CL: 62 cornwalls ~ $1600

Guest Steven1963

Guest Steven1963

no affil.

in my town.

cabs look almost perfect.  But what I am curious about is the driver layout.  You can see through the grille that the woofer is off-center and the mid/tweeter horns are vertical and offset also?

I have no experience with CWs this old so I can't say if it's right or these are being marketed incorrectly. Ser# are 250 and 251...some of the first made? Also looks like water damage on the bottom of one of the grilles, and a very light obligatory planter ring on the top.  And lastly, price is to the moon high imo...unless because they are among the first made they fetch a premium?  Like I said I don't know much about them.

http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/ele/4716422838.html

absolutely stunning set of factory mahogany veticals. has the 15" woofer with a 10-12" cutout.  it uses the k-1000 midrage and the slot in the back

i'd own them if there were closer

i know forum member Gilbert had one of these

http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/ele/4716422838.html

I believe the one Gilbert had is the one I delivered to another forum member at the 2011 Klipschfest .

So am I to understand that the price is fair for these?  God I just bought a Canon 1dx otherwise I'd take the pickup and get them.

Those zebra woods had a hard time getting 1200$, but they finally sold. I would expect these to be about the same... 950-1200.

Its a tiny midrange opening. Seems strange they would make the hole smaller than the drivers.

The midrange opening you see there is the exact size of the horn if I am not mistake it is a K1000 horn but I may be mistaken. Nice if you are a collector but for someone who wants a great sounding set of speakers no. Best regards Moray James.

post-44375-0-64720000-1413438711_thumb.j

• Like 1

Those are actually 1961 models.  In 1962 Klipsch started using alpha characters in the S/N.  Last I knew Gilbert had the oldest known pair of Cornwall's on the forum with S/N's 281 & 285 I think in Walnut Oil, no risers these are even older.  His had the K-600 horn and the standard cut out for the K-33J Jensen woofer.  He did have a single similar to these in Mahogany Raw with different grill cloth that he could not find a mate for and sold.

These are the older versions with the slotted port in the back, the factory risers and in a book matched pair.  They will likely have the EV 15PWK chrome basket woofers, the K-1000 & K-55, and the 16ohm chrome throat K-77 with screw on terminals.  They will also have the hand wound bobbinized coils in the crossover networks. I see the clear acrylic Klipsch nameplates are still intact as well.  This is really rare since stereo was in its infancy at that time.  Whomever picks these up will have the oldest Cornwall pair known to be in existence and in very nice shape I might add.  The mahogany finish is not that common the small flaws can be buffed out.  The slight stain in the cloth is due to condensation.  These are some of the finest examples I have seen on the forum in my 14 years here.  Keep in mind these are 53 years old!

While pricey I would say they are worth it since you are buying history.  Perhaps he could be widdled down a bit on the price though.  I sold my refinished and totally stock 1962's on eBay years ago for $1525 to a forum member from MD.  They were perfect.

Edited by Frzninvt