Am I a "real" Klipsh-ite?

Hello all... First post and I'm wondering, since I have an all-Synergy setup, am I beneath contempt? Smile.gif

Seriously, it appears that nearly everyone on here is running Reference Series or better (or at least higher-priced), Quintets, or is trafficking in discontinued models. I've seen practically no posts on the Synergy Series! Too bad... These speakers have a very high bang-for-the-buck ratio, but I'm afraid a very low WAF. Not having a wife makes this easier to handle. *snicker*

I'm glad I finally wandered into this forum, as I now know (from a rare Synergy-related post) that I can use banana plugs on my setup... I was wondering what sort of connections people were using since banana plugs were not compatible (or so I thought). Up to this point I have been using *GASP!!* bare wire connections.

For the record, my system is as follows (the most important parts, the Klipsch products, will naturally come first!)-

-Klipsch SF-2 Mains

-Klipsch SB-2 Surrounds

-Klipsch SC-1 Center (front)

-Klipsch SC-1 Center (rear center)

-*ahem* Yamaha YST-SW120 Sub

-Denon AVR-2802 Receiver

-Denon DCD-660 CD player (11 years old and going strong)

-Panasonic DVD-RV20 DVD player

-2 Cassette decks, a Sony and a B&O

-A nondescript Philips VHS deck

-An unimpressive (but operational) 27" RCA TV

-BSR 10-band EQ, currently useless as the Receiver has no tape loop... So it's simply hooked up to a spare audio out so I can admire the pretty moving lights on the spectrum analyzer.

-Throroughly uninteresting stock interconnects (save for the nice optical and SVHS cables), 16 ga. wires.

Well that about covers it. Hope I am not drummed off the board for not having Heresys. Smile.gif

cwm35.gif

------------------

-Me fail English? That's unpossible!

yeah, you're the real deal. your synergy system beats out the quintets for sure Wink.gif

you did what i did, got rid of those SB-2's for the SF-2's Smile.gif

------------------

-justin

A technical help site created by me and my fellow Klipschers

promediatech@Klipsch.com /1-888-554-5665 - RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

s>

There is nothing at all wrong with bare wire connections. So people believe that that is the best. Banana plugs just make portability easier, so if you are not going to be moving your speakers around there is no reason to need banana plugs.

Welcome to the board and enjoy your Klipsch.

-ScottWavey.gif

------------------

BobG modified Forte II's

KG-4 Surrounds

Academy Center

DIY Sub based on Adire Audio Shiva Woofer

Sony DB830

"Hello all... First post and I'm wondering, since I have an all-Synergy setup, am I beneath contempt? "

Nahhh, Synergys are Klipsch too. Welcome to the club! However a warning:

Don't ever go listen to other forum member's old Klipsch (Heritage) or new offerings (Reference). These speakers are more addictive than crack. You will end up putting your Synergys up for sale, and start driving across 5 states to get vintage models. Then you will begin playing with and switching the electronics hooked up to them, to maximize the high.

Slippery, slippery slopeSmile.gif

Welcome to Klipsch!

Hey, Dr. D., welcome to the Klipsh Klub Smile.gif. No, you are "not beneath contempt". As dougdrake mentioned, you have a very nice sounding, well matched system with a good reciever. That system is definitly better than what a majority of folks out there in the world have. At least it is not Bo$e. As your tastes change and you get more money to blow, er, I mean, spend, you'll most likely want to upgrade your equipment. Hell, just today, I was drooling for some B&K seperates I was playing with over at Tweeter (Boy, that Diana Krall has one hell of a voice Smile.gif ). Oh one of these years, probably after I get the garage built and the driveway paved...

Again, enjoy your system, have fun and welcome to the Klub!

------------------

Steven Konopa

Fredericksburg, VA

Denon AVR3802 (Receiver)

RF-7 (Fronts)

RC-7 (Center)

RC-7 (Rear)

RS-7 (A Surrounds)

Infinity RS2000.5 (B Surrounds - recycled)

REL Storm III (Subwoofer 1)

Yamaha YST-SW40 (Subwoofer 2 - Recycled)

JVC XV-S65GD (DVD)

Sharp DX-200 (CD - ancient)

RCA DWD490RE (DirecTV/Ultimate TV receiver)

Sharp 32 inch (TV)

quote:

(Boy, that Diana Krall has one hell of a voice ).

