80" LED over the fireplace?

JL Sargent

We are discussing the possibility of installing a new LED TV above our fireplace. I have confirmed that an 80" will physically fit nicely there. The room in question is 18'x14' and the fireplace is at the center of the long wall. So I'm thinking the viewing distance will be 10' to 12'. So the tv might be too big for the room? Might be too much of a good thing lol. What do you guys think?

Several years ago i had an 80" widscreen with the big back on it. Anyhow...even comparing it to a 100" projector I had years ago it was an experience...If you feel the want and everything lines up I would say go for it...

I have shrank now to a smart 50" slim smart tv and a normal 50" flat sony in the other room....I slowly dropped from the 100"+ in projector to then a great deal on the 80" then to a 60" and now my 50" tv's....im not so much into the big screen situation...

It is quite a difference even 5 or 10 inches in screen size...and i do prefer the easy use and quiet big led's compared to any projectors that all drive me nuts with their noise....

good luck on the hunt and enjoy JL!!

• Moderators

I was wrong, I measured tonight and I'm 10' from my 103" screen and I have always felt the screen could be quite a bit larger. I typically sit in the middle of the movie theater, usually the first row behind the main Isle where the rail is.

I suppose you like sitting in the front row at the movie theater too, and, I mean like somewhere other than your home.....

No thank you. Sitting in front of a screen thats bigger than a house is a little different than one thats 125". :D

Edited by reference_head