Almost finished my UDS, and my first short smoke

joessportster

have some beef strips on there attempting jerky

anyone have any advice for jerky ?? it would be appreciated

Joe, well done! one bad azz unit you have there :)

P.S. Congrats you just made the Homeland Security list for a possible terrorist threat, AS seen from google space, NSA may be knocking at your door :ph34r:

have some beef strips on there attempting jerky

anyone have any advice for jerky ?? it would be appreciated

Joe, well done! one bad azz unit you have there :)

P.S. Congrats you just made the Homeland Security list for a possible terrorist threat, AS seen from google space, NSA may be knocking at your door :ph34r:

LOL I wont be hard to catch as my back precludes running :( , However I do have a couple items that may deter them for awhile...............I just need to hire some strapping young buck to dig my bumker

The smoker actually is very easy to build, I found a food grade (Honey) barrel and burnt ot then drilled a few hholes, then used my knock off weber for the fire basket..........all in about 90.00

I get joy out of cooking food when it comes out right, everyone here loved the chicken, I had beef on with it and decided to leave it on in hopes of making some jerky for those with teeth :(

• Like 1

Yes i will be trying straight wood (charcoal gets expensive :D ) I want to try a turkey or turkey breast soon, I am not big on beef or pork, although I will admit I like a pulled pork sandwich with slaw if most of the fat has been removed during the pulling process

several years ago I helped a friend on the weekends at his BBQ Pit restaurant, when I get settled I would love to build a mobile pit and set up selling BBQ till the grill is empty then pack up and do it again next day

Just do one loaded rack a day about 8 or 10 slabs, a couple pounds chicken breast etc...

• Moderators

Joe, keep a lookout for people who throw out old smokers with the dome lid. They usually burn out from the bottom and the dome top is still good, some models fit perfectly on a drum and give you some extra height for that top rack. I priced them new from companies and they are ridicules, 75% the cost of new smoker with one.

UDS smokers work great, made one for my nephew, and had to try it out for him..

Edited by dtel

I tried my lid from my generic weber it was about 1/2" to small, so I settled on the barrel top, I will watch out for an old weber and see if I can snap one up

I have 2 whole chickens and a pork picnic on it smoking right now, hoping for some pulled pork sandwiches, I like to take smoked whole chickens and shred them up and use the meat for a different flavor home made chicken noodle soup, we also enjoy pulled chicken BBQ sandwich's

I am not a big fan of ribs but when they are fall off the bone tender I will eat a few, when I find some on sale that will likely be next,

The smoker held 250ish for about 7 - 8 hours yesterday without adding any extra wood or coals, Next attempt I want to use just a few coals to make an ember bed then lay some wood in there to burn slow and hold the temp

Smoked a large turkey breast and ribs last weekend. Turkey breast turned out great. Ribs were tasty too, but seems more difficult getting them to fall of the bone on the smoker. Have had great fall-off-the-bone results in the oven with removing the back membrane. Please let us know if you can get them to fall off the bone on your smoker next time you smoke ribs, and if so how. Getting hungry!

• Moderators
Getting hungry!

Your right, all this talking made me go start smoking some chicken, just started about 30 min ago

Try some chicken thighs low, slow and indirect

I only like white meat, but my wife had found some boneless thighs cheap so I smoked them, I was shocked they were so good.

I just love the way it smells outside with the smoker going, probably because it makes me think of food ?

• Like 1

At competitions if your ribs fall off the bone they are considered overcooked and pretty much guarantee you last place.

This is why I could never win, as I consider them best falling off the bone...................Of course I have no teeth and I could not eat them otherwise :D

• Like 1

At competitions if your ribs fall off the bone they are considered overcooked and pretty much guarantee you last place.

This is why I could never win, as I consider them best falling off the bone...................Of course I have no teeth and I could not eat them otherwise :D

I you like the ribs falling off the bone, you should try the "3-2-1" method or some variation like the 2-1.5-1 if the ribs are smaller.

3-2-1 method recipe

http://bbq.about.com/od/ribs/a/aa122306a.htm

Also, this site has a few variations to the method where they cut down on time in the foil.

http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/texas_crutch.html

Another 3-2-1 recipe

http://www.smoking-meat.com/smoked-rib-recipe

On these ribs below I used a combination of cherry wood and hickory wood. The ribs were soaked in a mixture of cider vinegar, apple cider, and the dry rub mixture overnight.

I covered the ribs with more dry rub before starting the smoke. I made the dry rub from one of Steve Raichlen's recipes.

I only did about an hour in the foil for these ribs since I didn't want them to fall off the bone too quickly. Since most that I smoke for like a little sweetness, I used a mixture of butter, brown sugar, apple cider and honey for the hour in the foil.

smoke ring.jpg

Edited by Fjd