Belle Klipsch Mid Range Upgrade

Hi Folks

Long time lurker, first post.

I am looking into upgrading my mid range horns.

I found Volti V-Trac and Dave's Fastrac horns as 2 options.

I have read good things about the Fastrac, but not much about the V-Trac, The V-Track is almost twice the price of the Fastrac. The 2 differences I have seen are 1. the V-Trac's k-55 mounting set up and 2. the Fastrac is assembled with screws where the V-Track is not.

Has any one had an opportunity to listen to both of these horns? Do you think the difference in construction techniques justifies the difference in price and does the price difference offer a substantially audible difference?

Thanks

• Like 1

I have the Volti version which was a substantial improvement over old stock components to my ears but I have not heard Dave's Fastrac so I can 't help you with the comparison. I have used both ALK Universals and now have the Extremes in all three Belles.

Other than testimonials, I have not seen much in the way of well-done measurements on those two options. They may be out there, but I am ignorant of them. If you want a turn key solution, make sure that a crossover has been designed for them for your specific application (with measurements, of course).

Another option, which is not turn key, is to replace the mid and tweeter sections with a Klipsch K-510 horn. That could sound very nice.

PrestonTom

My crossovers are ALK universals that I Built. From what I've read I am planing on using my k-55 midrange driver with an adapter, which has me leaning towards the Volti V-Trac because Greg Roberts at Volti has spent some time getting the k-55 to work well with his V-Trac. I also want to keep my old beat up belles looking stock....

Thanks

PrestonTom

My crossovers are ALK universals that I Built. From what I've read I am planing on using my k-55 midrange driver with an adapter, which has me leaning towards the Volti V-Trac because Greg Roberts at Volti has spent some time getting the k-55 to work well with his V-Trac. I also want to keep my old beat up belles looking stock....

Thanks

Your application is a Belle and a K-55 driver, was the Volti designed with that in mind?

I always get concerned about a one-size fits all solution. However, I have not specifically worked with these components. Is there someone with measuring equipment and experience who has worked with these combinations?

Guest David H

The Volti horn was designed specifically for a Belle, however was designed for use with a 2 inch driver, thus the adapter.

Dave

I think there is a difference between being here just to promote your product and promoting your product through education while being here.

Dave makes better horns. Period. I would not buy a Volti horn. Dave also provides an adapter.

I don't know Dave, maybe you should charge more.

I went with the Volti V-Trac. The thought and time that went into the adapter sold me. Plus if I ever get the cash together I can try a 2" Driver. Yeah I know that I could do that with the Fastrac also, but that's what it came down to for me the adapter.

Peace

Edited by bp-plickner

I literally think this is the first I have ever heard someone choose anything audio because of an adapter........................... :wacko:

Not that your choice is good or bad, both builders have put in huge amounts of time into horn design, and I have never heard a bad report on either one of them

Ever notice how you never get a bad report on anything around here? Maybe I should let you field my phone calls for a while.

The rate of expansion for the adapters isn't correct, and this area of the throat is the most critical. As usual, we get no measurements.

Edited by DeanG

Guest David H

I am not a big fan of the adapters either, but I also offer one as an upgrade path for the k-55.

Curious as to why you would been comparing the V-trac to the Fastrac instead of the Eliptrac 400?

I assume this is because the Eliptrac is setup to be used with risers on a Belle, and the op wanted the original look.

Thanks for the support Dean.

Dave

Guest David H
Plus if I ever get the cash together I can try a 2" Driver.

Yes, 2 inch horns work much better with a 2 inch driver, rather than an adapter. Save your coin and upgrade.

Dave

Why the adapters as an audio decision? Well it seems to me the whole idea of changing out the stock horn of my belles is because of the distortion that I believe is caused by the geometry of the horn. So that leads me to believe the geometry of a tractrix style horn will help reduce that distortion. Right or wrong I think the volti adapter attempts to compensate the geometry for the klipsch less than 1" driver for a horn designed for a 2" driver. Maybe 6 of one and a half dozen of the other?

What Dave said about the original look is true

Edited by bp-plickner

Start saving for those 2" drivers... you won't be sorry! The thing about those adapters is that it cuts into your budget that could have gone towards new drivers. The K-55 is great but it just can't do what a 2" can do.

Don't worry about it and enjoy... until you get the upgrade bug again!

• Thanks 1