Gentelmen we have a clear winner here.....OMG

minermark

Surfin the Bay and came across this Ebay posting, well there goes any hope for sleep tonight :ohmy:

Better get yourself a beer, when your done with this listing, your going to need one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/McIntosh-Marantz-JBL-Altec-Jensen-Western-Electric-Fisher-Scott-EV-Equipment/121421805582?_trksid=p2047675.c100010.m2109&_trkparms=aid%3D555012%26algo%3DPW.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D25805%26meid%3Dac912352834d47e096feea86067018da%26pid%3D100010%26prg%3D10778%26rk%3D7%26rkt%3D24%26sd%3D221239218560

Edited by minermark

I've seen his listings for years. The reason he still has all this stuff for sale is that he wants insane money for his items. He has listed individual items at times over and over for months and months - desireable stuff - that never sold because his asking prices fell into the "Yougottabekiddingme" category.

It's very interesting to drool, but I find it hard to take him seriously.

Its the same person you see fishing at the same pond on the side of the road and always walking back to their vehicle with an empty bucket.  But hey, if you never fish, you'll never catch anything.  If he posted that he had 250 Vintage, working McIntosh tube amps, it would still be risky in this economic environment.

I've seen his listings for years. The reason he still has all this stuff for sale is that he wants insane money for his items. He has listed individual items at times over and over for months and months - desireable stuff - that never sold because his asking prices fell into the "Yougottabekiddingme" category.

It's very interesting to drool, but I find it hard to take him seriously.

Funny, i looked at Al's feedback and he seems to be selling just fine.

I for one am glad to see someone with such fine taste and willing to share those tastes later in life, as in selling some of the greatest condition stuff iv ever seen.

im really going to make an effort today NOT to buy his fine Ham Radio goodies, may need to go with the wife to WallyWorld to take my mind off it. 

• Like 2

This is an opportunity for a young entrepreneur. I would ask to see the spreadsheet of this inventory and find out how the values compare to real world prices. If there is $1.5 million or more in salable inventory, it would be viable.

Even those books shown have value. If I were in my mid twenties again and I lived in the area, I would roll up my sleeves and jump right in. I would make a reasonable offer based on what I found, and possibly buy the property that houses the equipment if for sale. I would hire a couple of clever young people full time to stage and photograph and list on Ebay. When I was done, I would wholesale the rest out, clean up the building, and then sell it.

• Like 2

This is an opportunity for a young entrepreneur. I would ask to see the spreadsheet of this inventory and find out how the values compare to real world prices. If there is $1.5 million or more in salable inventory, it would be viable.

Even those books shown have value. If I were in my mid twenties again and I lived in the area, I would roll up my sleeves and jump right in. I would make a reasonable offer based on what I found, and possibly buy the property that houses the equipment if for sale. I would hire a couple of clever young people full time to stage and photograph and list on Ebay. When I was done, I would wholesale the rest out, clean up the building, and then sell it.

Now that is the kind of Positive statement i was looking for when i posted this last night.

Al, the guy who owns these goodies, is just like us, same hobby, same passion, but with the means to make his dreams come true, as he has done all his life. and now being the great guy he is, willing to share it in his later years.

Most of the "Snippits" i see from people here are mocking a guy that they wish they had the means to be.

There is not a person here, that if they won the LOTTO, would likely be in the same boat, think about it.

Mustang guy seems to have the same outlook on life as i, "Life is what we make it".   kudo's mustang  guy. 

If you have the money to buy inventory when the price is right (I seem to remember myostuff ads all over Craigslist and Chicago papers looking to buy) and the time to sit on that inventory, then the "market" for your price will eventually come to you.  Sooner or later someone will stumble onto a listing and open their wallet.

If broken down another way, the seller has been selling for 16 years and has ~ 1,522 positive feedback, which averages to about 95 feedback per year.  He sure has accumulated much more than 1,500 items in his current inventory for sale at the half-million dollar figure.  This would be a simple indicator that his prices are on the high side and that there may not be much room for negotiation with him.

