Pioneer SX-1250 with two pairs of Heresy II's

jimjimbo

Hooked up my recently renovated Pioneer SX-1250 receiver to two pairs of Heresy II's that I recently recapped with Crites kits. 

They are stacked (gently) on top of my Belle's and Cornwalls.  Well, all I have to say is.....damn.....the 1250 is a brute, and churns out some serious low end to get the Heresy's really rockin'....fun stuff.

• Like 6

Hooked up my recently renovated Pioneer SX-1250 receiver to two pairs of Heresy II's that I recently recapped with Crites kits. 

They are stacked (gently) on top of my Belle's and Cornwalls.  Well, all I have to say is.....damn.....the 1250 is a brute, and churns out some serious low end to get the Heresy's really rockin'....fun stuff.

Lots of overkill... lots of fun!

• Like 1

Lots of overkill... lots of fun!
I like overkill! Enjoy your toys :-)

You have a great receiver there! I would love to get my hands on one that has been reconditioned. I imaging a full recap would be pretty expensive in parts alone. Those electrolytics look like beer cans. 

Another great receiver from the bigger is better days was the Marantz 2330. I would be overjoyed to have one of those too.

It seems to me like there was a killer JVC receiver, but I can't remember the model. I do remember the JVC receivers weren't much to look at, but the first Klipsch I ever heard were Heresy's and were being powered by a JVC.  It sounded damn good.

Personally, I had a Fisher Studio Standard 100WPC receiver in the early 80's. That was a lot of receiver for a poor college kid who worked at a grociery store... I wish I could have afforded Heresy's, but I ended up with a pair of JVC SK-S22's, which were some fairly well balanced 3 way ported 80 watt speakers.

Edited by mustang guy

I don't know what others pay, but in Omaha, a shop that specializes in vintage gets about $500 for a complete rebuild.  I've seen and heard the results and it is money well spent from my perspective.  I have one in now and the new caps just arrived Friday so they will be starting soon. I'm anxious to get mine back. It's a sweet and familiar sound to those of us who listened to these in the 70's, etc.  

I don't know what others pay, but in Omaha, a shop that specializes in vintage gets about $500 for a complete rebuild.  I've seen and heard the results and it is money well spent from my perspective.  I have one in now and the new caps just arrived Friday so they will be starting soon. I'm anxious to get mine back. It's a sweet and familiar sound to those of us who listened to these in the 70's, etc.  

Looking forward to hearing back from you on that. Make those Cornwalls sing again!

HA! I figured out the model of the receiver I had in college. It was a RS-280. Here are a couple pics i found on the google.

124142821_7_644x461_prodam-resiver-fishe

For a short period JVC had some interesting receivers and amplifiers.  Back in the early 1980s I had a “Super A” JVC R-X80 receiver, which was a quasi-type class-A circuit implementation and my first introduction to Class A type amplification.  

JVC R-X80 (Super A) Receiver.jpg

JVC defined “Super-A” as offering “the distortion-free sound of a class-A amp, and the efficiency of a class-B amp.”  Super-A worked with an Active Bias Circuit (ABC), strapped across the input of the power stage where the ABC controls the amount of bias following the output level's variation.  In theory, the output transistors never switch off meaning there is no switching distortion as in normal Class B and less excess heat production as found in Class A; however, they still produce a fair amount of heat.

post-36163-0-63160000-1410764383_thumb.j

Edited by Fjd