DIY acoustic room treatments

Rudy81

Ceiling height is 9'2". Measurement was at the sweet spot, at a height approx 40" off floor. Mic pointed at ceiling.

Very Nice Job Rudy ! I have always admired the way you tackle your projects by being All In . As long as you have been working in that room I am not sure you are ever going to be 100% satiafied and not wonder if you can make it better. I know you have found the speaker system that satisfies you after quite a few years and I don't think this project will take you very long.

Ceiling height is 9'2". Measurement was at the sweet spot, at a height approx 40" off floor. Mic pointed at ceiling.

Very Nice Job Rudy ! I have always admired the way you tackle your projects by being All In . As long as you have been working in that room I am not sure you are ever going to be 100% satiafied and not wonder if you can make it better. I know you have found the speaker system that satisfies you after quite a few years and I don't think this project will take you very long.

As you know, it's all just for fun. I really have enjoyed upgrading the room treatments. I have yet to run Audyssey Pro since just today I finished fine tuning and double checking all the drivers, timing and other tweaks. The treatments, particularly those at the first reflection points, are a definite improvement. I will have to work on Audyssey at a later date.

The previous treatments only operated at the higher end of the spectrum due to the thickness, or lack thereof, of the the reflection point panels. I have solved that issue and as you have seen, took lots of readings to back up what effect they did or did not have on room acoustics.

I still learn something new with each of the projects. I definitely have settled on the Oris horns with the low end I have set up. I'm just trying to wring out the last bit of acoustic performance in the listening environment. Of course, this is all on a DIY budget.

• Like 2

There's way more music from 60-100 Hz. than there is from 10-60 Hz., so your traps are working more in the music range than the LFE range, as expected.

I would say that I really don't notice huge difference is sound in just an hour of listening in terms of pure bass. However, the graphs clearly show an improvement. It seems the bass waves don't hang around nearly as long.

Rudy that's what the bass traps are all about helping to smooth out the long waves and help with the reverberation!!!

I would say that I really don't notice huge difference is sound in just an hour of listening in terms of pure bass. However, the graphs clearly show an improvement. It seems the bass waves don't hang around nearly as long.

Rudy that's what the bass traps are all about helping to smooth out the long waves and help with the reverberation!!!

Yes sir, I got all that from my research. Interestingly, I can clearly notice that change in the higher frequencies. The notes seem to me more clear and precise. Detecting that change in the bass area might take more time.

Although, I did notice something interesting while tweaking my drivers and XO yesterday. In the past, while walking around the room and playing bass tones, you could clearly hear areas of cancellation and other areas of reinforcement. That was not nearly as pronounced as it was before....so, the traps are working. I just haven't had enough listening time to really get a sense of the overall effect.

In analyzing all the results from bare room to completed project, what jumps out at me is a pair of nulls at 30Hz and 100Hz. By changing the IR windows, I can make those nulls disappear if I reduce the gate time. This is for all speakers and subs. Clearly a room induced null right at the measurement position. The null location also changes if I move the mic position.

I will have to look into how to find a cure for the null, particularly the 100Hz null. I suspect fixing the 30Hz null will be much more difficult. The only reflection point that is not treated is the floor to wall corner.

Running some online room mode calculators, they show an unfortunate pile of axial, tangential and oblique nodes between 100 and 119 Hz.

Edited by Rudy81

Rudy those nulls can be really tough I had a couple and had to move my listening position a little, to get rid of them. I think I got lucky because adding dual subs seemed to kill the nulls I had...

Interestingly enough, I ran Audyssey Pro, and it too shows a dip right in the same spot 100Hz....in my room. So, clearly it is a seating position null.

I have subwoofers. One each for each main channel and and two SPUD clones which operate together. In theory, Audyssey took care of that problem, but I have not run any sweeps with Audyssey engaged.

I will say it sound really good in the room. Center channel is crystal clear, music is powerful and dynamic. I'm sure improvements can be made, but I'm closing in on the best sound I can get for the buck.

I have subwoofers. One each for each main channel and and two SPUD clones which operate together. In theory, Audyssey took care of that problem, but I have not run any sweeps with Audyssey engaged

Hey Rudy can you clarify your subwoofers setups and details about the crossover frequency/rates etc...... of the systems..?

Great thread Rudy......and it sure would be interesting to see some plots with the Audyssey engaged..

miketn