Speaker Wire?

Cosmic_surfer

My preferred wire for the last few years has been Kord, american made and by the foot shipped to you door.

http://www.knukonceptz.com/productDetail.cfm?prodID=KRD10BL

Will this work for in-wall use? It doesn't seem to have the right jacket. I see they have a different cable for in wall use.

No harm running this stuff in the walls, not like your going to run 220 or 221 through it.

Bad move. If you run non CL2 "in wall" rated wire inside the walls and have a fire, be prepared for a battle with your insurance company for coverage. It doesn't matter if that wire caused the fire or not.

• Like 1

My preferred wire for the last few years has been Kord, american made and by the foot shipped to you door.

Will this work for in-wall use? It doesn't seem to have the right jacket. I see they have a different cable for in wall use.

No harm running this stuff in the walls, not like your going to run 220 or 221 through it.

Bad move. If you run non CL2 "in wall" rated wire inside the walls and have a fire, be prepared for a battle with your insurance company for coverage. It doesn't matter if that wire caused the fire or not.

Well I assumed that the homeowner would run a rated conduit/flex as I have always done, not only for insurance, but the fact you can run any kind of wire you wish inside conduit/flex, the other reason iv always ran flex aluminum was to insure I could repull add and subtract wires as needed in the future.

Lic C-10 electrical some years back.

Absolutely correct, run only in wall rated wire when running wires within your walls.

Well I assumed that the homeowner would run a rated conduit/flex as I have always done, not only for insurance, but the fact you can run any kind of wire you wish inside conduit/flex, the other reason iv always ran flex aluminum was to insure I could repull add and subtract wires as needed in the future.

Standard speaker wire is not made to run through conduit, it will catch & strip off the jacket causing a short.

Use the right wire for application and save yourself a headache.

Standard speaker wire is not made to run through conduit, it will catch & strip off the jacket causing a short.

20+ years of pulling wire (every type there is) iv never cut into a conductor, not once, guess that's the difference between a professional Electrical C-10 Lic holder and the rest of the public at large.

You will find ALL theaters run conduit, ALL of Them.

20+ years of pulling wire (every type there is) iv never cut into a conductor, not once, guess that's the difference between a professional Electrical C-10 Lic holder and the rest of the public at large.

Not everyone has your pedigree. Best to use in-wall rated wire. Many people are retrofitting their homes and don't have the ability to run conduit also. New construction is much easier but running after the fact is different (but you should know!)

You will find ALL theaters run conduit, ALL of Them.

That's wonderful, i have 25+ years experience myself.

With all your experience you have to admit that it would be much easier to catch & strip a soft jacketed speaker wire than it would be to strip a wire made to be pulled through a stretch of conduit.

Aluminum wire is outlawed around here because connections can be a major a fire hazard.

... Best to use in-wall rated wire. Many people are retrofitting their homes and don't have the ability to run conduit also. New construction is much easier but running after the fact is different (but you should know!)

Without conduit, when running wires through walls, or (especially) attic or crawl space, how does one keep the occasional rat from using the wire as a chew toy? We and our neighbors just spent about $3K each getting rid of rats.

If running wires through crawl space, does winter cold affect performance?

We ran speaker wires through totally wood enclosed troughs in the floor.

Any of these methods would give Mapleshade a fit of some kind.

... Best to use in-wall rated wire. Many people are retrofitting their homes and don't have the ability to run conduit also. New construction is much easier but running after the fact is different (but you should know!)

Without conduit, when running wires through walls, or (especially) attic or crawl space, how does one keep the occasional rat from using the wire as a chew toy? We and our neighbors just spent about $3K each getting rid of rats.

If running wires through crawl space, does winter cold affect performance?

We ran speaker wires through totally wood enclosed troughs in the floor.

Any of these methods would give Mapleshade a fit of some kind.

Well being that there is a known critter problem, Metalic conduit is the best insurance, you do this and your wire run just got a tad more expensive. but you only do it once. myself for a front to back room run 1 1/4 min, and nothing more than low voltage in that conduit, that means for you theater junkies NO LED dimmer runs, No Back wall wash lighting, No Nothing, just speaker wire.

I do mostly CCTV sidework these days, low voltage RG59 and Plenum Cat, and critters like to chew on that stuff too.

If there is one thing a critter likes knawing on, it's soft material.

Edited by minermark