Cornwall I or Cornwall II?

jimmytamp

Some updates:

I have replaced both of the crossovers with Bob Crites' ones, thanks to Bob for his great products.

I hooked my CW with Roy Mottram SP12R tube pre amps + Latino's ST120 tubes amp.

After sometimes listening to them (about 20 hrs or so up to now), I found that the speakers had been opened up in mid range area.

Listening to some vocal jazz, the vocal sounds more up forward while I can hear more details in the background with the same volume setting with previous crossovers.

I will have some tubes rolling in near future.

Cheers,

Jimmy

post-58523-0-51000000-1409507723_thumb.j

post-58523-0-99760000-1409507740_thumb.j

Edited by jimmytamp
  • Like 1

Doesn't matter if you get the CW 1 or 2's, you're gonna tune them to your ears anyway. I got a pair of 2's with Ti diaphragms and NorthCreek inductors that'll make you smile!

Yes, I think any CW will sounds good...(just my 2 cents)...

Cheers,

Jimmy

• 2 months later...

Just want to ask, if you have to choose between Cornwall I or II, which one you prefer & why? Is it true that the CW I is easier to work with because all drivers are mounted from the back while CW II is front mounted? Both seller said they are in good working condition, so no need to upgrade Caps/Xover anytime soon, but I will do the upgrade anyway. Cosmetically, the CW I has few dings here & there and does't seat on riser while the CW II is excellent (from the pictures).

The Cornwall I and Cornwall II are both good sounding speakers, so based on your current choices I would pick the one that is in excellent condition. Also, be aware that there is an early version of the C II and a later version of the C II. The early version is physically more similar to the Cornwall. The later version (1986-1990) has the flush surface mounted mid horn and tweeter horn and the crossover is attached to the rectangular speaker wire cup on the back of the speaker, which is easy to remove. If you plan to buy a larger style high end crossover for a later version C II, you will need to remove the woofer to install the bigger board and to snip and splice some wires, then re-install the woofer. https://2d73e25b29782b6d6766-9c8af5cbfef16739445bc76457060528.ssl.cf2.rackcdn.com/CW_Time_Line_MK_070522_635120773187750000.pdf

Any listeners with lack of bass from Cornwalls may have a speaker wire polarity problem between the amp and speaker, or between the internal crossover and the woofer, or possibly a room acoustics condition. I like my Cornwall II's.

Later version Cornwall II pictured below.

Hi Khornukopia...I'm new to this hobby and just picked up my first set of '76 Cornwalls. Haven't done anything to them yet but I'm definitely not getting the bass response that I should be based on comments on this thread. I'm guessing its for one of the reasons you mentioned above or maybe my receiver just isn't powerful enough? I just bought a Denon AVR-X1100W which was about the most I could afford and I also wanted to get into the surround sound arena. Do you think I'm just under powered? I've checked the polarity amp-to-speakers but haven't looked at the crossovers yet (I am planning on replacing the caps from Crites shortly). Thanks in advance.

Adam

• 3 weeks later...

Just want to ask, if you have to choose between Cornwall I or II, which one you prefer & why? Is it true that the CW I is easier to work with because all drivers are mounted from the back while CW II is front mounted? Both seller said they are in good working condition, so no need to upgrade Caps/Xover anytime soon, but I will do the upgrade anyway. Cosmetically, the CW I has few dings here & there and does't seat on riser while the CW II is excellent (from the pictures).

The Cornwall I and Cornwall II are both good sounding speakers, so based on your current choices I would pick the one that is in excellent condition. Also, be aware that there is an early version of the C II and a later version of the C II. The early version is physically more similar to the Cornwall. The later version (1986-1990) has the flush surface mounted mid horn and tweeter horn and the crossover is attached to the rectangular speaker wire cup on the back of the speaker, which is easy to remove. If you plan to buy a larger style high end crossover for a later version C II, you will need to remove the woofer to install the bigger board and to snip and splice some wires, then re-install the woofer. https://2d73e25b29782b6d6766-9c8af5cbfef16739445bc76457060528.ssl.cf2.rackcdn.com/CW_Time_Line_MK_070522_635120773187750000.pdf

Any listeners with lack of bass from Cornwalls may have a speaker wire polarity problem between the amp and speaker, or between the internal crossover and the woofer, or possibly a room acoustics condition. I like my Cornwall II's.

Later version Cornwall II pictured below.

Hi Khornukopia...I'm new to this hobby and just picked up my first set of '76 Cornwalls. Haven't done anything to them yet but I'm definitely not getting the bass response that I should be based on comments on this thread. I'm guessing its for one of the reasons you mentioned above or maybe my receiver just isn't powerful enough? I just bought a Denon AVR-X1100W which was about the most I could afford and I also wanted to get into the surround sound arena. Do you think I'm just under powered? I've checked the polarity amp-to-speakers but haven't looked at the crossovers yet (I am planning on replacing the caps from Crites shortly). Thanks in advance.

Adam

Hi Adam,

I hooked up my CW I with my tubes amp in triode mode which give around 30W/channel, I can hear a lot of bass pumping around.

Cheers.

• 4 years later...