I agree but I chuckled when reading a report on the CES a couple of years ago. The reporter,(unable to credit - can't remember who) said:"As much as I love her voice - by day three I was thinking - If I hear Dianna Krall's voice emanating from another sound room I'm gonna hurl!!

She's made quite a mark.

Lynn---Yeah, that Patricia Barber is another one. Does anyone actually listen to her for the music instead of the sound? Muzak for Baby-Boomers. I was at a Bottlehead meeting and the goons were listening to this kind of music through those silly Straight 8s powered by 2A3s. When I threw on Lights Out by UFO the rig crapped out.

Justin, Justin, Justin... 8189 POSTS?? Oy vey! Smile.gif

I am quite familiar with the slippery slope of endless upgrades. Right now I am pondering which convenience store I am going to have to knock over to get one of the new RSW-series subs. Hardly makes much sense to use the Yamaha sub I have when the RF-2's have about the same bottom end... I almost feel like I should just use the speaker-level leads to the center channel so I can only augment THAT speaker. I have to have the mains set to "small" and kill the bottom end of the big bruisers, and if I set them to "large" I end up with TOO much bottom end, no matter how I set it up. I guess I can think of worse positions to be in, eh?

I have already been on the Klipschwagon for a little over a year. New Speaker Time occurred in May 2001 when my beloved Infintys finally took The Big Dirt Nap. I listened to most of the "real" speakers in the $300 and under category, but the Klipschs totally knocked my socks off.

Now a little over a year later, I find my Klipsch Kollection has proliferated to an alarming extent, and yes, Justin, the SB-2's were originally the mains. Funny how what was "good enough" until I heard the SF-2's. Smile.gif

Shame how the new collection of speakers suddenly made a big, bad new Denon a "necessity". This Denon's predecessor, a 7 year-old Denon ProLogic unit, is presently miffed that it's relegated to a box. It's threatened to take one of the Klipschs out back and have it shot, but I'm using really good tape to keep the box closed and I don't think it can escape!

Now if I can only find an HDTV for about a hundred bucks or so, I'm alllll set.

Now regarding speaker wire connections, isn't it Klipsch that says in the user's manual that you should NEVER use bare-wire connections? Or is it Denon? Or is it that evil little man in my head who keeps telling me that "good enough" isn't REALLY good enough? I'm afraid I no longer know where reality ends and mindless Gottahaveitism begins.

Skonopa... You do realize, of course, that I have to hate you for having the reference setup and the 3802 that I REALLY want, right? Right? Well certainly the 3802 part right now, as I am wondering why I didn't spend the additional 200 bucks.

*sigh*

Good enough is good enough. Good enough is good enough. Good enough is good enough. Good enough is good enough. Good enough is good enough. Good enough is good enough...

Repeat ten times, take two aspirin, and get my credit line extended in the morning. Smile.gif

------------------

drloco-

That neglected, and dejected receiver is chewing on the tape as we speak, and he's more than miffed. BE AFRAID VERY AFRAID. I think he's out for total harmonic distortion.

cwm31.gif.

Neither Denon or Klipsch suggest not using bare wire connections, so it must be the evil little man - (I have an evil twin, so I know about these things)... And finally, we would ALL like to know when/where you find the hundred dollar HDTV!

cwm29.gif

Dr. D said:

Skonopa... You do realize, of course, that I have to hate you for having the reference setup and the 3802 that I REALLY want, right? Right? Well certainly the 3802 part right now, as I am wondering why I didn't spend the additional 200 bucks.

Now, now, in due time, you'll eventually be so blessed Smile.gif. That Denon AVR3802 does indeed sound awesome, especially for a reciever.

Here is my story on the very short learning curve/upgrade path I took to get what I now have. I originally started with RF-3II fronts and Synergy rears (two pairs of SS-1s) w/ KSW-10 sub. In the span of about a month, I traded the KSW-10 for a KSW-12 and thought I was set. The second set of SS-1s became SB-2s, then SB-3s. I then decided to trade all the Synergy for RS-3 surrounds and a second RC-3 for the rear. I also decided to trade the KSW-12 for a REL Storm III (at a significant increase in cost, but man does that thing sound incredible!). I thought I was set - a complete Reference 3 package with an incredible subwoofer. Well, somebody else on here traded all of his Reference 3s in for Reference 7s. He said they sounded really incredible over the 3s. I got to thinking if I want to do the same thing (at an even more significant increase in cost to me). I borrowed a pair of RF-7s from my dealer to try out. Needless to say, I still got those same RF-7s in my house and traded up the rest of my speakers to get the full Reference 7 package (my dealer said they unloaded the open box Reference 3 speakers really quick!). I ended up spending three times what I originally meant to spend on speakers, including having to take on some short-term debt to cover the cost. Hey, I had the money and I could afford it. Looking back, I am sure as hell glad I did. I love my system and enjoy it quite a bit Smile.gif.

