No idea what system would be best for my room. Can anyone help?

vince321

All -

What a great and engaging forum.  Thank you very much for the responses and photos.  As Scrappy indicates above, I think bigger is probably better and the swing isn't that much.  The RF-62's with matching center is where I'm leaning, especially if I can get the set for $1100 bucks (If anyone cares to share where I can find such a deal, please email me).  My only concern remains the size of the speakers and subwoofer in a smallish room............not so much me, but my wife.  She's gonna freak a bit when a pallet of speakers arrive:)

Why is their so little information on the R-112SW and R-115SW subwoofers?  Are they that new?  Has anyone tried them?  Otherwise I will probably lean towards an SVS or two.

All -

What a great and engaging forum. Thank you very much for the responses and photos. As Scrappy indicates above, I think bigger is probably better and the swing isn't that much. The RF-62's with matching center is where I'm leaning, especially if I can get the set for $1100 bucks (If anyone cares to share where I can find such a deal, please email me). My only concern remains the size of the speakers and subwoofer in a smallish room............not so much me, but my wife. She's gonna freak a bit when a pallet of speakers arrive:)

Why is their so little information on the R-112SW and R-115SW subwoofers? Are they that new? Has anyone tried them? Otherwise I will probably lean towards an SVS or two.

google acoustic sound design. Call the number. It will most likely go to mike. He is the owner. Those front there should be 1150$ shipped if I remember right. And I would hold off on a Klipsch sub until someone try's out the new one. Unless you wanna be the first?!?! If so I would only get the biggest one. Ask mike while your on the phone with him. He will do bundle deals. More you buy the more he can cut off.

This subwoofer gets killer reviews and would maybe be a good option.  Smallish footprint too.  Power Sound Audio X15SE.

http://www.powersoundaudio.com/collections/subwoofers/products/xs15se

You are right, that sub gets killer reviews. Also take a look at the two new HSU subs. The new VTf15 might be the new performance for $ leader excluding DIY.

And Scrappy, I was trying to get Vince to be the R-115SW guinea pig;)

here is a few size comparison photos. they are good reference. 

(other pics respectfully snipped, I just wanted to reference your post -Dave)

14028704478_727f6262f4_c.jpg

Excellent pics, Scrappy.  That is the kind of help I've found can be found on this forum, and nowhere else.

this is kind of an off statement. as someone who just came from the kl-650 that is sounds like you have to the kpt-904's that i have now i can assure you that both being crossed at 80 is TOTALLY different. the amount of slam in the chest from my dual 15's is NIGHT AND DAY different than the kl-650's. nothing wasteful at all about having larger speakers crossed over high.

You're talking about two huge pro audio paper woofers in a massive 156 pound cabinet and likely a low tuning frequency and a 104 db stated efficiency, which is likely accurate and not exaggerated like some others are. Yeah I imagine it does have some slamming midbass. Will you get that same effect by bumping up one or two sizes in the same family of consumer friendly towers while keeping the crossover fairly high? I doubt it.

I agree though, bigger is typically always better. I just like to let the fronts go as low as they can handle with music. If there's a big hit from a floor tom, I don't like nearly all that material getting sent to the sub. Getting large towers that would sound great with material like this but choking them off anyway and sending it to the sub is a bit of a waste in my opinion.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters
  • Like 2

The reason for my previously stated opinion of mine is that one of the best home theaters I've heard didn't cross the subs over until 40 hz. He let his towers run full range and only kicked in the subs as the towers rolled off. He had a set of $22,000 Revel's but the ones playing at the time were slightly smaller, powered by an external Marantz amp. We played Ironman 2 where Whiplash was slashing the cars in half. It was literally scary, I have seen this movie multiple times before, but here I was bug-eyed with my jaw dropped. The dynamics and the way all the sound blended together and the entire frequency spectrum appeared to come from the screen during the bullwhip hits was amazing. The thing is though, it was all from beautiful furniture-grade consumer level speakers. I don't think he would have had quite as nice of an effect if he had choked off his towers at 80 hz.

It all just depends on how you set your stuff up really. When I had my thx I crossed at 100 because my subs handled 80-100 better than the thx did. Completely room dependent I'm sure. I cross my mains now at 80. I've tried down to 40 hz where they are rated and then tried full range. Both sounded a bit fuller at low volumes but once you ramp it up to exciting levels my ears could hear no difference. And I'd say that's because I have my stuff set up as good as I can possibly have it with my gear in my room. My subs provide tons of output and are flat down to single digits. I'm happy with my setup and couldn't ask for more. Very blessed.

I kinda get where you are going with that. With an electronic crossover, you can very quickly change crossover slopes or even disable LP/HP filtering. It is just as easy to change the crossover point. That is beneficial, because you can instantly hear if it is more pleasing. I was tuning a set of Heresy's to a single THT, and what I found was that I liked the Heresy crossed over at 40Hz with a very steep 48db/octave slope.  The sub was crossed at something like 55Hz, with a less steep 12db/octave slope.

