Heresy units usable in a Cornwall enclosure...?

Paul29

Have Heresy 165 Y 149/150. No idea which year.

Have heard Cornwall and the 3 units seem the same as in my Heresy.

Even the distance between Midhorn and Bass is the same.

Cornwall is more to my taste .

Can I use the speakers in a self--built Cornwall....?

Anyone any experience or ideas on it..?

Thanks

Paul

Welcome to the forum Paul. The short answer is "yes" you can use the H components in the Cornwall cabinet ..... but you will need to modify the front baffle to accept the smaller 12" H woofer as well as the mid horn cutout. In addition, the H woofer won't need the C large cabinet and you will probably need to fill some of the interior space with Styrofoam or something else to take us come cubic inches. You'll need the T?S

You'll also have to calculate new port dimensions.

That's a lot of work. You may consider using the K-33 woofer in a C box with the mid and tweeter horns in H. Make sure the woofer impedances match and you may have to tinker with the woofer x over section and check the mid ant tweeter spl to match the 15" woofer.

thanks to all great help and insights.

Hoped to have more bass frequencies from the Heresy.

They go not lower then around 60-70 Hz. now which is not of my taste.

A 12 ich bass unit can go lower then 70 Hz so am trying to squeeze out a little more by having more inner volume.

That is what i thought .....can i find somehere the specs of the 12 inch ....?

The Heresy only goes to about 50Hz on a good day because it is really a vented box woofer in a sealed box enclosure. Size constraints requires it to be 2cf. You can put the H woofer in a properly designed box and go lower but now as low as Cornwall K-33 woofer in a properly designed box. Tradeoffs galore.

on a good day...2cf meaning....2cutoff...

Crossover is the E-2 type with the 33uF over the woofer and 4mH choke.

Naughty as i am.... changed the 33uF with a better one and the first 2uF with a silver in oil 2.2uF one.

Did the speakers a lot of good..but the woofer... the horntweeter is not going wild either ..up to around 15-16Khz.....with a violin you notice....

Bob sells an eminance tweeter which is used in discoland and another woofer for the k33.....there might be other possibilities....

Am in europe so shipping is no option anyway...

Any hints or ideas on this...

Did Mr Heresy have them in his shed when he started to make speakers.....not much space..... and not to attrack to many young girls from the neighbourhood into his outhouse ...so to avoid .....heresy in these days....or just as more of a nonsence..tripe...project.

On ebay see a AA crossover with 3 paperinoil Aerovox caps ..seems a good idea.

Edited by Paul29