To run an eBay internet type of business with that size inventory, I would need my inventory dollars to turn over more often for re-investment than how often his dollars seem to turn over for re-investment. Of course, we have no information to make any estimates on how much he sells outside of eBay (where an immediate 10% discount will essentially put him on even ground with an eBay sale).

I haven't been as focused on eBay selling as I have in the past; however, there were a few of the audio flippers on eBay with listing prices on the 'upper end' of the price range.  Not sure if they are still around; however, BarrynSue and Goldbug were a couple of sellers with nice vintage audio listing on the 'upper end' of the price range too.  Some were easier to negotiate with, others were not.   

For pricing on the high side, here is a recent thread where a nice condition McIntosh MC250 seemed on the high side at $800.

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/151719-should-i-buy-this-mc-250/

Here is his listing for a nice condition McIntosh MC250 for $1,050 plus $100 shipping

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-McIntosh-Stereo-Amplifier-MC-250-MC250-in-Very-Nice-Condition-50-Watts-C-/380985318414?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item58b47e9c0e

If the price is right for someone in the flipping business, even buying from eBay and flipping back to eBay is very common.  Not with these sellers; however, I saw an excellent pair of the Slyvania 6SN7 metal base tubes for $195 'buy it now' for the pair show up on one of my searches two years ago; however, they were sold before I logged in.  Two weeks later the same tubes hit my search again, but from another seller that I have bought tubes from and this time with a 'buy it now' price of $498.  It took almost a year of relisting; however, the seller eventually sold the tubes for $498.

• Like 1

It would be prudent to have an actual independent "inventory count" performed and a serious purchaser should hire someone with expertise to help put the value on the inventory.  If buying a business, which is essentially what a peson would be doing in this situation, it is easy to not understand what you are buying and even easier to make poor decisions. 

• Like 1

If you have the money to buy inventory when the price is right (I seem to remember myostuff ads all over Craigslist and Chicago papers looking to buy) and the time to sit on that inventory, then the "market" for your price will eventually come to you.  Sooner or later someone will stumble onto a listing and open their wallet.

If broken down another way, the seller has been selling for 16 years and has ~ 1,522 positive feedback, which averages to about 95 feedback per year.  He sure has accumulated much more than 1,500 items in his current inventory for sale at the half-million dollar figure.  This would be a simple indicator that his prices are on the high side and that there may not be much room for negotiation with him.

To run an eBay internet type of business with that size inventory, I would need my inventory dollars to turn over more often for re-investment than how often his dollars seem to turn over for re-investment. Of course, we have no information to make any estimates on how much he sells outside of eBay (where an immediate 10% discount will essentially put him on even ground with an eBay sale).

I haven't been as focused on eBay selling as I have in the past; however, there were a few of the audio flippers on eBay with listing prices on the 'upper end' of the price range.  Not sure if they are still around; however, BarrynSue and Goldbug were a couple of sellers with nice vintage audio listing on the 'upper end' of the price range too.  Some were easier to negotiate with, others were not.   

For pricing on the high side, here is a recent thread where a nice condition McIntosh MC250 seemed on the high side at $800.

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/151719-should-i-buy-this-mc-250/

Here is his listing for a nice condition McIntosh MC250 for $1,050 plus $100 shipping

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-McIntosh-Stereo-Amplifier-MC-250-MC250-in-Very-Nice-Condition-50-Watts-C-/380985318414?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item58b47e9c0e

If the price is right for someone in the flipping business, even buying from eBay and flipping back to eBay is very common.  Not with these sellers; however, I saw an excellent pair of the Slyvania 6SN7 metal base tubes for $195 'buy it now' for the pair show up on one of my searches two years ago; however, they were sold before I logged in.  Two weeks later the same tubes hit my search again, but from another seller that I have bought tubes from and this time with a 'buy it now' price of $498.  It took almost a year of relisting; however, the seller eventually sold the tubes for $498.

