Minermark's Project EAW

minermark

New temp crossovers hanging, currently burning/balancing for at least 3 hours continuous play.

Just running these stock 95% of bass removed from Mids and zero to tweet, so far it's all good.

Not bad for $35 imported blue board units.

Iv got some listening and Corona(s) to do. 77 in the cave, fan on the Amps.

• Like 3

Our Klipsch Heritage crossovers use the autotransformer with attenuation taps, Electro voice used the L-pad approach.

So is there a choice to level, I see only coils, caps and 3 fuses on the board. What is the plug with 3 red wires?

post-57941-0-60320000-1403982020.jpg

The white plug is 4 or 8 ohms, im running 8.

You are correct in NO transformer, I think they got around that by using the red inductor coils on the lower left.

The "Fuses" you refer to are tungsten tweeter protectors.

This is hour two and the sound had reall changed...for the better I might add, bass is coming in crisp now, couple more hours it looks like.

Crossover on the Bay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/130903573563?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

Edited by minermark

Yes I see your EWA speakers would like a 300/1.8K crossover and your new boards are 625/5000, now comes the cap bag of choices. Do you have a schematic of the design, or a pix of rear of board?

Your 4 x 15 Bass bin is 103dB/1W 2x10 mid bin is 109dB/1W and horn is 111dB/1W. These are very sensitive Monsters, the top two horns need attenuation to bring out the Bass :)

Blue boards have a glued on backing, will not bother me because I can work on top, the way these are sounding right now,(great) I don't know what if anything ill be doing yet.

Crankin time comes around 5 or 6 tonight, pound some rock through these critters.

• Like 3

• Moderators

Burn in for sure :) What does your crossover use to match spl from bass bin to horn? Enjoy the tunes :emotion-22::emotion-29: :emotion-29: :emotion-22: :emotion-22: :emotion-22:

I have NO IDEA, what would I be lookin for ?

A few more Coronas and possibly a shot and you will find it, it will be a big smile, glad to see it's coming together.

• Like 2

So far, so dam good, I had a nap wile the wife cranked her tunes, when I came back into the cave 3hrs later, noticed such a difference I had to adjust the Bass/treble on the preamp, something I rarely ever do. yep these needed some burn in time, and they got it.

By the way, when I opened the door to the cave, she was crankin it pretty dam good.

We will let the EAWs rest for now, in morning, services will be held in the cave w/Ozzy & Rob Zombie.

And I thank mach-1 for his infinite wisdom as usual.

• Like 1

I believe Im slowly creating a monster:

Wife's house system last year = Mono Block tubers, pair of Corus I

Mark's Cave system last year = Big tube amp, one pair La Scalas.

Results, wife spends more time in the Mancave than I do.

..........................................................................................................

Fast forward, 1st of this month:

Wife's house system then = Mono Block tubers, pair of Crites tuned Khorns.

Mark's Cave system then = Big tube amp, stacked La Scalas, two pair.

Results, wife is content with her system and spends her "Tune Time" on her system.

..........................................................................................................

Fast forward today:

Wife's house system now = Mono Block tubers, pair of Crites tuned Khorns.

Mark's Cave system now = Big tube amp, EAW Cinema series stacks.

Results as of today, wife back in the Cave for preferred listening at increased wattage. :o

Edited by minermark
  • Like 2

Warming up the tuber, yet another day of tuning, today is component measure/swap/listen, measure/swap/listen.

There are worse ways to spend a day !

Don't be selfish let the neighbor hear those :)