For you car geeks, DIY'er mechanics or otherwise

John Warren

I'm waiting for the "Nano Injection Repair Tools" which are injected into the gas and pass through the entire engine and repair it

before they come out the exhaust. Then they toot the horn 3 times when they are finished.

JJK

• Like 2

I don't think it's hard at all to understand why consumers car manufacturers won't allow consumers to easily access own info for their cars; follow the money.

I was in the auto parts biz in the 60's-70's.  Every shade tree mechanic could fix nearly any poorly running car, all you needed was points, plugs and condenser.  The expensive dealer service departments were barely breaking even, because the DIY car repair guys ruled the roost.

Today, it is almost the opposite.  Cars are electronically so sophisticated (and proprietary) the shade tree mechanics are virtually gone.  There are still high quality independent repair businesses, but they always have a proper garage, well trained and certified mechanics and thousands of dollars worth of diagnostic equipment.  

The dealer service department is no longer a break-even part of the dealership, but a money maker, because car owners almost HAVE to come to them due to their propitiatory knowledge, and then they take advantage of their position to sell you very profitable add-ons the average consumer wouldn't even notice.

My wife always has her oil changed at the Honda dealership.  They ALWAYS charge about 47 cents for a washer.  Washers cost about buck for a thousand.  It all ads up as profit for the dealer. 

Follow the money.

• Like 1

I don't think it's hard at all to understand why consumers car manufacturers won't allow consumers to easily access own info for their cars; follow the money.

I was in the auto parts biz in the 60's-70's.  Every shade tree mechanic could fix nearly any poorly running car, all you needed was points, plugs and condenser.  The expensive dealer service departments were barely breaking even, because the DIY car repair guys ruled the roost.

Today, it is almost the opposite.  Cars are electronically so sophisticated (and proprietary) the shade tree mechanics are virtually gone.  There are still high quality independent repair businesses, but they always have a proper garage, well trained and certified mechanics and thousands of dollars worth of diagnostic equipment.  

The dealer service department is no longer a break-even part of the dealership, but a money maker, because car owners almost HAVE to come to them due to their propitiatory knowledge, and then they take advantage of their position to sell you very profitable add-ons the average consumer wouldn't even notice.

My wife always has her oil changed at the Honda dealership.  They ALWAYS charge about 47 cents for a washer.  Washers cost about buck for a thousand.  It all ads up as profit for the dealer. 

Follow the money.

I used to run after parts from your dad's store. Those were the days...

We both know that Simmon's charges too much for parts. I fixed a Passat a couple years ago, and I priced parts online. I went into Simmons with those prices and was surprised that they actually came down a little. Normally, they charge the MSRP for them.

BTW, the clutch is out on my son's 2010 Accord. I will be looking into doing that this week. Not sure if I'm gonna shell out the $$$$$'s for Simmon's to do it. I've never done a Honda, but I have done an AWD Subaru a couple times. Can't be too different as they are both Japanese.

Follow the money.

We both know that Simmon's charges too much for parts. I fixed a Passat a couple years ago, and I priced parts online. I went into Simmons with those prices and was surprised that they actually came down a little. Normally, they charge the MSRP for them.

BTW, the clutch is out on my son's 2010 Accord. I will be looking into doing that this week. Not sure if I'm gonna shell out the $$$$$'s for Simmon's to do it. I've never done a Honda, but I have done an AWD Subaru a couple times. Can't be too different as they are both Japanese.

What snowed me is on the foreign built cars if the torque rating on the bolt was 20 foot pounds it was torqued too 19.99 foot pounds.

I found that hard to handle.

JJK

I love the people at Simmons Honda, they are great, do good work and stand behind what they do.  However, 90 bucks an hour for service work is 90 bucks an hour.

Regarding but I would agree with you it should be fairly straightforward, and you need clutch, pressure plate, and throw out bearing.  But I suspect you already knew that.  B)

I have a guy (ironically, called the Honda Guy) who has done all my Honda work for the last 25 years.  His rates are more than reasonable, and he is FAST.  I'll PM you his name and number is case you want to use him.  He is on 7th Street, just across from Wendy's and down the street a half a block.  He may be the last of the shade tree mechanics, but he knows his Honda's inside and out.

Edited by wvu80

Follow the money.

hey mustange guy have fun pulling that trans, they are a pain. It's just a lot of stuff to take off. Both V-6 and 4 cylinder, you gotta drop the sub-frame. Both 4 and 6 cyl have a book time of about 9 hours.

A few months ago I did a clutch on a Acura TL type S, it was on my lift for 2 days. It was a pain....

I remember back in the day, I could do a clutch on an old Civic in less than an hour. Those were the good ole days :-)

Yeh most shops are about $100 bucks a hour. My shop is at $98 bucks a hour if pay with credit-card. If you pay with cash or check I will do %10 off labor, so would be $88 an hour.

Any how good luck with the clutch..... Mark....