with the speakers I had 7.9 Ohms per channel. I've had no problem running it that way. Prior to this experiment, I measured the resistance across one channel of the plate amp and calculated total resistance with the speakers and came up with 7.9 Ohms also.

RCA OR you use an outboard amp and connect to speaker level inputs on sub. How would the sub's gain control speaker level connection?

Um, no. The speaker level inputs are used when your pre-amp doesn't have a low level output (RCA). They're connected to the amp board, not the driver.

So when using the speaker level inputs at the plate amp the plate amp is still active and amplifies the already amplified speaker level?

What happens when you use the sub in a series circuit..when you go speaker wire to speaker level input then speaker level out to main speaker..

So when using the speaker level inputs at the plate amp the plate amp is still active and amplifies the already amplified speaker level?

ASSUMING you have speaker level outputs. The signal will do one of three things depending on your plate amp. Some plate amps wire the speaker level inputs and outputs parallel inside the amp and your speakers receive a full signal. Some plate amps route the signal through the adjustable crossover and your speakers get a signal with everything above the crossover point. Some plate amps have a fixed, non adjustable crossover built in and your mains receive a signal above that fixed point. You'll have to consult your owners manual or the manufacturer to find out what type you have.

Edited by CECAA850

Correct.

Well, shiver me timbers!

Yes, I have speaker level in and out. I have forwarded the question regarding the xover point using speaker level out to SVS.

post-19886-0-68400000-1394115992_thumb.j

Edited by USNRET

Then you're good to go. I couldn't find the owners manual to that particular sub. You'll need to look up or call SVS and ask them which of the 3 types of amp you have (explained above). Crossover recommendation will be determined by what happens to the signal inside the amp.

Then you're good to go. I couldn't find the owners manual to that particular sub. You'll need to look up or call SVS and ask them which of the 3 types of amp you have (explained above). Crossover recommendation will be determined by what happens to the signal inside the amp.

This should clear THAT up; from SVS

Hi Michael,

The speaker-level outputs are high-pass filtered at approximately 6dB/oct at 90Hz (somewhat variable based on the connected impedances). This is unaffected by the sub's crossover control (which determines only the low-pass frequency). I don’t think you'll like the speaker-level outputs, they always sound veiled and bad to me. :) If running speaker-level to the sub (which works fine), I'd just run a parallel set of speaker cables to the sub and run the mains full-range.