Bass Horn cabinet design ?

Preemptive strike (maybe) so here's the scenario I may be looking to buy / build a bass horn cabinet that can play effectively from close to 25 hz up to 180 / 200hz

this would be part of a bi-amped 2 way system using a full range horn from 150hz to 20khz,

I know ZERO about the math involved in building a horn so throwing all the numbers my way will be of no use, basically I would like to know the deminsions of a cabinet which could perform at the 25 to 200 hz range

also if there are plans available, and what drivers you would use in said cabinet. I feel like this is a pipe dream and a cabinet would be huge but I have been wrong before

Joe

Thanks Carl, that is quite interesting, and extremely provocative. We need a new thread on this, or is there one anywhere?

I would be willing to run some numbers on a THT if this hasn't already been done in the past. I wish djk would have given more info on that curve. Very interesting!

I have found the guys over at the AVS Forum, sub forum DIY Speakers and Subs to be incredibly knowlegable and helpful when it comes to projects exactly like you want to do. They can help you with measurements, plans, drivers, enclosure material, bracing, budget, amp options, etc etc.

No need to re-invent the wheel. B)

Edit: I saw the reference to the Table Tuba, in Post #6. That is offered by Bill Fitzmaurice, and he posts frequently on the AVS DIY Speakers and Subs forum. You could ask questions directly to him if you wanted, and he will give you good advice, even if that advice points you to a different product or solution than what he offers.

Edited by wvu80

If you believe any of those graphs I have a bridge for sale.

Agreed, but I try not to be too vocal about it because people apparently really like what they have.

I think the AVS Forum suggestion is a good one, but there's all sorts of crazy there too.

Check out data-bass.com if you want to see real measurements and some good designs. You'll have to find the AVS Forum thread with the build plans.

Ricci's othorn is a crazy amazing cabinet if you're willing to drop some coin - although there are cheaper driver options too.

Edited by DrWho

If you believe any of those graphs I have a bridge for sale.

Agreed, but I try not to be too vocal about it because people apparently really like what they have.

I think the AVS Forum suggestion is a good one, but there's all sorts of crazy there too.

Check out data-bass.com if you want to see real measurements and some good designs. You'll have to find the AVS Forum thread with the build plans.

Ricci's othorn is a crazy amazing cabinet if you're willing to drop some coin - although there are cheaper driver options too.

Yes. What is the budget and output requirement? Size limitation? For high output with a little PEQ and very high efficiency, I would vote for the Brad Litz v3.0modification of the Danley LAB Horn using twin LAB12 drivers per cab. Here's a plot of the original vs. the improved version. The only reason I didn't build it is because I got Danley DTS-10 subs to really get down there and K402's. The LAB horn didn't go high enough to meet the K402 and I didn't want to go back to 4-way, so I designed the Quarter Pie Horn and built it with the LAB horn leftover lumber and such. However, I do believe the Low Profile Tuba HT is a good alternative because it uses a 15" driver instead of two 12's, but there may be a version that uses a single LAB12 driver, not sure. You just give up a little efficiency with the smaller box.

post-20774-0-76460000-1397276827_thumb.j

Edited by ClaudeJ1