24 bit dac question

davis419b

That is the page I went to but mine does not say dacmagic 100 in the upper right hand corner

I was not being disingenuous. This is the point where I went to someone who was more computer literate than me.

I do not understand what you mean when you say that mine does not say "Dacmagic 100 in the corner," Are you talking about the webpage or the DAC itself?

No the dac itself does not say dacnagic 100 on the front like the one on their website does but the last 4 digits in the serial number say 0100 so I do think it is an older 100.

7 pages in the span of ONE AFTERNOON... this is sick

does anyone ever just try stuff to see if it works?

I was about to wonder how we got 7 pages in one afternoon. Unfortunately it is fairly elementary.

1. List the hardware products

2. List the software you are trying to use, operating system and player

3. List what types of files you are trying to use

4. List settings in the sound configuration

5. List connections and cables

6. Tell us if the devices show up and recognize each other, if not you're in big trouble.

7. With most of that info and going pure digital to a dac, an answer should be in short order. You are either doing and using something wrong (file formats, etc) or the hardware is broken.

About all there is to it for non-video encoding and surround sound. (basically stereo).

Sorry not trying to sound bad but all this info should be itemized in one place as a reference point. Just trying to help because 7 pages in one afternoon is a little like shooting bird shot.

If I missed it in seven pages, please let me know.

7 pages in the span of ONE AFTERNOON... this is sick

does anyone ever just try stuff to see if it works?

I was about to wonder how we got 7 pages in one afternoon. Unfortunately it is fairly elementary.

1. List the hardware products

2. List the software you are trying to use, operating system and player

3. List what types of files you are trying to use

4. List settings in the sound configuration

5. List connections and cables

6. Tell us if the devices show up and recognize each other, if not you're in big trouble.

7. With most of that info and going pure digital to a dac, an answer should be in short order. You are either doing and using something wrong (file formats, etc) or the hardware is broken.

About all there is to it for non-video encoding and surround sound. (basically stereo).

Sorry not trying to sound bad but all this info should be itemized in one place as a reference point. Just trying to help because 7 pages in one afternoon is a little like shooting bird shot.

If I missed it in seven pages, please let me know.

Yes you missed it ! Problem is I don't know anything about any of it so that's why it is taking so long.

what comes to my mind is the USB 2 protocol for audio out. some dac chips require this from their input AND it is not supported by windows. as such USB 2 drivers must be installed on the source pc. my previous three dacs did not require this audio protocol, but my current one does. prior to installing these drivers my setup presented as the OP's did; pc showed music being played while the dac was fully lit up and apparently alive, but no sound was heard. once the drivers were loaded sound was heard.

my $0.02

pzanucci , what part of central texas are you in ?

Just outside of Austin.

I really am not trying to be rude here.

If you understand the parameters such as windows 7 or 8, how you are configuring and the connections, unless something is broken (which the hardware or software vendor may not want to agree with) then you should be able to at least get 16bit 44.1k out to the dac. Move up from there. Baby steps.

The reason I say toslink (optical) is that most hardware you buy has the drivers for the motherboard and since toslink is on the board, you could select that in the sound settings for the output. USB should just detect the DacMagic when plugged in, if not, the drivers are not there.

Some of the reasons I said to just go with Toslink is that it is a simple connection, probably shows up in your settings, and probably supports 24bit without forcing you to chase down a driver.

Most PCs required hardware driver support to be installed when running USB2 24 bit music files async. Toslink should avoid all that mess if the vendor of the PC was nice enough to install the proper drivers.

If you installed the Quada cube N3 system with Windows 7 then likely not all the hardware support shows up in the windows for selection and things won't work well unless you are sure you installed all the driver support on the supplemental disks.

Don,

If you want me to drive up and take a look at your setup, let me know. My setup is not like yours since I send my files to my my HTPC and let JR Media Center send the data to my Pre/Pro via HDMI. But, it can't be that complicated.

I will agree that Foobar is way more complicated than you need and there are other alternatives.

As far as spending $1500 on a DAC, I'm not sure you are going to get any real benefit that you don't already have. You are better off getting a quality crossover. IMHO.

I don't mind driving up there and taking a look at what you are doing. I can drop by in the evening if that is convenient for you.

Patience, grasshopper!