MAJOR RANT - Neighbors!

Guest Steven1963

Guest Steven1963

I absolutely LOVE my Klipschorns. And I don't even have my DeanG crossovers in them yet, so I'm running stock 72's. The tight base is UNBELIEVABLE. I'm pretty well hooked on listening to 70's and 80's motown classics at the moment and that baby-makin' music (NO, I'M not makin' any babies...I'm 50 and DONE) has me turning it up - but really not THAT loud. I'm talking 25 watts with a subwoofer at about 1/2 power (see my sig). Seriously NO MORE than about 25 watts.

These damn neighbors have GOT TO GO! I've had the cops out here twice in the last month or so. Because of noise complaints at 4 O-Clock in the afternoon. 44444444444 IN THE AFTERNOON....BLAH!!!!!!!! Granted, the 2nd cop came in the house and I showed him how loud I was listening to it and he had a big grin on his face. All he did is shake my hand and basically say he didn't know what to say, and he left.

I live in a HOUSE. Not an apartment and not a condo....A HOUSE on a 9,000sqft lot. My neighbor across the street is cool with it and likes the music, same with the couple on my right across the street (I'm a corner lot). Guy on my left is a JERK - but that's about other reasons so I'm not sure it's him that is calling the cops.

My daughter had some complaints a couple times while I was at work before I had the Khorns and while was running the Lascalas. The woman that was complaining then...my daughter watched her walk away...down the hill and 4 houses away!!! WTF?? 4 houses away!?

I guess it's time to move. Seriously. I'm looking for some property on at least a 1/2 acre.

Okay...I'm done. Maybe. I'll mix another Gin and see how I feel.

Anybody else ever have &$^%# - &*^ neighbors?

EDIT: OK, yeah, I'm a bit drunk.

EDIT EDIT: Man...this sounds so good!!!!

3rd EDIT: I'm beginning to think I chose my avatar subconciously because of them. :ph34r:

Edited by Steven1963
  • Like 3

I got the neighbor from hell I don't think anyone will come close , she called the cops on me because she was trimming along my fence and I decided to rinse my fence off lmao , I never saw someone run and call the cops at the same time trust me it gets bad between me and her .

last week she had a rummage sale and I said dang thought it was a estate sale

Edited by A1UC
  • Like 1

My closest neighbor is one mile away. Last weekend the sherif stopped by. I had the LS's outside and cranked. You could hear them a mile away but not anywhere near the noise ordinance threshold. The Sherif had some coffee, asked to hear a song and left promising not to return.

And this is exactly why I built the house in the middle of 15 acres!

• Like 4

Guest Steven1963

My closest neighbor is one mile away. Last weekend the sherif stopped by. I had the LS's outside and cranked. You could hear them a mile away but not anywhere near the noise ordinance threshold. The Sherif had some coffee, asked to hear a song and left promising not to return.

And this is exactly why I built the house in the middle of 15 acres!

You are my hero. I envy you. No bull&*#%.

Being able to call your own shots on your own property is what I miss. All this crap about CCRs and HOAs has me wound tighter than a tick. I wanna be able to pee off my backyard deck whenever I feel like it!

• Like 3

There is a lot to be said about peeing off the deck, walking to the car in your underwear to get something you forgot the previous night, and throwing parties without ahole neighbors getting in the way.

On the other hand, getting down a 3/4 mile driveway after a snowstorm is a bit unpleasant

Edited by eth2
  • Like 2

Some people hate music. Others have been conditioned to think something is seriously wrong if they can hear music from the property line. These two groups overlap. Neither would like our old neighborhood in Berkeley.

It is Chichen S**t for someone to complain to the police without first knocking on your door to let you know that the music is bothering them. Also, there are better uses of tax dollars and police time, at least around here. To complain at 4 in the afternoon is absurd. We turn our music or movies down at 10 pm, just in case.

I'm assuming you have all doors and windows closed, have double glazed windows, and solid core doors to the outside. There are door seals available online -- look under "building a home recording studio."

If your floor flexes (perfectly possible with Klipschorns or subs, let alone both) the bass can easily go through the floor and out through your crawl space, if you have one. In this case, the old Stereo Review magazine recommended running one or two diagonal braces -- 4 x 4s or larger -- across the floor joists, and under them, pushed up tight by 4 x 4s on concrete piers sunk into the soil. The Stonehenge Solution. They claimed this might both cut down on bass transmission to the outside, and improve the bass in the listening room.

I wouldn't suggest explaining the aesthetic importance of ff being played back ff, because they may be too stupid to understand. Then, again, there may be a medical problem involved.

Edited by Garyrc
  • Like 1

• Moderators
There is a lot to be said about peeing off the deck, walking to the car in your underwear to get something you forgot the previous night, and throwing parties without ahole neighbors getting in the way.

I completely agree 100%, it is really underrated. :emotion-55:

Steven, know the law and stay within it and then it's the neighbors problem, and there is nothing they can do about it.

I wouldn't move but if you do look for more than 1/2 acre, unless no one is around it.

Edited by dtel
  • Like 1

Guest Steven1963
I'm assuming you have all doors and windows closed, have double glazed windows, and solid core doors to the outside.

Meh...Okay, you got me. I had the front door open along with the dining room window AND the back slider.

WHAT!?? Don't look at me like that! I do have double glazed windows.

