Phones... Ok I now see the point

justinsweber

This is the SET DHT dream brought to phones... The mid range bloom is incredible. I love knowing the tubes are older than my father and finally being put to service... Mold on boxes and all. Having heard many a SS headphone amp I can do a brief comparison. SS is quitter though this amp is very very quite. The 1626 Tube Head phone DHT, Zero feedback has all the midrange and timbral I could want... Drive is very good with my 40ohm 100db efficient phones. I now know for sure that I like my SET amps with a hair of feedback... I may add -3db of feedback later but for now Im just enjoying the music... Back to the carpet starring at the ceiling... :-)

gallery_36992_89_106739.jpg

gallery_36992_89_56111.jpg

gallery_36992_89_115363.jpg

Top to bottom pretty darn impressive. I generally perfer to the SE-84... The SE84 is an all around solution, which does many many things really well... This was per pose built to see what the hype was about. Im using nice but supper cheap Monoprice phones... They have great reviews on AK and were $30 or so... what better way to test :-).

I have very critical listening actual studio cans that are stone cold or a bit harsh when listening depending on quality of a recording and source and music enjoyment phones that are a bit heavy on tone yet provide what i enjoy when listening to headphones that obviously vary from user to user and so many others my wife and daughter uses. I replace my critical listening and music enjoyment phones yearly through each manufacturer Likewise studio hp amp and one i prefer for enjoyment. Feedback seems to provide a bit more when critically listening to recordings or particular formats basically allowing particular flaws to become known for editing. By your description of midrange i would say its possible you have a high end valve hp processing amp good for studio. Actuating high and lows in recordings in critical listening in my opinion and many others is not good. Everybody has their own opinion especially on hp forums you know how crazy they get. Very interesting your vast range of knowledge being put to work in many audio directions. Best of luck

• Like 2

This is the SET DHT dream brought to phones... The mid range bloom is incredible. I love knowing the tubes are older than my father and finally being put to service... Mold on boxes and all. Having heard many a SS headphone amp I can do a brief comparison. SS is quitter though this amp is very very quite. The 1626 Tube Head phone DHT, Zero feedback has all the midrange and timbral I could want... Drive is very good with my 40ohm 100db efficient phones. I now know for sure that I like my SET amps with a hair of feedback... I may add -3db of feedback later but for now Im just enjoying the music... Back to the carpet starring at the ceiling... :-)

Try a 45 Tube for even more 'Bloom'

Awesome work my friend ! That looks like a piece of art work setting on your carpet. Keep us updated on your impressions.I found Headphones did not impress me

at all when I first put them on I hated the fact that everything was inside my head. Everything just seemed lifeless and uninspiring, Once paired with the proper amp

headphones opened up a whole other dimension to my listening experience, I found them UBER revealing adding layers to music I had not heard before. I have found

in open air setups the system would scale nicely with better amplification, Headphones seem to amplify that trait even more. (IE... a better amp they get much better

sounding

It’s still a work in progress... as most things in life are... right now its a standard darling circuit with 4 sec. power supply with 47uf per. The DC ripple is around 20mv which is 4x times what I am used to.

My production amps generally roll off the line with between 5mv and 12mv which means I can hear them... :-). I won’t be selling until I get the ripple crazy low. As I was reminded by Shannon Sparks the ratios used for the 32ohm and 600ohm taps offer much less attenuation and thus Ill need to beef up the filtering... Arg. With he noise floor lower I think it was be a wonderful amp... goes low and has very good HF ext all with the same mid range id expect.