Circuit (household) Monitor

USNRET

I have a freezer and a re-freezerator in my garage on a circuit that also powers my sprinkler system and my landscape lighting. What is a re-freezerator you ask, that is a chest type freezer that my wife wants to maintain 32-33 degrees, no more / no less and I use digital temp monitoring to do what she says.

Anyways, twice now we have lost the perishables in the two cooling units due to a trip of a GFCI outlet on this circuit. You say fix the problem and I say I'll get a round tuit but for now I have installed this little gadget that uses a 9 volt battery to sound a loud azz alarm when the 120 circuit goes down. Not bad insurance for $30-40.

I have a freezer and a re-freezerator in my garage on a circuit that also powers my sprinkler system and my landscape lighting. What is a re-freezerator you ask, that is a chest type freezer that my wife wants to maintain 32-33 degrees, no more / no less and I use digital temp monitoring to do what she says.

Anyways, twice now we have lost the perishables in the two cooling units due to a trip of a GFCI outlet on this circuit. You say fix the problem and I say I'll get a round tuit but for now I have installed this little gadget that uses a 9 volt battery to sound a loud azz alarm when the 120 circuit goes down. Not bad insurance for $30-40.

You might want to figure out what caused the ground fault in the first place. It is an indication that there is live power somewhere that is shorting to ground for some reason, which does not trip an ordinary breaker.

All the outlets in that garage all all on the same circuit. I am leaning towards either the landscape (transformed 12 vac) lighting having water intrusion or the short cycling 32/33 degree re-freezerator in conjunction with the other freezer pulling inrush current at the same time but I understand that GFCIs are not supposed to act upon that type of current draw (heat) (freezer/freezer). Another plan is to replace the GFCI outlet to see if it's weak.

Just thought you guys might come across a use for the "alarm".

You have to be at home for an alarm.

Right about that but for 23.9 out of 24 she is. The two times it has happened we didn't notice for days.

Oh, I'll get it fixed and if I pop a breaker or it's more than once every 3 months (and happened twice) I'll secure something. Has to be repeatable and broken before you can fix it.

Edited by USNRET

Another plan is to replace the GFCI outlet to see if it's weak.

Can that circuit use a normal breaker?

Has a normal break but has GFCI outlet. I honestly do not know the code. Attached garage, 120 outlets; required? Not? Would suggest? Would say get rid of the GFCI?

Would say get rid of the GFCI?

Absolutely.

I had a pool pump go out every time it rained hard. The electrician said all it had to do was detect the slightest bit of moisture to trip. Basically an immeasurable continuity to ground to triger. He replaced the GFCI and I never had another problem.

We had a problem in our garage where an outlet would keep shutting off... We tracked it down to a GFI outlet on the other side of the wall that was on the same circuit and was bad. Problem solved for us. Maybe you have a bad GFI outlet too.

• Like 1

• Moderators

And for outdoor circuits, in most places anyway ?

All the sprinkler systems we installed were low voltage, inside the control boxes are little transformers, just to run low voltage solenoids. But I will say they are really particular about having a good ground on the low voltage side. I don't know if that could affect the ground on the other side of the little transformer ?

I have changed a few control boxes for people who not even our customers because they had so many problems, most can be tracked down to a bad ground. most people insisted I just change the control box they were so frustrated.

Two control boxes I have here were given to me and they work perfectly but people wanted them changed even when I fixed the ground problem and they worked they insisted it was the box. Not my customer so I ended up with a few free control boxes, gave most away and only kept two, one I use and a spare.

We had a problem in our garage where an outlet would keep shutting off... We tracked it down to a GFI outlet on the other side of the wall that was on the same circuit and was bad. Problem solved for us. Maybe you have a bad GFI outlet too

Unless more problems appear with additional information I am going with you and the others with a new GFCI outlet first. 'specially since I have 4 or five new ones........

And for outdoor circuits, in most places anyway ?

All the sprinkler systems we installed were low voltage, inside the control boxes are little transformers, just to run low voltage solenoids. But I will say they are really particular about having a good ground on the low voltage side. I don't know if that could affect the ground on the other side of the little transformer ?

I have changed a few control boxes for people who not even our customers because they had so many problems, most can be tracked down to a bad ground. most people insisted I just change the control box they were so frustrated.

Two control boxes I have here were given to me and they work perfectly but people wanted them changed even when I fixed the ground problem and they worked they insisted it was the box. Not my customer so I ended up with a few free control boxes, gave most away and only kept two, one I use and a spare.

With ya dtel, about 6 months after an expansion of my irrigation system (2 additional zones) I was faced with a faulty connection, d*mn low voltage ground - at a wire nut reeked havoc.

I would consult a licensed electrician to review your garage and bring everything to code. I am sorry but since your electrical system has demonstrated that there is a good chance there has been a ground fault, the LAST thing you should be doing is removing the very thing that protects you from electrocution.

• Like 1

Around here GFCI required for bathrooms, kitchens, and outdoors. When I was building my home I asked the electrical inspector if GFCI was required for under the house? He looked at me with a Blank Stare and said "I never heard of anyone wiring the crawl space before." So I told him I'd wire GFCI and we would know it was legal.

I have lights, and a thermostatic controlled heater for when it freezes.

Pipes don't freeze, and ya don't need a flashlight under there.

Remember, Code is bare minimum of what is legal.

And GFCI is not idiot proof.

You got one life. Spend it wisely!

Edited by Taz

• Moderators
With ya dtel, about 6 months after an expansion of my irrigation system (2 additional zones) I was faced with a faulty connection, d*mn low voltage ground - at a wire nut reeked havoc.

That's usually how it happens, they make a special little wirenut to help with this. It has a little cover with slits on the opening and the inside is filled with dielectric grease, had good luck with them even when under water.

Good idea with the alarm, that's a lot cheaper then having everything go bad even once.

Edited by dtel

As you can tell by our responses to your helpful communication, intended to provide others with a solution to a common problem, about a useful device, at low cost:

"We don't care about your stinkin' alarm. Keep your advice to yourself!" :)

• Like 1

Around here GFCI required for bathrooms, kitchens, and outdoors.

Guess it's different here. Of course, mine wasn't a GFCI receptacle. It was a breaker. Of note, I had a licensed electrician do the work and was assured it was up to code.

• Moderators
And GFCI is not idiot proof. You got one life. Spend it wisely!

I have found nothing is idiot proof.

It's only a little 110v, a little shock treatment will not hurt most around here, it's just makes you pay attention a little more. :blink:

• Like 1