The Splits go under the knife (La Scala Splits and Fastlaneaudio)

Sortly after getting the new to me La Scala Splits I was suffering froma a case of listener fatigue.

I decided then to try a path less traveled to convert my La Scalas to 2way with Daves BFH (Big Fing Horn) and 2" drivers.

I will be saving up for some B&C 85TNs and ALK AP12-400s.

gallery_36992_76_18902.jpg
gallery_36992_76_104771.jpg
gallery_36992_76_15744.jpg

gallery_36992_76_37216.jpg
gallery_36992_76_37530.jpg
gallery_36992_76_41413.jpg

Edited by justinsweber

Guest David H

I think your 2 way Lascala will work out nicely. Might I recommend AP12-500.

These would go nicely with Big Ben.

Dave

So the crossover was situated right next to the magnet of the driver? Baaaaaaad.

The crossover came from Bob, and was mounted in the same place as the old stock unit, horn Mag is 4" or 5" behind the end of the crossover.

I know, Im the one who installed it. (when they were mine).

So the crossover was situated right next to the magnet of the driver? Baaaaaaad.

The crossover came from Bob, and was mounted in the same place as the old stock unit, horn Mag is 4" or 5" behind the end of the crossover.

I know, Im the one who installed it. (when they were mine).

The angle is deceiving -- it looks like it would be sitting right next to it.

AL-3? No wonder he had listening fatique. I once built a really nice pair of AK-3 networks -- I was pretty depressed after I loaded them up, considering the amount of money I had in them.

Edited by DeanG
  • Like 1

The Ap12-500 is a 2nd order/2nd order network. Ive used 3x before with my cornscalas and really loved the clean sound... a bit less romantic than 1st order networks (Sorta your studio monitor with room filling sound).

All unused parts K55M, K77 Sq Mag, K400, and crossovers are listed for sale now.

I've been running my Lascala at 500 hz for a little while, with an active network. It sounds pretty good, I have just been wanting to hear those particular networks. I just need to stiffen the side walls to tame the crazy buzz.