This really did allow the Heresy to hit bass notes a LOT harder (with the sub off you could definitely tell). 

Point of note: I may be wrong, but I did some experimenting last night trying to find out what the common low bass notes there are in hip-hop and rap songs. I do not listen to that stuff, but my son does. What I found is that those low notes are 50Hz. That surprised me. Go check it out. For instance, the modern song 'Bang Bang' which seems to go really low is actually banging away at 51Hz.

Does that surprise anybody else? I always thought it was in the 30's...

Edited by mustang guy
  • Like 2

I retested it today, and the song has bass sections at 50 Hz and at 31Hz. Audacity did not show that, but my FFT listening to the actual recording did. In fact, I checked some other bass heavy songs today, and 30-34Hz is very popular today.

FYI, a sub that is capable of 27Hz+ should be very capable of reproducing today's popular bass heavy stuff. By the looks of it, the T30 and the Table Tuba are excellent BFM subs for today's bass heavy music if you wanted to go that route. For movies with a good bit of LFE, you should be able to reproduce 20Hz.

I don't think there are many full range speakers that can hit 27Hz, so a sub is pretty much imperative unless you hit the Loudness button.  :)

I retested it today, and the song has bass sections at 50 Hz and at 31Hz. Audacity did not show that, but my FFT listening to the actual recording did. In fact, I checked some other bass heavy songs today, and 30-34Hz is very popular today.

FYI, a sub that is capable of 27Hz+ should be very capable of reproducing today's popular bass heavy stuff. By the looks of it, the T30 and the Table Tuba are excellent BFM subs for today's bass heavy music if you wanted to go that route. For movies with a good bit of LFE, you should be able to reproduce 20Hz.

I don't think there are many full range speakers that can hit 27Hz, so a sub is pretty much imperative unless you hit the Loudness button.   :)

I knew I should have dropped by the shop today!  I was going to, but changed my plans late.  I'd like to have heard what you were doing.

My youngest son is in from Germany (see my avatar, center) and he was leaving in late afternoon to go to Morgantown for the WVU-Baylor game tomorrow.  The point being, I hung around with him all day until he left.

My son has been listening to the Klipsch CF-4 lately, but his genre is music is bizarre, kind of a heavy-metal- meets-pirates-tunes kind of thing.  He does really like the loud and thumping CF-4.

Edited by wvu80

Point of note: I may be wrong, but I did some experimenting last night trying to find out what the common low bass notes there are in hip-hop and rap songs. I do not listen to that stuff, but my son does. What I found is that those low notes are 50Hz. That surprised me. Go check it out. For instance, the modern song 'Bang Bang' which seems to go really low is actually banging away at 51Hz.

Does that surprise anybody else? I always thought it was in the 30's...

I'm not familiar with that song but generally speaking this is exactly right.  People don't know what they're hearing.  About the lowest tone in music I've heard was Madonna, and that required the help of an Epicenter.  She had a song that had a 76 hz tone that slammed pretty good, but when you run it through an Epicenter you drop that frequency in half which is 38.  A guy I knew built a box that was tuned to that, it was nuts, you could flip a cup of coffee off the roof.  Normal music, even hip hop that seems super low, just doesn't have this material in it.  Modern movies have material that is much lower than any rap song.  

There is no way I would ever part with my Khorns, only continue to make them better. I love what the big ole horns can do, even if you are NOT a tweaking audiophile seeking the best watt in flea-powered amplification. They cast a big, wide, clear, dynamic soundstage that sounds more like the real thing for less money than any meg-buck system I have heard. The huge bass bins create real live acoustic bass, not a electronic copy of the electric thing. Vocals sparkle and shimmer as if flowing down a mountain stream. Imaging is as solid as Tinkerbelle. I heard only two different Khorns at preacherman Daddydees’ May 2004 Klipsch gathering in Little Rock, Arkansas, in two very different rooms and set-ups, but they both sounded like Khorns to me. They got it. They both conveyed the elusive magic tweaking audiophile all seek. There is no way I would ever part with my Khorns….unless there is a deal on JBL bass bins, with let’s see, Altec 511B horns and ….

Stereos, As They Relate to Indoor Sport

I frequently hear lush, smooth, high-quality, intimate and live-in-the studio type sound systems in my local tweaking audiophile Meetup. I hear a $30 class D chip amplifier, like Trends or Sonic Impact, on my Big Ole Horn loudspeakers all the time. I would take the inherent musicality of extremely low distortion, incredible dynamics and amazing efficiency of Big Ole Horn loudspeakers over any cone loudspeaker any day, regardless of looks or size. Big Ole Horn loudspeakers are the instrument. They make music. I heard a cheap boom box driving my Klipsch Khorns. It was almost wonderful. See “Stereos, As They Relate to Indoor Sport” http://www.enjoythemusic.com/senselessrambling/