However, I did thought it was funny that one of my friends had gotten a new CD so what does he do? Come to my place to try it out Smile.gif. He said he wanted to hear it on my stereo instead of his (his words) "crappy" stereo.

Interestingly, I was told by my dealer I was the very first one to spend over $1000 at that store (brand new Tweeter). I also found out that I was also one of the largest spenders at that store.

Anyway, you do have yourself a really good system there (mostly likely the exact same setup I'll recommend to my friend since he indicated he'd like to upgrade is stereo gear, but does not want spend anywhere near the money that I spent). Those Synergy speakers are excellent speakers, especially for the price. Enjoy what you have and don't feel guilty for not getting the "next best thing", because, there is always a "next best thing", especially in audio and computers. It all depends on how much you are willing to spend to get the "next best thing".

As for speakers, I feel I am set. I love the sound of the Reference 7s. I have listened to more expensive and supposedly better speakers, but still seem to come back to my 7s. Yes, those Viennas I was listening to are very nice sounding speakers, but I like the more "alive" sound of my Klipsch better. The only really big upgrades I have left is to get large screen HDTV to replace my Sharp 32inch and eventually move to seperates, neither of which will occur for at least 5 years from now (unless I get really lucky with the lotto or on a trip to Vegas Smile.gif ). Beyond that, I feel I have reached sonic satisfaction in my speakers.

P.S., to add - before the Klipsch, I had a Yamaha RV-702 reciever, Infinity fronts and Yamaha rears w/ a Yamaha YST-SW40 subwoofer, and I thought that sounded awesome Smile.gif (Again, at least it was not Bo$e). I did recycle the Infinity towers to use as a second set of surrounds and the Yammy sub as a second sub (although it does not come anywhere near what the REL Storm III can do, but for a cheap little sub, it has a very surprisingly clean, tight bass - not boomy at all).

------------------

Steven Konopa

Fredericksburg, VA

Denon AVR3802 (Receiver)

RF-7 (Fronts)

RC-7 (Center)

RC-7 (Rear)

RS-7 (A Surrounds)

JVC XV-S65GD (DVD)

Sharp 32 inch (TV)

This message has been edited by skonopa on 07-27-2002 at 11:05 PM

I know I am going to start a war here, but it's proven that speaker wire does not make much of a differece. If it did, than La Scalas would come with a connection that you didn't have to have a microscope and a pair of tweezers to connect.(unless the genius Klipsh designers of the 70's & 80's were on dope). Has anyone ever tried to hook up monster cable to the connecters.

Tell me you have been sucesfull. Unless it's an asronomical length, there is miniscule difference.

my $0.02.

------------------

NOZ SYSTEM

Fronts: Klipsch RF-7's

Center: Klipsch RC-7

Rears: Klipsch RS-7's

Projector: Infocus LP350

Screen: Draper Premier 96" x 72"

TV: Toshiba 37"

DVD: Toshiba SD 3107

Receiver: Harman Kardon AVR 7000

CD: Sony CDP CX250

EQ: Harmon Kardon EQ-8

Sub: Velodyne V-1012-B

Spare/Back-Up: La Scalas

http://www.geocities.com/seanshometheatre/

Sorry I cant spell, that should be "succesful", and clu, bare wire connections are the best.

------------------

NOZ SYSTEM

I still can't spell, nevermind I'm hopeless.

successful, oh whatever...

------------------

NOZ SYSTEM

Good enough is good enough. That HAS to be my mantra.

As is, I might be over-equipped for my current living situation... I live on the third floor in an apartment building and I'm quite certain that if I turn up my current system to the levels it's capable of, especially at night... Well, I will find a throng of my neighbors amassed outside the building with torches, demanding my head.

