Lots of sub-bass choices for LaScalla's

mdross1

It seems the more research I do looking for the best route to take for getting deep bass for our LaScalla's the more options I'm finding,even to the extent of building separate horn cabs. It would be so much easier to listen to the choices then build what will do the job taking up the least bit of real estate.

My first choice would be the ported box for the opened doghouse LaScalla ,second was the quarter pie (really too big for our room) third is the Bill Fitzmaurice Tuba series cabs.

The bottom line is getting the sub bass without filling the room with speaker mods or cabs searching for the really deep wattage hungry spl

• Like 1

I have found that horn loaded subwoofers is a better match for the LaScala. It makes sense since the LaScala is fully horn loaded. There are many horn loaded horn plans. I myself built Bill Fitzmaurice's Tuba Home Theaters (THT's). This is a very efficient speaker, and blends with the LaScala seamlessly. The THT is tuned at 22Hz, and is a very large enclosure which is targeted for home theater use; however, it is also very capable with music. Other horn loaded subs are smaller like the Table Tuba, and there are some larger ones like the Danley DTS-10.

What do you use the LaScala's for? Music, home theater?

How many LaScalas?

How big is the room?

Finally, if music, what kind of music do you listen to?

• Like 1

It seems the more research I do looking for the best route to take for getting deep bass for our LaScalla's the more options I'm finding,even to the extent of building separate horn cabs. It would be so much easier to listen to the choices then build what will do the job taking up the least bit of real estate.

My first choice would be the ported box for the opened doghouse LaScalla ,second was the quarter pie (really too big for our room) third is the Bill Fitzmaurice Tuba series cabs.

The bottom line is getting the sub bass without filling the room with speaker mods or cabs searching for the really deep wattage hungry spl

I highly recommend the bass reflex sub cabinet

Although the drivers have been upgraded they easily reach 30 htz and below

Coupled with good crossovers the bass is fast, accurate and vibrates the house

https://vimeo.com/95931681

• Like 1

Any size/version of the THT will be a great match, the Table Tuba works well also but i would recommend one with double 8" drivers for best match.

The Tuba 60 would work though its tuned a bit higher but if the size fits may be a good alternative.

Mustang guy is right, you can add bass but you want matching bass for seamless transition.

• Like 1

Horn subs like the tuba subs and cinema f20 are the way to go for the best sound matching with the La Scala. The only problem is size. They are going to be big. The best comprimise I have come across is the "tuba table" sub. It is not overlly huge, matches the sound of the La Scala very well, and is good to 25 hz or so. I found it a bit of a pita to build though. The cinema f20 is way easier to build and is a beast of a sub, but it takes up a lot of real estate.

I actually have a T-18 with mine. It fills the bottom end nicely, is horn loaded and doesn't take up a lot of real estate. Mine actually sits on top of one of my Lascalas. It's a music only system however. it doesn't go low enough for HT.

I found it a bit of a pita to build though. The cinema f20 is way easier to build and is a beast of a sub, but it takes up a lot of real estate.

I agree on both points as I've built them both. I'm actually building 2 more TT's now for a friends outdoor system. They'll each sit under a Lascala and will be mirror images of each other.