Crossover Identity

Hello, I'm hoping someone can help me out. Opened up my cornwalls circa 1981 and replaced the tweeters with Crites' CT125s all good. Now looking at the crossovers they do not seem to match any type B crossover picture that I can find even though they are identified as Type B on the crossover itself. I'm hoping someone can look at the attached photo and advise if the crossover has been modified in any way. Cheers

post-55853-0-70060000-1398934933_thumb.j

Edited by Woodpecker
  • Like 1

If you wish to get them up to Par, just send them to Bob, your already know crites, he will do a nice recap job and fully test.

IMHO who cares what they are, as long as they do what you need..... :)

That will be done in good time, but in the meantime, I care, hence the question. :-)

• Like 1

If you wish to get them up to Par, just send them to Bob, your already know crites, he will do a nice recap job and fully test.

That will be done in good time, but in the meantime, I care, hence the question. :-)

When I said (IMHO who cares what they are) did not mean to sound off the cuff, it's just that when I see those caps, all I think of is replacement ASAP.

• Like 1

Here is the schematic for the B:

Cornwall%20Original%20B%20Xover11.jpg

I have found that the layout of networks seems to change even when the schematic stays the same. The fact that you cannot find one that looks like yours may only mean the layout was changed.

Look at your network compared to the schematic. Is it the same?

If you had more pictures at different angles, perhaps we could help figure out the actual diagram. One thing I notice right off the bat is the number of capacitors on your crossover as compared to the stock B. It looks sorta like a B2, but that extra yellow cap in parallel with the oil cap on the bottom left is interesting.

Klipsch_B2_network.jpg

Edited by mustang guy
  • Like 1

It looks sorta like a B2, but that extra yellow cap in parallel with the oil cap on the bottom left is interesting.
Plus having two inductors along with the autoformer...

It's a Type B2. The yellow cap is marked "12.0", and the can it's soldered to is undoubtedly an 8uF. You can see one of the leads tied back to one of the woofer terminals.

All of the cans are leaking.

• Like 2

Dean has it.

It looks sorta like a B2, but that extra yellow cap in parallel with the oil cap on the bottom left is interesting.
Plus having two inductors along with the autoformer...

Yup, the B2 has an air core, and iron core, and an autoformer. That yellow cap must have been an add on, right Dean?

I think they came straight from the factory that way. We've seen just about everything imaginable come out of that place. If you run out of 20s, and you have some 8s, all you need to do is find some 12s.

One thing we have learned over the years is that with Klipsch, anything is possible. My hand begins to tremble when I hear "80-something Cornwall" from the other end of the telephone.

• Like 1

When I said (IMHO who cares what they are) did not mean to sound off the cuff, it's just that when I see those caps, all I think of is replacement ASAP.

Thanks mate, no offense taken, just had a good look around and have seen nothing like it.

• 3 months later...

Finally getting replacements through Bob.  On closer inspection they are labelled "B" in the traditional red print label on the crossover but more faintly they have been embossed with 2T after the B and this is also handwritten on the label on the back of the cabinet.  I noticed elsewhere on this site that another member in 2002 had the same thing but the community could not resolve the issue.  I'm here to say he was not alone, a B2-T it is!  T for transition maybe?

Edited by Woodpecker
  • Like 2

Finally getting replacements through Bob.  On closer inspection they are labelled "B" in the traditional red print label on the crossover but more faintly they have been embossed with 2T after the B and this is also handwritten on the label on the back of the cabinet.  I noticed elsewhere on this site that another member in 2002 had the same thing but the community could not resolve the issue.  I'm here to say he was not alone, a B2-T it is!  T for transition maybe?

You will be happy with Bob's units, cannot beat fresh Caps, and it has been a lot of peoples experience after installing, Breakin/Conditioning period of like 8+ hours run time, and then they seem to dial themselfs in.

Refreshed my wifes 89Khorns withe Crites and she was the one that told me the sound was changing every hour, getting better but changing.

As i remember she ran her's 2 hours a day for about 5 days, coming home one night and walking into amazing sound, i had hope they would keep that perfect sound, and they did.

This is by no means a big deal, some people dont even notice.