Which amp, Marantz mm8077 or Emotiva xpa-5?

@1618

Hey guys I recently purchased a Marantz av8003 preamp (used) to power Klipsch klf30's for fronts and a klf c-7 center, a Velodyne sub and some Klipsch rears. My question is which power amp would sound better, the Marantz mm8077 150wpc, or the Emotiva xpa-5 with 200wpc? Would the Marantz match better with the av8003 because of the same make or the Emotiva because of it's 200wpc? The Marantz is $1299 (refurbished) and the Emotiva $999 new.

Thanks for any help

I can't answer your question directly but I use the Emotiva XPA-5 with my Marantz AV-8801 pre/pro and had it with my now defunct Onkyo PR-SC5507 with Belles and like it just fine in HT mode.

My question is which power amp would sound better, the Marantz mm8077 150wpc, or the Emotiva xpa-5 with 200wpc?

The Emo is clearly more powerful but does it sound better? Only your ears can honestly answer that question.

Would the Marantz match better with the av8003 because of the same make or the Emotiva because of it's 200wpc?

Visually, the Marantz will "match" better. Synergy wise, only way to know is test and decide.

If you wanted to drive an all Heritage HT setup, then I would definitely go with the Marantz.

With that said, the Emo most likely will drive your KLF system better(more bass drive, better detail) but will it sound better, I can't say without testing.

Bill

• Moderators

I've owned a Parasound HCA2205a (220 x 5), a B&K 200.5 (200 x 5) and now a Sherbourn 72100a (200 x 7) and to my ears, I'm not sure I could tell a difference between the three. If it were me, I would opt for the Emotiva XPA-5 since it is cheaper, it's been known as a great amp with very good build quality and it has more power.

Emotiva Sucks Sorry

I would not put it that way but I was not too impressed with the UPA-2 that I owned briefly. I demoed it head to head with an Acurus A150 and IMO, the Acurus won hands down. Now the XPA-5 G1 and G2 are different animals that can hold their own pretty well against more expensive competitors.

Bill

My experience with Marantz is that it will provide better sound quality with Klipsch than most alternatives. I've used Marantz integrateds with 2 ch Klipsch systems and currently use Marantz separates (7055 and 7005) in my all KLF home theater. The sound quality is fantastic. I don't have a personal basis for comparrison, but I've seen many comments on Emo over time and most of the praise seems to be with regard to price and power, not sound quality. My choices came down to Marantz and Emo at upgrade time and sound quality (based on prior experience) with a Marantz/Klipsch combination drove my decision. Oh yeah, Marantz (at least my power amp) is all channels driven. I have plenty of headroom. Again, I don't have personal experience with Emo but I don't regret my decision at all based on the results i've gotten. Good luck and cheers to all !!

Emotiva Sucks Sorry

I would not put it that way but I was not too impressed with the UPA-2 that I owned briefly. I demoed it head to head with an Acurus A150 and IMO, the Acurus won hands down. Now the XPA-5 G1 and G2 are different animals that can hold their own pretty well against more expensive competitors.

Bill

Both of the Acurus amps i got from you have been great with my Paradigm Signature 2's. Seems the Acurus just keeps on going and going and stays cool.