RF-63

brucenc

Brucenc,

Welcome to the forum.

When I first got my RF-63's, all I had to drive them was an Onkyo TX-SR705 AVR.  The combination sounded fine up to a point, but when I really wanted to drive them, let them loose per say, the Onkyo just did not have the gusto.  As Scrappy pointed out when he added his amp,  I experienced the same when I added my then B&K Reference 4430(200w/ch) to the mix.  When I replaced the B&K with my current Acurus A200, the fun really began.

Bill

This here would be a wonderful addition to your multichannel setup.  Not only is the Parasound 2125 a wonderful amp that sounds much more powerful than it's "125w/ch", the preamp 2100 sounds great also.  But the best thing about the whole setup is that the 2100 has a feature that is called "HT(Home Theater) bypass" that will allow you to incorporate your two channel rig with your HT setup by both using the RF-63's.

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/ele/4640921987.html

00j0j_g2c91T86cpg_600x450.jpg

Bill

2100_front_792.jpg

- Two channel high end audio preamplifier
         - Front panel jack for portable MP3 player with 12dB auto gain offset to match levels of other sources
         - 7 pairs of line level inputs
         - 1 input pair can be switched for MM or MC phono cartridge with correct input impedance
         - Can add to an existing surround system to upgrade analog 2 channel sound
                 • Connect your 2 channel analog sources to the Model 2100 instead of to your surround receiver
                 • Connects to surround receiver’s L, R, Sub line out jacks & to power amp’s input jacks
                 • Blends seamlessly into surround system, automatic pass-through when turned off
                 • Bypass input can be selected by remote

• Creates a mono sub channel output for 2 channel analog sources
                 • Analog bass management, low pass filter, adjustable 20 Hz - 140 Hz
                 • Separate output jacks for full range (large speakers), 80 Hz high pass filtered (small speakers)
         - 2-way RS-232 serial port connection
         - External IR repeater input & loop out jacks
         - Remote control includes discrete codes for Off and On
         - 2 auto turn on modes: AC power, 12v trigger
         - Selecting automatic turn/off defeats the front panel Power button
         - 12V trigger input jack and output jacks, 6’ (2m) trigger wire included
         - Fixed level audio record output
         - Headphone jack with auto mute for line out jacks
         - Motor-driven analog volume control
         - Balance control, bass & treble controls with defeat button
         - Remote handset includes tone on/off button
         - High current power supply
         - Accepts both 115v & 230v AC, detachable IEC AC cord
         - 2u chassis, rack mountable with RMK22 (sold separately)
         - Parasound 3 year parts, 3 years labor warranty 
           (For USA and Canada purchases only)

I think you should sell me your 63's and you should then buy some 62's, they are easier to drive;)

On a serious note, I ran my 63's off a Pioneer Elite SC-25 and I never reached the limit. I also ran the 63's off my Emotiva XPA-5 amp and couldn't tell an audible difference vs the SC-25, no matter how much I tried. 

Basically you can run the 63's to very high volume off a receiver but the receiver has to have some oomph to do it and sound good. 

Brucenc, I run the RF 7's has small and found it to be a better option for power management of the system.  I do use external amps for the system.  I feel that running the speakers as SMALL leads to less distortion, decrease cone break since the speaker is not trying to reproduce the whole audio spectrum, and with a good subwoofer in the mix powered by it's own amp, the bass in the system is well taken care of.  A decent sub will have 300 or more watts just for the bass.  A sub should go down to around 20 Hz.  Some music dips into the low 30 Hz range and even full size tower have trouble reproducing it as easily as a good sub.  A key point for me is having a system where nothing is under stress for movies or music. 

Heat wears out electronics and systems under stress produce more distortion.  The bass in the system is what eats up watts.

Edited by derrickdj1