The future of eyeglasses

tube fanatic

That 3D printing has awesome potential! These folks lost me though... I was pretty intrigued until I saw the glasses they were wearing. Whether they fit right or not today's hip is tomorrow's dork. I'm no one to talk.... I stick to the same style for 20 years before I change. I wait at least 10 years after friends start to make comments.

• Like 1

Seems like the technology would better suit the goggle style sports products. $ 4 $ most people can get OTS frames for much less and the fit for daily wear is not all that critical. Yet in active sports not only is the fit really needed but safety also becomes a salable factor. Imagine a diving mask with a perfect fit and some type lenses built in. Pick a sport and you will find a much greater need and a more sensible price point for this type of service and product.

I often meet people that seem to have the wrong sized frames for their head size. Maynard, I bet you notice this too on people. Can be distractive even.

No question about the incidence of ill fitting frames. Usually, they are from the optical chain stores which utilize "frame stylists," who have no professional knowledge, to assist with the selection. I find it appalling when people come in with temples (the side arms) which are way too short and nearly hook in front of their ears, or way too long causing the frames to slip. Same with the frame fronts which often don't fit the bridge of the nose correctly. The opticians who work in such locations often get commissions on glasses sold, so they won't tell a person that the frames don't fit correctly and lose the sale. The eye docs I help out don't sell glasses and maintain a strong relationship with some private opticians who take a great deal of pride in their workmanship. However, that comes at a premium cost with complete pairs of glasses often costing between $500 and $1+k. Quality frames can last for many years, so the amortized cost per day isn't all that much (my wife has been using the same rimless style frames for almost 10 years and they are as new looking as when she first got them). I suspect that the 3D technology, once adopted by the big online glasses vendors like Coastal, will put a serious dent in the more conventional manufacturing methods which will force companies like Luxottica (the largest frame manufacturer in the world I believe) to change in order to survive.

Maynard