Wine lovers here?

jimjimbo

Agree with the comments here, but remember Winos were resistant to synthetic corks and Stevlin caps at first also. Both have proven their worth. 99% of all wine produced is meant to be consumed in fairly short order. Here in the US most wine purchased is drunk within 48 hours of being bought. I am a fan of the Loring Wine Co, who make some nice big Cali Pinots and all of their $40-$50 dollar bottles come with Stevlin screw off caps. Not much romance in opening them, but no sweat about cork taint and I have laid some of these bottles down for 5+ years with no problems.

Good evening  everyone....  I thank Boxx for steering me toward this forum :)

Growing up in an Italian family setting, there was always red vino on the table...  My grandparents from Italy had their own wine making skills at work from vines in their own backyard here in Western MA.   Having a Sunday dinner there, wine was always present...  

When I moved out on my own at the late age of 41, I decided to try wine with my dinner each night.   I started with the big gallon jugs etc.   A good friend of mine suggested the BOX....  Well, I have been hooked on various box wines (the 5 liter kind) since 1997 and just tonight picked up another along with two bottles from the bargain section at the local store...   Consumed on a nightly basis, it is greatly enjoyed here each evening...

Boxx also mentioned wine clubs...   We have been members of Laithwaites for a number of years now and are very pleased with our ALL RED order when it arrives every few months.   My boss at work has been a member of the Zagat wine club which is pretty much the same thing.

Only LAST MONTH, did the announcement arrive at his door that Zagat was pretty much run by Laithwaites, and so now, all Zagat members will be getting Laithwaites marked boxes..

Boxx, did you notice the Laithwaites logo has changed??   That is when the 'take over' began...

Anyway, during the week, I enjoy Franzia Cab and Carlo Rossi Cab from the box, while on weekends, bottles from the wine club are enjoyed...

Thats my story for now..........DO stop buy the Fine Food and Music area, I usually have some detailed photos of dishes from my kitchen which you can look through at your leisure ;)

...................Gary

Edited by Tigerman

Nice to see you in a different area of the forum Gary.  I don’t think people here liked my MD 20/20 recommendation. Tough crowd--although i do confess that when i consumed the Mad Dog was back in my days of being a sailor, pulling into port and grabbing bottles of different stuff. The goal was to get drunk fast, often it was a pint of some sort of whiskey and occasionally a motel room and a pony keg of beer.   :D