Still, it's only 25 watts..

Edited by Steven1963
  • Like 1

Guest Steven1963
Steven, know the law and stay within it and then it's the neighbors problem, and there is nothing they can do about it.

There's the problen, Dtel. 'Disturbing the peace' is a very broad term.

• Moderators

I thought most places had certain hours and db level ?

But I would bet money our small town local law officials do not have a db meter ?

:o I didn't know the windows and doors were open, well your just disturbing the peace dude, just kidding but it does carry MUCH further like that. :D

At least they didn't complain about the quality of the music. :emotion-21:

7:00 am to 10:00 pm here. Closest house is 200 ft give or take. Never had any complaints about the music, even when rattling the neighbor's windows at about 300 yards. I have had complaints about running equipment at 6:00 in the morning. So the next day we waited until 7:00 before we fired up the equipment.

One guy that was helping offered to stump break the woman that complained. I did not ask just what this involved but it did not sound good. And him being a logger just made it sound more likely to be unpleasant. :huh::o:angry:

Edited by Taz

Guest Steven1963

That's what the cop said, Dtel. "it's such high quality sound that it carries." Okay...I guess I can relate to that. Still...this chit sounds sooo good who can complain??

Hehe....

Stevie Ray Vaughn right now.....mmmmm YEEEAAHHHHHH.

Edited by Steven1963
  • Like 1

I don't know... We lived on 3 1/4 acres. Over 250 ft. to the street and with my LS turned up, you couldn't even hear it at the street. Nearest neighbor was about 150 yds. away. Now we have neighbors very close, but they are all much older and stay inside with the doors and windows closed. Probably not a problem here either.

Bruce

I don't have problems with my neighbors. Not only because of the distance, but it also helps if they are afraid of you....just saying!!

One neighbors dog was on our front porch when I brought my newborn daughter home from the hospital with my wife. The dog stayed on the porch barking viciously. The dog had already previously bit a runner on the road and charged me 2 weeks earlier while I was mowing the ditch. I floored the car, blowing the horn and made a rum at my front porch and the dog retreated to the edge of my property and the field that separates my property from the neighbors. I ran in the house and grabbed the 7mmm Rem Mag, but as I came out the door, the neighbors came home and called their dog. I went to the neighbors in the opposite direction who had recently shot a dog on their property, thinking it was this same dog and asked them if they would testify that the dog had previously bit someone if I killed it. I then returned home to find the dog owners had come to see our new baby. I told the owner and his wife, your dog has already bit someone. Your husband saw it charge me 2 weeks ago when I was mowing the ditch. Your dog was on my front porch eating the cats food and was acting viciously when I brought my wife and new baby home. Now if your dog was only being friendly, it could jump up on my wife, and my wife could drop the baby, and it could land on one of it's soft spots on it's head and be killed, but your dog isn't even being friendly. I said is it likely that my child will get killed...... No, but I am not willing to take that chance. I said the next time your dog is on my property, I am going to kill it. I said, I don't care if you call it home and I have to break your front door down and shoot it in front of your 2 small sons in your living room, I won't stop until I kill it. They didn't say a thing, they just left, and the next morning he shot his dog and buried it in his yard on my side of his house.

Another time, the other neighbors wife called me over bitching about my wifes cats coming on her property. I told her that If it is on your property, and it bothers you, shoot it! I told her, I wouldn't hesitate to shoot any of your animals if they were on my property and it bothered me.

I shoot in my back yard all the time and killed 28 ground hogs in my yard and barns the first year we moved in. I don't have problems with the neighbors.

Roger

Edited by twistedcrankcammer

I lived 5 years in a quadplex apartment. We could hit reference levels no problem on movie night, but never had a single noise complaint lodged against us. My residence was situated right on top of our neighbor's.

Power and the associated distortion is the key factor.

I can blast the La Scala and subwoofer in the living room, shut all the doors, and barely hear a peep in the next room over. OTOH, I've got a puny iPod dock in the master bathroom that I can turn up to only 1/3rd volume and clearly hear it blatting away from outside in the back yard. :-\

That's what the cop said, Dtel. "it's such high quality sound that it carries." Okay...I guess I can relate to that. Still...this chit sounds sooo good who can complain??

Hehe....

Stevie Ray Vaughn right now.....mmmmm YEEEAAHHHHHH.

SRV, You DA man!

I'm assuming you have all doors and windows closed, have double glazed windows, and solid core doors to the outside.

... Still, it's only 25 watts..

Klipschorns are rated at 105 dB @ 1M @ 1 wt. Typical speakers are rated at about 90 dB @ 1M @ 1 wt. That means that about 25 watts into a Klipschorn produces about the same level in dB as about 800 watts into a typical speaker.

I'm not sure how you estimated that you were using 25 watts, but I'll bet it was less, for your average level. Very brief peaks would be a different story.

7am to 10pm is pretty much the norm for making any kind of noise, so my hours of operation are 9am to 7pm.

I will say it is much nicer for me to seal myself in the "Cave", then crank on the tunes.

One thing I did when moving in here 4 years ago was bring every neighbor within an ear shot, over and let them request their own song.

The One neighbor who was not really talking to me, turns out NOT to be pizzed after all (talked to them last weekend).

All I can say is button yourself up in house and let it rip.