Anybody here buy their eyeglasses online?

JL Sargent

Went to Walmart and ordered a pair for casual w/ Fatheadz brand frames Cost was $269.00 w/tax

You got all the bells and whistles then. Glasses can be had for much less there depending on how much you can live without. Name brand frames, scratch resistant glass, photo sensitive coatings and no line bi-focals bump the price considerably.

Afraid not. The frames were only $68.00. I got the "middle of the road lens they offer and not the transitions. All the bells and whistles would have easily been another $150.00.

i wish you all the best on finding glasses. luckily i have the same pair i got when i was 11. now over 25yers later they work fine. my ex and kids took me to get new ones it was about $50 test and out the door to get what was the current fashion.

i tossed them i like my 25+ year old lenses. they work the same as the day i bought them. good luck to you all in your eyeglass venture...

It only takes 1 pair ya know? i use mine for driving mostly in the rain and at night...they are in the car, the 1 car i normally drive, or move them to the truck lol

You only need 1 pair? heck i used mine for sheilds at work even...lasted this long...still good as new...good luck to all!!

Your post is too funny. One pair? Let me give you a quick history on my eyeglass situation:

I have:

1) lost a pair in the Gulf of Mexico

2) had a pair get run over by a tractor trailer rig I had just worked on

3) broke at the temple a pair which I superglued together and have on my face as of this post LOL.

4) If I somehow manage to not break them my prescription changes about every 2 years anyway.

5) Maybe the best one was traveling about 80 miles per hour in a bass boat and decided to look behind us. Glasses touched down 20ft behind the boat sinking into the deep.

i wish you all the best on finding glasses. luckily i have the same pair i got when i was 11. now over 25yers later they work fine. my ex and kids took me to get new ones it was about $50 test and out the door to get what was the current fashion.

i tossed them i like my 25+ year old lenses. they work the same as the day i bought them. good luck to you all in your eyeglass venture...

It only takes 1 pair ya know? i use mine for driving mostly in the rain and at night...they are in the car, the 1 car i normally drive, or move them to the truck lol

You only need 1 pair? heck i used mine for sheilds at work even...lasted this long...still good as new...good luck to all!!

Your post is too funny. One pair? Let me give you a quick history on my eyeglass situation:

I have:

1) lost a pair in the Gulf of Mexico

2) had a pair get run over by a tractor trailer rig I had just worked on

3) broke at the temple a pair which I superglued together and have on my face as of this post LOL.

4) If I somehow manage to not break them my prescription changes about every 2 years anyway.

5) Maybe the best one was traveling about 80 miles per hour in a bass boat and decided to look behind us. Glasses touched down 20ft behind the boat sinking into the deep.

Understood. My ex stepson had terrible sight bless his heart and bless yours. Every week we had issues with his glasses as well(no offense)your instances are indeed adult related situations. I certainly wish you the best JL. I hope you get them free ultimately.

Afraid not. The frames were only $68.00. I got the "middle of the road lens they offer and not the transitions. All the bells and whistles would have easily been another $150.00.

I just bought 1 pair of bi-focals and 2 pair of non bi-focals. I could use insurance on the bi-focals and had a coupon for the other 2 pair. I paid less than $150 for all 3 pair combined.

Carl, I wonder what your glasses would have cost without the coupon or insurance?

Have you tried progressive lenses? Yes, they cost more but good gosh man, you'll get away from your present 1800s technology. :D

Edited by JL Sargent

Insurance covered about 1/2 of the bi-focals. The coupon was 20.00 off one pair and some percentage off the second.

This is the first time I've ever bought glasses. I figured I'd see how bad lined bi-focals were as I had no preconception as what to expect. I like them. They're computer glasses. The bottom focus's close (maybe 18" max) which is perfect for the keyboard as I can't type without looking. It's also good for close detail work. The top lens focus's out to about 4 feet which is perfect for the monitor and the table. The single focus lenses are both for far vision, one clear for TV and night driving and one sun glass pair for day time driving.

Off topic, wait till you try the new vodka I found. It's better than what you had last time.

Carl

I have bought several pair from Zenni Optical and have been happy. I usually buy my one pair from my eye doctor, but buy a spare and sunglasses online. My wife did the same and has no-line bifocals and she says they are as good as the $400 ones she bought from the doctor.

JL, what you paid for all three pairs of glasses might get you one pair from a private optician here in NJ! Keep in mind that there are differences in the optical quality of lenses (some have more distortion or chromatic aberration than others, for example). Even among individual manufacturers there are usually many different types of progressives each having specific features (such as a wider or narrower reading corridor). So, if the 3 pairs that you bought each use a different type of progressive, it may be impossible to reach a fair conclusion as to which is best. The optical industry is no different from any other in that huge corporations are controlling the show. For example, Luxottica Group (probably the biggest eyeglass frame manufacturer in the world) owns Pearle Vision, Lenscrafters, Sears Optical, Target Optical, and Sunglass Hut. They also own EyeMed, one of the biggest providers of vision care insurance in the country. And recently, Essilor, one of the biggest lens manufacturers (owners of Varilux brand progressives among others), bought Coastal Contact lenses for almost a half billion dollars (not a bad return for the guy who founded Coastal only 14 years ago)!!! So, as with everything else, just follow the money trail.........

Maynard

Maynard, you are right. The most expensive pair of progressive lenses I looked at were priced at $279 per lens. I just couldn't see spending that for the very small periferal improvment they provided yet tripling the cost of my glasses! We'll see what I get and if I'm happy with my purchases.

Oh my goodness! So I get a call yesterday that the first pair of glasses (Samsclub) is ready. I roll in there at 6:30 last night and put them on my face and cannot believe that they are WRONG. The far vision is terrible. I'm wondering what can be the problem? I also had a sinking feeling about the other two glasses I had ordered that now apparently had the wrong prescription!

In a frantic I tried calling the other two places (Walmart and an online place) to hold those orders pending prescription verification. So it turns out the eye doc. had simply wrote +1 for both eyes on the diopter when it should have been -1 for both. She accidentally gave me a prescription for farsightedness when I have always been nearsighted. Of course I realized this could really bite me on the butt with the online pair but luckily for me they had not made my glasses yet so could change my prescription.