Almost finished my UDS, and my first short smoke

joessportster

Now I can and do weld stainless all the time.

OT warning. If any of you know someone who is:

1) a licensed A&P mechanic with the below welding experience OR

2) someone who has experience on aircraft ground support equipment i.e. tow tractors, generators, air conditioner carts, fork lifts, etc.(GSE for the Nav or AGE for the Air Farce)

and has the skills to become a certified welder (via Lockheed Martin QA) in Tig/Mig on aluminum, stainless, titanium and steel within 180 days from hire date

3) wants a job in Corpus Christi, TX

I need one NOW

Edited by USNRET

Hey don't know how you are pulling but I copied one of those pullers that go in a cordless drill and it works great. I made one from stainless because they are expensive online but work great, pull 2 butts in about 1 minute.

Looks like this and works perfectly  

DSC_8110_3602.JPG

Your smoker is awesome joesportster and I may have to make one someday.  I was referring to the drill pork puller.  Never seen onel.  dtel's picture didn't paste when I quoted.  

Although I took welding in high school several decades ago, I don't have a welder or the experience with welding stainless steel.  Maybe I will cut the smooth bottom off an egg beater.  :wacko:

You could also make a pork shredder for the drill without the welding.  Just go to the hardware and buy an inexpensive cast iron floor drain (or borrow one from a basement or garage drain :wacko:), add a few 3/8 inch bolts and nuts and a 12 inch long bolt with a nut. B)  

post-36163-0-27260000-1408414995_thumb.p

post-36163-0-77580000-1408415012_thumb.p

• Like 1

whats that pulled pork puller tool you show there.  I am intrigued. 

If you are referring to the one with the drill, it sure makes the job painless and quick, here are a couple of videos showing how fast they can be.

ROman pork puller

http://youtu.be/Z-PJRl55dmw

http://youtu.be/KT3jz-z3cfA

http://youtu.be/fFDiPxH7kRE

• Like 1

Hey don't know how you are pulling but I copied one of those pullers that go in a cordless drill and it works great. I made one from stainless because they are expensive online but work great, pull 2 butts in about 1 minute.

Looks like this and works perfectly  

DSC_8110_3602.JPG

Your smoker is awesome joesportster and I may have to make one someday.  I was referring to the drill pork puller.  Never seen onel.  dtel's picture didn't paste when I quoted.  

Although I took welding in high school several decades ago, I don't have a welder or the experience with welding stainless steel.  Maybe I will cut the smooth bottom off an egg beater.  :wacko:

You could also make a pork shredder for the drill without the welding.  Just go to the hardware and buy an inexpensive cast iron floor drain (or borrow one from a basement or garage drain :wacko:), add a few 3/8 inch bolts and nuts and a 12 inch long bolt with a nut. B)  

Frank your the man  :D

I love redneck engineering

• Moderators

No :pwk_bs: it really works fast, you can pull a couple butts clean it and put it away in a couple minutes.

FJD I would add one more bolt to the bottom to make four, if you really want to get fancy grind off the bottom threads to remove the thread cracks to make it easier to clean.

No :pwk_bs: it really works fast, you can pull a couple butts clean it and put it away in a couple minutes.

FJD I would add one more bolt to the bottom to make four, if you really want to get fancy grind off the bottom threads to remove the thread cracks to make it easier to clean.

find a heavy flat plate and drill your own holes to keep bits from getting into the multiple spare holes  i may look for something to build one

find a heavy flat plate and drill your own holes to keep bits from getting into the multiple spare holes  i may look for something to build one

I can’t take any credit for being the first to think it up originally.  I had considered the cleaning aspect regarding the bolt threads and cut the heads off of carriage bolts that were mostly smooth then used nuts and lock washers on both sides. 

Since I didn’t clarify in my earlier post, I did not have a picture of mine readily available so I used a picture that I remembered for everyone to get their creative juices flowing on DIY options that did not involve welding.  I couldn’t find it the other night; however, here is the YouTube link showing that puller in action.

http://youtu.be/EqHytg7Rk2U

I remember a slew of DIY posts on the BBQ forums when the RO-Man puller came out with various DIY ideas. 

One of my friends would actually take the heavy duty rotisserie from his gas grill and slide one of the claws to the end of the spit and insert the other end of the shaft into his drill and it seemed to work fine.

I believe a person needs to be careful to not use it as a ‘blender’ though as it can get away from you rather quickly and you end up with pork mush.  If you want the pork chunky, just take a few stabs and you can gauge how fast it works.  Then you can gauge how many additional stabs to make it finer for individual tastes.