Good observation, Well if that is what Al has been up to, id say good for him if you can make a living off Ebay.

I dont see how anyone can these days, they ream me for fee's everytime i sell something, maybe in the "Highend" market you dont mind the fee's.

Good observation, Well if that is what Al has been up to, id say good for him if you can make a living off Ebay.

I dont see how anyone can these days, they ream me for fee's everytime i sell something, maybe in the "Highend" market you dont mind the fee's.

For most of us I believe that eBay ends up being more of a vehicle that helps us facilitate our hobbies.  Essentially, bring in the new stuff and clear out the old stuff.  I suspect that you and I are probably in this category.

It is difficult to make a decent living in most pursuits as they typically require much more of a time, and resource, commitment than if a peson was working for a company with a steady paycheck. 

I have found that the guys that focus on "buying and selling" (I never really cared for the word flipping) vintage audio like myostuff, BarrynSue and Goldbug, among others, are most likely putting in huge hours and typically know the product better than some of the sellers that just buy inventory they know little about through estate sales. 

To really understand, account for, and maximize sales considering the "cost of using the eBay distribution channel" (i.e. eBay, PayPal & credit card fees, etc.), the good sellers that seem to turn over higher volumes of product and make money will put in huge amounts of time cleaning items going up for sale, trying to present them in a professional manner with clear and detailed pictures, help in educating the new owner about an item, and typically know how to work with buyers to ship properly. 

• Like 1

To me, it's actually a little offensive. Don't was his time offering current eBay prices? His piles of uninventoried, untested, equipment are worth more than the tested documented stuff on every other listing? The guy is delusional or just a tool. I wouldn't buy anything from him. Just my .02

That is nuts.

mustang you right, you would need to hire people for that.

About 1.5 years ago my landlords brother (Bill) passed. My landlord(Fred-he owns my shop) told me the widow is trying to sell all the stuff Bill had. So one weekend I meet Fred over the house. Nancy (the widow) meet us at the door, into the houe we go. Just looking around the house I new this was going to be a treasure hunt.

Well I was there for the tools that Fred told me about. But the 1st thing I spotted was a big vintage Velodyne 18" sub. There was some b/s gear stacked on it. It was'nt hooked up just sittin there. No other real audio stuff just the sub.

So I started to check this beast out and Nancy asked me if I new what it was. So I told what it was, I rattled off the specs, how old it was and how much it cost new. Fred said "you are real close I was there when Bill bought it". Nancy's eyes got big and she said "so you know a lot about .........stereo stuff......." I told her I know a bit.....I am not the knower of "ALL". Nancy looks at Fred and said " wait till he gets down-stairs!

Now I'm there for tools and this has now taken a turn..........Down to the basement we go......Yes my heart was pumping. In the basement it was true CHAOS........It was unreal. I did not know where to start. There was stuff stacked on stuff stacked on stuff!!! A lot of cool gear and some b/s stuff. I'm talking Altec, EV, AR's, ADS, Carver, Marantz, Pioneer, Kenwood......all from amps to recevers to horns-woofers to complete speakers to reel to reel.

WOW.......it was so much......She wanted it all gone. She had no clue what it was worth. I told her I would help her with this.

The plan was I would bring all to my house(many trips) to see what worked and what did not. For my work she said we can split the money. That was fine but I wanted one set of speakers, the big Altec 1202b's. So she made some $$$$ I got some Altec's all was good. I ended up trading the Altec's that's how I got one set of my KP-362's

Now you ask what about the tools? I ended up buying the whole lot. Yea all, from full toolboxes to big plastic bins full of tools to 3 mini metal lathes(two were the Atlas lathes from the early 70's).......and the big South-Bend in the corner OH YEA! It was a good day.

:-)