"Automotive" subs vs. home audio subs

fuzzydog

A lot of car audio subs are just as good in the home.  The difference is the recommended enclosures in a car are designed with higher q with the assumption you will have cabin gain of 6 db for the lower frequencies.  Place the same sub in a larger enclosure and the frequency curve flattens and lower frequency extension improves.  Yes, there are some car audio subs that are designed more toward spl, but there are plenty that are designed for SQ especially when you give them the airspace.

Typical pre-fab ported car enclosures are tuned quite high 36-40hz.  I don't like boxes tuned that high.  JL and Image Dynamics typically recommend somewhere between 28-32 hz for audiophile ported enclosures.  The last enclosure I made featured 2 12W3's tuned to 27hz.  Big box and big port area, It was used in an suv. 

• Like 1

Typical pre-fab ported car enclosures are tuned quite high 36-40hz. I don't like boxes tuned that high. JL and Image Dynamics typically recommend somewhere between 28-32 hz for audiophile ported enclosures. The last enclosure I made featured 2 12W3's tuned to 27hz. Big box and big port area, It was used in an suv.

Sealed works well in a car also.  As the sealed sub rolls off, cabin gain kicks in and pretty well flattens things out.

Typical pre-fab ported car enclosures are tuned quite high 36-40hz.  I don't like boxes tuned that high.

Your typical "impress the homies with rap music" crowd, which is who buys those things, rarely goes below that unless you have a bass specific source like whatever the equivalent of DJ Magic Mike is today. Rap music just doesn't. Some songs things may sound super low to most people but in reality its typically in the 40 hz range or maybe a little below. That frequency range usually sounds really good in a car, especially with a ported box, assuming you're a bass head and like rap music. I don't blame them for tuning them at this frequency.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters
  • Like 1

Sealed works well in a car also.  As the sealed sub rolls off, cabin gain kicks in and pretty well flattens things out.

Yeah but it's harder to do THIS. ;) Fast forward to 29 seconds.

just because youthman has 2 or 3 15" subs doesn't mean he wants to piss off the neighbors or damage his hearing. he wants B-A-S-S!!!!! and the only way to get any type of performance bass is to add a sub or two.

Youthman has a good sized home theater. Even a smallish one can be 3,000 cubic feet in volume. A typical car's interior volume is less than 100, like a Mustang is 85, and a large Challenger is 110. Two 12's and a 500 watt amp in a car can EASILY blow away a typical home theater. My two 18's with an iNuke 6000 flexing the hell out of them is nowhere near what my two 12's in my car could do. I used to hit 132 db with two 12's in an isobaric box and a 100 watt Wal-Mart amp. 500 watts and a standard box can in fact be insane. I've seen a single 15 with a 250 watt amp hit around 155 db. All this was back when we just played rap songs for spl competitions so these numbers could be hit all day long, it wasn't a short "burp" like they do now.

really pisses me off to hear some of the ignorant comments I hear aboot car audio subs here!

I used to travel around and compete in IASCA meets. Two good friends of mine have made it to nationals, my best friend had an ambulance filled with crap and was in drag db competitions. Used to live real close to a factory that made some of your JL's and another good friend of mine built the things, I used to pick up factory extras for way cheap to sell on eBay. Had a side business back in the day where I built and installed car audio for local guys. I know way more about car audio than home theater. You'll just have to be pissed off about it I guess. :)
there are soooo many factors making the extra power not only desirable, but necessary, IMO.

road noise, traffic noise, quality of your cd player, and basically installing yer subs in a noisy cloet, your trunk!

as with mostly everything, better to have too much than not enuff! i actually tried a single 12 and a 260w amp first. while it sounded good with some music, lighter rock, etc., they just didnt cut for hard rock or metal, which i listen to mostly.

oh, and the anger is under control!!!! not like im losing sleep over comments on a bb!HAHA!

