PWK Tongue-n-Cheek Papers

He calls out Bob Carver.......interesting.

There was a time when common sense said that loudspeaker harmonic distortion was caused by resonances (and no one besides PWK talked about modulation distortion), then to get rid of these resonances, loudspeakers had to be made as "dead" acoustically as possible. I remember those days vividly. Perhaps Carver was also poking fun, too, when he wrote his "law".

But Carver was also making a fair amount of money at the time with Phase Linear selling really big transistor (BJT) amplifiers.

PWK said increasing efficiency reduces distortion (inverse relationship).

Bob Carver said in order to "correct" speakers (reduce distortions) you have to decrease the efficiency (add components to the crossover).

PWK pokes fun at the high power stuff.

Cat and mouse.

The work that Jim Hunter is doing with the Klipsch archives is one of the coolest things Klipsch is doing IMO.Preserving history while the paper is still in good shape. When he gives his talks he goes through the folder structure it shows that he has scanned thousands of pages. PWK wrote letters to all the heavy hitters of the day. My favorite is the visor to Lincoln Walsh. I hope he posts more of it and that he is allowed to do the Klipsch technical biography.

Thank you Jim Hunter!!

• Like 1