Used Receiver Suggestions

DizRotus

My impoverished son (vet of Afghanistan, recent GW grad and now rookie DC cop) is looking for a receiver to use with TV and Heresy 1s. I feel that he's better off getting the best used receiver his budget (~$300) will allow, rather than getting a cheap new unit.

I'd like to see him get a unit that includes Audyssey EQ capabilities, if possible.

Any suggestions are welcomed.

Accesories4less.com

Refurbished can save a lot on year old models and still come with one year warranty. My problem with used receivers is no warranty and most brands use such cheap components it's hard to find places to actually fix them. Some thing like my denon 1713 or denon x1000 would be perfect and audyssey xt. Fantastic little receiver.

aside from the refurb thing, which may not be in the $300 budget for the power level/features you want. i suggest looking into a used onkyo, something in the tx-sr600-800 series, mainly the 705-707 or 805-807 are very nice receivers (especially for the money) they have great power, features & audysey. & hdmi pass-through if that matters.

i would look either locally on CL so you can see & test it in person or look on ebay. these days buyers are protected on ebay very well, if you buy something & its not what was described you willl get a refund from the seller or ebay will refund it & then go after the seller themselves. very secure way of finding good deals IMO. & if you buy from ebay there is a company called square trade that offeres extended warranties, like 2 years for $50 or longer. if it breaks they repair it or refund your purchase price.

& as with most electronics, if they make it past their burn in time, usually a few months of use, chances are very good they will live a long trouble free life. some guys dont like onkyo, but i feel they are the best bang for the buck & have power & sound quality almost as good as the other high end receivers.

Edited by klipschfancf4

aside from the refurb thing, which may not be in the $300 budget for the power level/features you want. i suggest looking into a used onkyo, something in the tx-sr600-800 series, mainly the 705-707 or 805-807 are very nice receivers (especially for the money) they have great power, features & audysey. & hdmi pass-through if that matters.

i would look either locally on CL so you can see & test it in person or look on ebay. these days buyers are protected on ebay very well, if you buy something & its not what was described you willl get a refund from the seller or ebay will refund it & then go after the seller themselves. very secure way of finding good deals IMO. & if you buy from ebay there is a company called square trade that offeres extended warranties, like 2 years for $50 or longer. if it breaks they repair it or refund your purchase price.

& as with most electronics, if they make it past their burn in time, usually a few months of use, chances are very good they will live a long trouble free life. some guys dont like onkyo, but i feel they are the best bang for the buck & have power & sound quality almost as good as the other high end receivers.

805 does not have pass through. But it is a monster. I own one so I know for sure.

Thank you for all of the suggestions.

A deal is pending with a trusted forum member with whom I've dealt in the past to purchase an Onkyo 706 that I've seen and heard. The gently used receiver should more than meet my son's needs.

Of the several audio related forums I haunt, this one has the most active members, as well as the most civil, knowledgeable and helpful.

• Like 1

805 does not have pass through. But it is a monster. I own one so I know for sure.

i own an 805 as well & unless my definition of "hdmi pass through" is wrong (very well could be) the 805 does allow hdmi signals to "pass through" it & send to the tv via one hdmi cable. i think there are 3 or 4 into one, so you can hook up a dvd player, vid game console & cable box etc to the receiver, then it passes it through to the tv via a single hdmi. is that not pass through?

congrats on the 706, i also own the 605 for my upstairs smaller system, at 90wpc the 605 has plenty of power, makes my fortes sound very nice. think the 706 is 100wpc, plenty of power for any klipsch speaker. the 805 is 130wpc & is a great reveiver in every way. cant go wrong with onkyo for avr's.

Edited by klipschfancf4

It was a surprise, but the new to me Onkyo 706 was delivered to my door at 9:30 PM personally by a forum member from Indianapolis. It's a long story, but you can't beat the service. I'll leave it to the forum member to cast off anonymity to take credit for the great service.

I'm excited about experiencing the Audyssey feature of this AV receiver. It was a pleasant surprise to learn that it also has a phono section. Now if I can only steal the time to play with it.

Edited by DizRotus
  • Like 1

I recently purchased a used Onkyo HT-R960 7.1, 130w x 7 BUT I'm not thrilled. The sound is way too mellow and kind of flat for my taste. I tried changing many different audio settings but I could not get the same performance, or better, from my old Pioneer.

HT-R960 is now on up for sale. Anyone? :)

My old Pioneer VSX-D309, low-power 60w x 5, non-hdmi, using only optical for digital input, produced much better sound and richer notes coming from the RF3ii. When playing Titanium from Youtube, through Apple TV, notes from the piano and pitch from the cello is much more clear and crisp I can't get from the Onkyo.

00O0O_g3gRZ01Krhq_600x450.jpg