Off Topic: Basic Laptop ideas

minermark

So among my trip planning needs, I need to finely dive into the world of laptop(s).

My needs:

No Tablets, not the way I drop things.

1. Big screen 14" or better, bright, easy to read.

2. Full Wifi.

3. Name Brand.

Will be purchasing at Frys so I have someplace to return it if problems arise.

Will be using it for CL finds, road mapping/best route and such.

P.S. just as soon stay away from the Apple/Mac world, unless I have little choice in features.

Will likely be pickin one up on Tuesday, any input would be great.

• Like 2

13" is what you want... as the screen size rises from there, the units get much more expensive. besides, 13" is all you really need. I have both a 13 and a 17 and the 17 is just a behemoth and while mobile, I love the 13 much better.

there are so many in that range, what other specifics are you looking for?

do you need fast start times and schock resistence (SSD, but wont happen at 600$)?, do you need graphic performance? are you playing games?

remember, the higher the resolution the better the image but also the smaller the icons in that image (harder to read)

Amazon has a GREAT return policy, zero issues with new units.

Edited by Schu
  • Like 1

13" is what you want... as the screen size rises from there, the units get much more expensive. besides, 13" is all you really need. I have both a 13 and a 17 and the 17 is just a behemoth and while mobile, I love the 13 much better.

there are so many in that range, what other specifics are you looking for?

do you need fast start times and schock resistence (SSD, but wont happen at 600$)?, do you need graphic performance? are you playing games?

remember, the higher the resolution the better the image but also the smaller the icons in that image (harder to read)

Amazon has a GREAT return policy, zero issues with new units.

Imagine being in another state, sitting in a eatery and surfin the CL for your next purchase, then pulling up the gps/mapping to get there.

No gaming, nothing much more than the common Pc does.

• Like 2

I have been using an 11.5 inch screen Toshiba satellite series 15t after my tablet quit one month out of warranty. It's only slightly larger than the tablet, light enough not to be a nuisance and purchased from the Microsoft online store near the low end of your budget.

• Like 1

My wife bought a 15 inch screen Samsung ultralight from amazon also nearer the lower end of your budget. It is pretty slick, has a lighted keyboard, but while light by laptop standards feels much heavier than the little Toshiba. The bigger Samsung does feel much better made however. Look for long battery life if you can.

Most of these laptop brands are the same, get one that suits your needs and your budget.

Even the most basic laptop will have enough power to get you through your searches.

Frys offers good prices & many options, buy something new if you can, refurbished products can be iffy.

I take it the trip for the azura horns is back on ?? shock resistant will be an issue in price as well, most of the 500 and under pc are not really built for durability, they are budget build units and cut corners where possible

If you were closer I would let you have my spare laptop that is built like a tank HP Elitebook, aluminum sub structure and skin, and it is fast and powerful enough to use basically for anything you could throw at it. Over 2000 new

Since you will be using this for trips etc... I would actually suggest it would be easier to get a tablet and put a really good case on it, Otter box comes to mind, a friend at work dropped his Iphone from about 10 feet to a concrete floor and the otterbox saved it

Joe

if you do a lot of typing, a table can be challenging for some...large fingered.

but if you are competent, you can get used to a monitor keyboard, but it will never be exactly as comfortable or as proficient.

as mentioned above, most comp's in that price range of say... 400-650'ish are pretty much all similar, so you have to choose by reputation and customer service.

when you find one post it here and we can see if anything is lacking.

Edited by Schu

I use an hp that was $250 at walmart...now for a year and has been flawless..

We also bought the same type, just a $100 more for $350 at walmart and it has too been flawless in a years time..

That said just keep it cheap and with a descent name hp at the moment seems to be best bang for buck...

I also have a laptop that cost near $2k(about 5 months ago(January)...i wish i wouldnt had wasted the money...Sure its r7 or whatever lol but in my opinion its stupid lol and it indeed sits in a box...for a back up

My $250 HP is great(i did buy warrantys for both and 3 years cost like $100 each...pass on that, just buy a new one if for some reason it blows up lol)

EDIT: IF YOUR CLUMSY GET THE WARRANTY! SERIOUSLY....IT DOES COME IN HANDY

Edited by beeker
  • Like 2

I got my wife a Dell for 399 at Christmas. If you go to the business section, you can still get windows 7 machines. I don't recall the inch but it's a full size screen.

EDIT, looks like they've gone up in price, I may have gotten a Black Friday deal.

Edited by CECAA850
  • Like 1

I used Dell for years with my ex wife...she was an accountant etc for at&t so we had a new Dell every 6 months...

Anyhow they are goood to go...Just stay cheap, seriously. You will understand once you get a cheap dell and you'll be set untill 2018. Promise. :)

They all use the same parts, one manufacturer makes the mainboards for just about all the brands and the rest is nearly the same stuff.

Dell is OK but not worth paying extra for the name.

If you plan on getting a Windows 8 machine be sure to get a touchscreen, its worth the extra $.

• Like 1

looks to be a Dell at this point. :)

look at HP's offerings (asus is another LOW COST well built company)... if you get a choice between win8 and win 8.1... get 8.1

Edited by Schu

touchscreen is good for designs and that Mark has no need for(likely) ..stick with the cheap stuff lol seriously

I have a buddy who i grew up with who gets kickbacks in every machine(pc,laptop,netbook,tablet ps4,3,2,1, xbox etc...) made...

when nobody in the world had even 1 pc at a point in time. He had 7 machines and worked at home lives very modestly at an undisclosed location. At that point in time as well as today he will say just walk in to best buy and buy the cheapest you can find.

I just stated an absolutely true story and highly suggest keep it cheap( with a good brand name )although some of the new stuff is very, very good.

I work for basf and standox international. In my region I am at the top of the game in paint. My choices are lame in some views although extremely efficient let alone cost effective. I prefer no phone nor have an iphone or anything like it and can have one for free through work. My 15yr old daughter on the other hand has both the latest iphone 5, new ipdad and apple table top and new probook. I will leave it at that. I indeed bought them for her cash out of pocket. Through an apple account that is in her name to buy apple products for her schooling. Its overkill although true and cheap is best...unless you have other reasons like designs or keeping up with the Jonses lol

I second Schu...windows 8 takes a second to get used to although if you stick with windows 7 you will be obsloete in the year 2017...

I love windows 8.1...even if its just for the klipsch website and ebay basically :P