I'm wanting to put a bigger sub or two in our jeep unlimited. I think JL makes a pre-fabbed solution that replaces the factory sub, but I have a hard time spending as much as they cost just to get sub-par performance. But, I don't know what else to do considering its a jeep. Best I can figure is if I can find some real shallow drivers, preferably somewhat weatherproof, I can build a false floor and have the drivers facing up, just take up that entire space. I can't figure out any other way to make it even remotely factory which would be a theft magnet in a jeep. I'm leaning towards the false floor especially since that would hide the amp as well, and I can probably put the factory trunk mat over the top of it. Won't be able to tell its there if I can keep it shallow enough.

there are soooo many factors making the extra power not only desirable, but necessary, IMO.

road noise, traffic noise

Oh you don't have to justify it to me. But, Dynamat works wonders for this.

quality of your cd player

You lost me there.

i actually tried a single 12 and a 260w amp first. while it sounded good with some music, lighter rock, etc., they just didnt cut for hard rock or metal, which i listen to mostly.

Usually midbass drivers in the interior helps with rock music which is drum heavy. Put some powerful 6.5's up front and/or 8's in the quarter panels and drums and bass guitars come alive. Relying on subs in your trunk to reproduce what should be growly/kicky/snappy rock midbass won't sound as nice especialy if you're firing through the back seat, plus your drums can sound like they're coming from behind you.

I actually lost a competition one time because of this, got second place when I should have won. They docked me pretty bad for "rear staging" and it was enough points to get edged out. I argued with the judge about it, because I didn't even have rear speakers other than the subs so I thought he was making stuff up. Well, yeah, that was the problem. In order to have a flat response, the subs were reproducing frequencies that were too high, so drums on the IASCA demo CD sounded like they were coming from behind you. I didn't get it right that minute due to the music that I listened to personally, but, he was right. Had to change my car all around and put midbass drivers in and cross the subs over lower. I've been anal retentive about this ever since. That's why I like for my towers to run full range. If I can tell subs are behind me it drives me crazy.

• Like 1

Ran across the JL's again by accident.

"I have to say that I sincerely hate the folks at JL Audio because they have forever ruined any pleasure I might have enjoyed with any other subwoofer. I’ll never be able to listen to another without comparing it to the f212."

http://www.soundandvision.com/content/jl-audio-fathom-f212-subwoofer

Uses car audio subs like this.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_4007_JL-Audio-12W7-3.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=PLA&scid=scplp3596796&gclid=Cj0KEQiA592lBRCXy8yl4bjK17wBEiQAg1Az_QK19Wq5o-RoY1QwIxGC92kkWcCuuxs0iH_d5Q-CRXkaAh6g8P8HAQ

• 4 weeks later...
thanks for letting me vent. really pisses me off to hear some of the ignorant comments I hear aboot car audio subs here!

You are exceptional in saying you want lots of clean bass. Most of the cars that stop next to me at a red light either have gross distortion in their car systems because it's clipping like crazy, or they have one note bass that drives me up the wall, hence my "ignorant," yet statistically observed comment about the 50 Hz. bass (which also statistically read and observed.

If being "pissed off' about ignorance on this board were a feeling everyone shared, we would have all left a long time ago.

So, don't get pissed off, educate us with more than opinion, which is pretty worthless, unless you have DATA to back it up like Mike did. Thanks fellow Canuck! 

Edited by ClaudeJ1
  • Like 1

road noise, traffic noise, quality of your cd player, and basically installing yer subs in a noisy cloet, your trunk! as with mostly everything, better to have too much than not enuff! i actually tried a single 12 and a 260w amp first. while it sounded good with some music, lighter rock, etc., they just didnt cut for hard rock or metal, which i listen to mostly. oh, and the anger is under control!!!! not like im losing sleep over comments on a bb!HAHA!

High Fidelity and Metalheads are at oposite ends of the spectrum. I agree about bass and wattage headroom. Hearing damage was done in my garage band and nightclub days. Still good to 12 Khz. but I don't want to disconnect my tweeters when I'm 90 if I can live to listen for that long. 

High Fidelity and Metalheads are at oposite ends of the spectrum.

I dont think the two are mutually exclusive, especially not to the point of being opposites. i agree that many fans of metal and rap are content with crappy audio equipment but thats not really the case all of the time. I just saw an ad today where Henry Rollins was promoting Klipsch speakers. Think about it.

Well I"m not impressed with the video with the girl's hair blowing. I think it's pretty frikkin' stupid. Has nothing to do with enjoying music with reasonable fidelity. Just sound effects and ear destruction. Those who like that sort of thing, have at it with the wasted dollars, watts, woofer motors and cubic feet of space. It's all about a loudness contest and not musical enjoyment.

To quote Samuel Golwyn, of MGM fame: "Include me out."

Edited by ClaudeJ1