Incredible Deal :-) Chorus l $27.48

OK, I thought this might be fun. Tell about the best deal/price you payed for Klipsch speakers. Mine goes like this. About 7 years ago I came across a pair of Chorus on e-bay, they were pick-up only in Washington DC. That's about 45 min drive for me. So I placed a bid and forgot about it, till my wife told me that I won the auction for the speakers. I said "what speakers". Looking at the listing the spark in my brain ignited! "Oh" I remember now..... So I sat down and started to look at the pics of my new purchase the grills were on and showed no pics of the drivers, the corners were chipped-up quite a bit. They just did not look good!! Well my winning bid was-----$27.48....... That's right.....Twenty Seven dollars and Forty Eight cents.....Well first I was excited but then I got to thinking about the 45 min HELL drive to DC to pick-up these not so nice looking Chorus, I was also thinking they were gutted with no drivers or x-overs in them. So I called the auction house to pay for them and to tell them to just toss them or re-list them. Well the guy told me that all drivers were in the cabs and thses were returned cuz of shipping damage and the speakers worked when they were originally sold. Well after work that night me and the wife off to DC we go. Got to the auction house paid my $27.48 and back home we went.... Yes all drivers and horns in the cabs, they looked better than in the pics! I could hardly wait to get back to the house to hook these things up. Back at the house I got them up stairs and hooked them with a Adcom 555, started to push them a bit and noticed one of the woofers was blown. Not a big deal for any normal multi Klipsch speaker owner-cuz we all got spare drivers just hanging around... So with a quick swap out of the offending woofer I was jammin and some kind of happy . With that great sound coming out of those Chorus the cabs did't look that bad and the drive was also not to bad :-) It was an incredible deal ;-)

• Like 1

When I lived in Denton, tx, I bought quite a few things at great prices. A pair of '77 Heresy HBR's for $10 from Goodwill; they labeled them as "you want these homemade speakers?" Yep. Also bought Heresy 2's for $20 and another pair for $50. From one guy, I picked up (3) Academy's for $50. Also a pair or stunning '78 Klipschorns for $500 from a retired Delta Airlines pilot that came with the original gallon of Watco Walnut Danish Oil from a hardware store that showed it cost 99 cents. He also had a custom Barzilay cabinet with tambour doors that was made in CA to hold some of his albums, Tandberg and Mc equipment, etc. Two sections; six foot lower doiece and four foot upper piece. Think I gave $75 for it.

About 4 years ago I saw an ad on the Macon, Ga craigslist for "Klipsch Speakers $70.00".  I immediately sent an email and called the number listed.  I spoke with a very nice gentleman that just happened to live about a mile from my brother in Warner Robbins and also had attended college where my best friend's father was a professor.  Turns out he knew(knows) my friend's father also.  He went on to express that I was the first to contact him and gave me first refusal, and this was before we even discussed what speakers are for sale and the price.

He mentioned that he had this list of speakers: pair Heresy I's(HBR), pair RB-5's(mahogany, pair RB-35's(black), pair RS-35's(black), single RC-35(black), and single RC-3(black).  He also mentioned that these were his recently deceased father's speakers and did not want to profit from the sale of them and wanted them to go to the home of a Klipsch lover.  The $70.00 mentioned in his ad was for each pair for a total of $350.00.  I was shaking and my voice was quivering.  

I told him that I could not commit at this moment and needed a day or too to make it all happen.  I also told him that I would understand if he passed on me and sold to someone local.  He expressed again that I had first refusal and his word is as good as gold.  When I hung up from the call, I immediately called my brother to see if he was able to stop over and check the speakers out.  I also called my sister who was visiting my mom in Macon to see if she would go by my brother's house on her way back to Florida and get the speakers from him if I was to buy them.  My brother went over to see the speakers and called me and gave me the OK.  I talked to the gentleman again and told him my brother would pick up the speakers the next day and give him the $350.00.  

I called the gentleman back the next day to confirm again and he mentioned that he had several phone calls and emails about the speakers.  He even mentioned that a guy from Tacoma, Washington, Darylomer ;)  :D , offered to pay double the selling price and pay shipping.  The gentleman kindly rejected the offer and said that the speakers were promised to someone else(Me :D) and he could not and would not back out of the deal.  Daryl expressed to him that he understood and did not expect him to break a promise and a man's word should be something you live by.   Now that is two examples of men with integrity.

So, I sent the $$$ to my brother and he stopped by the man's house and when he got there the man mentioned that he had this big old pair of Pioneer speakers(80's vintage) that he would throw in with the rest of the bunch.  My brother then called me and told me about the bonus pair and I told him to keep them for himself and his trouble for making all this happen for me.  He was very pleased and excited.  Later that day my sister dropped by and picked up the speakers from my brother we made arrangements for me to meet her in Saint Augustine and receive the speakers from her.  I gave her some $$$ for her trouble.

This was a well coordinated, with lot's of luck, symphony of plans to make it all happen. :D

Bill 

Edited by willland
  • Like 2

One of the reasons im not posting much in the Garage sale section much anymore is that iv NO NEED for anymore Klipsch or any other sound reproduction device.

Wife is happy with her Khorns and im pretty satisfied with my EAW/Klipsch Morfed stack assembly.

Pizzing off the neighbors is just around the corner, next week the second QSC will be here, then 1000Wpc, (Bass quad X2) that's eight 15" subs driven. 

Running BellaFleck rattles everything in the cave at this time, cannot wait for next week.

• Moderators

All good stories, you just never know when things will pop up or happen. :emotion-21:

Went to a Klipsch pilgrimage, my name was drawn and we won a FREE pair of Cornwall lll's and even got to pick the wood flavor used to build them and was given a cd with pictures of all the plant employees building them. When Trey picked my name I was hoping to win a t shirt, well this was shocking, it took a good while to realize what happened. There priceless to me :emotion-51: Thank you klipsch  http://www.cyclonecj.com/dtel/Dtelcorns-small/

Second would be Groomlake giving my grandson a pair of heresy ll's in perfect shape and a Onkyo receiver to play his games with, he loves them, and not just for games. Marshal also gave my wife another onkyo for music in her sewing room. I wish he was still posting. 

Third was a forum member, Arfanbark he sent us a HK 930 as a 33 anniversary present, it's used with the Cornwalls. His took care of his father who loved pecans so we sent him a sack of pecans from a place in GA with great Pecans, his dad was happy.

Forth would be a pair of Black RB-75's new in unopened boxes at an auction for $30. 

Fifth best was a pair of original fortes for $150 to finish off the Ht.

Other great deals from forum members like the 402/k69 and Ev Dx 38 at half price or less from JC and Mark, picked them up from JC near ATL and took them on vacation to TN for a week with us.

Also some MWM single bins from Mark in GA, we stayed the night at his beautiful home ( thank you and the lovely wife ) and drove back the next day. These were used to copy and make our 2 Ch  we use today. The ones copied are now used for the yard with diy split LaScala tops.

But really the best part of all of this was getting to meet all these people and many more, we have stayed at many members homes and some have stayed here, it has always been better than expected. 

Thank you all

Edited by dtel
  • Like 2