Tube rolling, both fun and rewarding.

Rick J B

In my Fisher 500c, I found my magical combination to be GE black plate triple mica 5751s in the tone tubes, and RCA Black plate triple mica 12ax7 in the phase position.

I also have a 2 pairs of Fisher branded Telefunkens, however I found them a little to bright for use.

I am also running a pair of GE Black plate triple Micas in my Jolida FX DAC II.

Gorm, I use a FX DAC-II in my system also. What different tubes have you tried in it?

So far I've used the new make Tung-Sol's that came with it and a pair of new issue Mullard's. Not sure yet which I like better, not sure I can hear a difference really.

I also have a rebuilt Fisher integrated amp coming that should prove interesting to roll tubes through. :)

You really have to try the 5751s GE Black plate, they take the DAC to another level.

Do you ever make it up to Iowa? Love to show off the system at some point to other people. :)

I'll put those on the short list. I didn't know you could plug a 5751 in a 12AX7 spot. I like what I read about those GE's tho. What does a NOS pair usually retail for?

The guys on hifiwigwam really like Siemans ECC83's in the Jolida too.

This isn't the GE tube you're referring to is it. : http://www.thetubestore.com/Tubes/12AX7-ECC83-Tube-Types/JAN-GE-5751

Also, how do you connect your Jolida to your CD player? I'm using an optical cable but have a coax cable I'll try eventually.

And if I'm ever up your way I'll holler, I'd love to see your setup.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NOS-Matched-Pair-GE-GL-5751-5751-black-plate-triple-mica-5-Star-triode-tubes-/331322113414?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item4d24563d86

These are the tubes.

I have the Jolida connected to my Squeezebox. That is connected to my computer via CAT5. All my content is FLAC based. It is connected via a COAX.

• Like 1

Ohhhhhhhhhhhh....................that's not going to work. :o:wacko:

I decided to try the Siemans ECC83's in the DAC, so I had to roll a pair of Mullard 12AX7's (new) into the preamp. Ugh, instantly noticeable and not in a positive way.

No, for now anyway the Siemans stay in the preamp.

I decided to try the Siemans ECC83's in the DAC, so I had to roll a pair of Mullard 12AX7's (new) into the preamp. Ugh, instantly noticeable and not in a positive way.

Those 5751s will work in the Jolida...

Those 5751s will work in the Jolida...

Except for the fact I don't have any, big guy! :angry::P

When I got my first tube amp, a Scott 222C, from this forum no less, it had great vintage tubes. Mullards and Telefunkens. When I bought my peach I started reading and rereading all the threads on tubes.  I ended up with several pairs of vintage tubes and still enjoy rolling to this day.  I think my favorite is either the 60's vintage CCA or the Late 60's Phillips SQ. I would suggest trying them, I did have a fun journey, and still throw in one of the 25 or so other vintage tubes in the peach. Enjoy the journey.

• Like 1

How long do you guys wait until you deem a tube not right for youe system?

An hour... hours... or days worth of play back?

After changing out my genalex with phillips sq's I feel I gain some stuff but lost a lot of lower register impact and quality.

Edited by Schu

I always give a minimum of a full day across a number of musical selections - and then if it isn't a complete "fail" I give it a few weeks. The subtle nature of the differences tend to take some time to sort out. Often it is "win some/lose some".

Give that Philips some time, and listen for what is happening in the midrange and to the imaging. This is where that tube tends to excel.

Many of the Russkie tubes are authoritative in the lower registers but get a little wooly in the mids/highs.

An early '70s Siemens A frame is a lot like the Philips but has a bit more authority down low. I tend to prefer the Philips and Siemens in the 6DJ8/6922/7308 family. Of course in your gear YMMV.

that is exactly my observations with about an 3 hours on them... mid upper range is really nice and well sorted, dimensional and extends well past my hearing range with authority without harshness.

I will give it much more time before changing back to genalex just to hear the differences.

that is exactly my observations with about an 3 hours on them... mid upper range is really nice and well sorted, dimensional and extends well past my hearing range with authority without harshness.

I will give it much more time before changing back to genalex just to hear the differences.

That's the reason I like them. It took me a little while to get used to a little less bottom (in my case vs. an '80's US made JAN Philips, which is a much different tube), but what I came to understand was that the bass is more natural with the earlier Philips stuff.....and the mids and highs are really good - what I have tube gear for. The presence of the mids can affect your perception of the bass, as well as speaker positioning which can affect bass response too.

Once you get used to the finer characteristics of the 50's to 60's era Philips and other similar vintages it can turn you into a picky SOB. There's a reason people pony up the $$$ for these.

• Like 1

That's the reason I like them. It took me a little while to get used to a little less bottom (in my case vs. an '80's US made JAN Philips, which is a much different tube), but what I came to understand was that the bass is more natural with the earlier Philips stuff.....and the mids and highs are really good - what I have tube gear for. The presence of the mids can affect your perception of the bass, as well as speaker positioning which can affect bass response too.

Once you get used to the finer characteristics of the 50's to 60's era Philips and other similar vintages it can turn you into a picky SOB. There's a reason people pony up the $$$ for these.

Great observations, and some I've experienced myself.

The US made JAN 6922 tube (don't know when made) at the front of my amp was far better than any of the new make tubes I tried in that spot. In fact it took a Sylvania short black plate of 50's vintage to improve on the Army / Navy tube. For the money I've decided the milspec tubes are a decent buy, at least for now as their prices too are rising.

Right now in my preamp I have 50's vintage Raytheon and Sylvania 12AX7 and 12AU7's respectively. In the DAC I now have Siemans ECC83's and its the best sound I've had thus far. Bass is tighter, highs are not raspy or shrill and the midrange is lush and warm. I can listen to this setup all day with no ear fatigue. Classical, Jazz or Rock/Pop, doesn't matter, all quite nice. :)

I am happy with the sound from this combination

MULLARD GZ32 CV593

KT 150's Tong-Sol

CBS 7318

Tesla 12ax7

The Tesla 12AX7 is a awesome sounding tube. CBS 7318's are the best. The 89.00 price was meant to be a joke one would be lucky to even find a pair at 5x that cost

Edited by A1UC
  • Like 1