More power, bigger drivers, larger subs... All very nice ideas but I frankly think that I have ALREADY gotten carried away and might need to be carted off to a padded room. Being mid-day right now on a rare day off, I spent half an hour cranking the thing while listening to Madonna's second greatest hits disc (very bass-heavy in parts), and I'm just hoping none of my neighbors are home!! And when I say "cranked" I mean I turned the volume up to a heady "-15"... Obviously there's a lot more to give from this system, and I was already worried that I was pushing the boundaries.

Whenever it is I abandon my Peter Pan existence and get my own home is when I will likely upgrade to bigger and badder speakers. I am still pondering returning to my (authorized) Denon retailer and trading up to the 3802, if they'll let me, but I do have to ask myself... WHY? 90wpc is plenty with the very efficient Klipsch setup I have, and all I'd be getting would be an extra amp and an extra 20wpc all around... Slightly better electronics, too, but would I even notice??

Considering doing another unthinkable... Using the Yamaha sub only for purposes of fleshing out the bottom end of the front center-channel, by using the speaker-level inputs on the sub and running the outs to the speaker, leaving the mains (and surrounds) to do all their own work. Maybe, MAYBE investing in a better sub, but as I mentioned, this will probably only cause trouble in my current situation.

*sigh*

Anyone want to buy me a house? Smile.gif

------------------

This message has been edited by drdiaboloco on 07-29-2002 at 12:24 PM

Re: Wires.

As for speaker wires, the greatest extent I am willing to go to is to spring for 16ga speaker cable. I don't buy into the Huge Wire Theory, and I don't think that I would ever, EVER be able to tell... Especially since my front three channels all have cable runs of under ten feet... The surrounds, having less sonic importance in almost any imaginable situation, have much longer runs, of course, but I am thoroughly unconcerned.

My wonder is whether or not I should spend fifty bucks for banana plugs. I think that the interface between the cable and the equipment is much more important than the cable itself, but then again, I have never found an appreciable sonic degradation from using bare wire connections.

Keep in mind that a decade of working in and around airplanes (as well as two decades of loud music!) have probably damaged my hearing somewhat, which may help preclude me from hearing any finite differences that those with "golden ears" might notice.

It probably also explains why I like the Klips and their "bright" sound. Smile.gif

------------------

Dr. D., if you are happy with your current setup, why spend anymore money on upgrades, especially if you don't think they would make any difference? What you have is indeed a very nice system, plus if you are in a third floor apartment, going any more than what you have probably would be overkill.

The Denon AVR3802 does have some nice features. If you are curious as to what it actually has/can do, you can download the user's guide from Denon's website in PDF format. It is a very good sounding reciever. However, again, if you feel it is not worth it to upgrade, than don't. Yes, it is nice to have the nicest, coolest stuff, but don't run yourself into bankruptcy just to play "keep up with the Joneses next door", especially if the nicest/coolest stuff does not really do anything more for you other than give you "bragging rights".

I'll admit that even for my needs, what I have is probably overkill. It is all setup in a 14 x 14 foot living room (which opens into a dining room, though, so the room is actually twice as big, but I just have it setup in the one half). I fortunatly do have my own house so cranking it up is not as much of a problem, although having the neighbors ***** about it can still happen. I had somebody call the cops on me once for cranking my music too loud and I was just listening to MP3s on a freaking set of ProMedia v2.400's of all things!cwm19.gif

As far as wire goes, just get some decent quality wire, but don't go all out. I am just using mid-grade Monster cable on my setup, nothing too expensive, but still very decent quality. There has been many a discussion and holy war on here about wire.

Again, you have a very good setup. Enjoy it and have fun Smile.gif.

P.S., to add, also with regards as to what you plan on doing with your sub, there is nothing wrong with experimenting and trying things out. It just may work for you. In fact, I may try the same thing with my Yamaha YST-SW40 sub. I will admit that having a decent sub in your system will add quite a bit to the experience, especially for movies. For a good/inexpensive sub, you may want to look at the offerings put out by SVS Subwoofers . They are highly regarded on here and are very reasonably priced for what you get.

------------------

Steven Konopa

Fredericksburg, VA

Denon AVR3802 (Receiver)

RF-7 (Fronts)

RC-7 (Center)

RC-7 (Rear)

RS-7 (A Surrounds)

JVC XV-S65GD (DVD)

Sharp 32 inch (TV)

This message has been edited by skonopa on 07-29-2002 at 03:06 PM