Custom Built cabinet help

Turbox

Hi all,

For some time I have been struggling with getting the right gear for a centre channel for my jubilee's. Just this week I purchased 3 K402's as my most recent upgrade. This leaves me with everything I need to really get the Centre channel of my dreams. For those that can remember, I have a height limit of about 32 inches. The lower profile the speaker, the better. I use that wall to project on when I am watching movies.

Option 1

Use Parts from a KPT-535-M. 904LF, K402, K510, and use a passive. See the picture.  So the challenge with this is how can I get all this into a single cabinet with a height of 32 to 34 inches. I really do want to keep this part of the room clean, in a single cabinet. Here are all my parts. The challenges I have is the cabinet design, and porting. I would need help with that.

post-55152-0-72120000-1411164389_thumb.j

Oprion 2

Use Parts from a KPT-435-M. 904LF, K510, K703 and use a passive. See the picture.  The challenges with this are quite a bit less, I think it is easy to design a well balanced cabinet with different dimensions with the same volume and port size and numbers. This option is much easier to keep it into a single cabinet with a height of 32 to 34 inches. Here are all the parts that I would use for this centre channel. I classify this as my second option because I'd really like to work that big 402 Horn into my centre.

post-55152-0-31840000-1411164865_thumb.j

I've already tried the KPT-535-M. 904LF, K402, K510 in the centre, and love it. Loving that 402.

Option 3

Use Parts I already have K402, K510, and build a La Scala Bin or a Belle bin with a passive. I dont think I'd be able to work this into a single cabinet in either case. I do have K33E's I can use to build these Bins. I think this would end up being a 2 piece unit. Bass Bin plue the MF/HF section. Probably easy to design since its a two piece option. No design needed, just an easy build. Not as clean but easy to keep the height within a reasonable limit. 

If we go with option 1 I need help with the design and port sizes.

• Like 1

its about 20 feet long. Jubilee's in each corner, nothing else on the wall at all. about 12 feet between each speaker. The empty space on the wall is where I project movies, The size of the screen is limited by the height of the centre channel. this is why I need to keep it as low profile as possible. I don't want to get into a screen. just want to use my wall...

• Like 1

You could get a nice auto AT screen(like the one I have). You wont even know its in the room when its up. The pq would be a lot better also. Im going to keep trying :)

Option 1 would be the best I think. You could put the 402 in middle and 1 15" on each side of it. That would be a pretty big box. But how good would a 402 sound a few inchs from the floor?

Edited by reference_head
  • Like 1

that is not going to fit well in the centre of my room. it will stick out a bit far. I need that wall to be and have a clean look.

I cut the QP down guite a bit for my center. It does not stick out a whole lot more than the La Scala it replaced. It is also only 17 inches tall which is important to me as well so it doesn't impinge on my screen.

I hope you figure out a solution and maybe we can have a pair built.  I just picked this center up from a forum member.  Well, I didn't pick it up - he delivered it!  But when I'm sitting in my chair the horn blocks the bottom of the screen - or the Broncos score in this case.  Before the drywall went up, I wired a center channel speaker wire to the ceiling, in the event I wanted to mount my academy.

hometheater.jpg

• Like 4

• Moderators
This leaves me with everything I need to really get the Centre channel of my dreams.

To me it would be no doubt the 402, some kind of folded horn would be my first choice. I like Scrappy's idea, angle the 402 up if possible, if not something on the floor in front of it to stop reflections.

I just really like the 402 and would do what needed to try and make one work if possible.

• Moderators
I hope you figure out a solution and maybe we can have a pair built. I just picked this center up from a forum member. Well, I didn't pick it up - he delivered it! But when I'm sitting in my chair the horn blocks the bottom of the screen - or the Broncos score in this case.

Cool looking room, :emotion-21:  what are the two bottom speakers with the grills ?

I see what your saying, the center is in the way.

How much space do you have under the stage, height/clearance, not the front face but past that ?

I hope you figure out a solution and maybe we can have a pair built. I just picked this center up from a forum member. Well, I didn't pick it up - he delivered it! But when I'm sitting in my chair the horn blocks the bottom of the screen - or the Broncos score in this case. Before the drywall went up, I wired a center channel speaker wire to the ceiling, in the event I wanted to mount my academy.

hometheater.jpg

Great room but...

Your room is screaming for a AT screen. Having a matching center channel is huge. I promise you will thank me later. :)

Edited by reference_head

I hope you figure out a solution and maybe we can have a pair built. I just picked this center up from a forum member. Well, I didn't pick it up - he delivered it! But when I'm sitting in my chair the horn blocks the bottom of the screen - or the Broncos score in this case. Before the drywall went up, I wired a center channel speaker wire to the ceiling, in the event I wanted to mount my academy.

hometheater.jpg

Great room but...

Your room is screaming for a AT screen. Having a matching center channel is huge. I promise you will thank me later. :)

A couple things - I've been hosting house concerts for 8 years, so I just built this out with the first priority being a house concert venue.  I wanted a screen that was electric.  I bought a BENQ projector that was the long throw model and it is currently just fitting within the 150" screen with the screen back.  Maybe I should have bought the short throw.  And I did this on a budget.  The AT screens at 150" just seem too expensive.

The k-402 is 27" tall, so you would want it as far from the floor as possible. 5" isn't much!

Is there enough room to flank the k-402 with a pair of LaScala bins? They are 2' square. The horn loaded bass would play well with the jubes.

I have about 12 feet horizontally, lots of room for sure. again I really want to keep it three way it possible. if I end up doing a two way setup, I'd had to bi-amp it with a crown xti1000. That's not a bad thing I guess, if I went with option 1 in a two way that cabinet would be easy to build as well...again, I'd just need help with the dimensions and also the ports.

Edited by Turbox

I hope you figure out a solution and maybe we can have a pair built. I just picked this center up from a forum member. Well, I didn't pick it up - he delivered it! But when I'm sitting in my chair the horn blocks the bottom of the screen - or the Broncos score in this case.

Cool looking room, :emotion-21:  what are the two bottom speakers with the grills ?

I see what your saying, the center is in the way.

How much space do you have under the stage, height/clearance, not the front face but past that ?

Your solution is easy. same box volume with ports and all with a lower profile. 15inch on either side of your 510 and your set. you could do that with about 18 inches in height.