RF-82II vs RF-7II, 17' x 23' dedicated HT room

djgar10w

I'm a long time lurker needing advice from the community:

Been working on a basement HT, roughly 17' wide by 23' deep with a bar on the back and one row riser seating in front of that. I prewired with 12 gauge for 7.2 with wall mounted surrounds. For my size of room what would you all recommend. I've narrowed it down to RF-82II or RF-7II with their respective pairings.

Bonus question: Which sub to pair with RF-82II or RF-7II, I'd like to stick within the klipsch family for sub as well. I've been looking at SW-115 and SW-310.

• Moderators

Welcome to the forums.  The RF-82ii are great and are no slouch by any means but if you can swing it, go with the RF-7ii.  Real wood veneer, larger tweeter and horn, with much bigger sound.  You will never have to wonder if you should have upgraded to begin with.  They are absolutely incredible speakers.

I have not heard those Klipsch subs so I will let others chime in.  You also might want to consider the recently released R-115SW.

Metropolis just purchased two of them.  Maybe he will share his thoughts on them soon.

I've got RF-7ii's in a 15x20 room, it works fine.  The only issue with sizing at all is that it sticks out from the wall a little more than some would be comfortable with.  Spread them out and it's fine but if you get close to the screen it looks a little goofy if viewing from the side due to the size, and looks a little goofy from the middle due to glare from the screen.  The massive and very deep matching center channel seems more overkill than the towers do.  

Personally I wouldn't touch a 10" sub if you've got large towers like this, even if there was three of them in there.  The 15 would be way better, but I'd recommend two of them if the budget allows.  As mentioned in the above post, I have two, will comment further soon.  

I think the 8's would sound fine, but as for one specific, you go from plastic and vinyl to a real wood veneer.  Not sure if that is important but the difference is pretty striking, the RF-7ii's are very sexy, you won't get that same look with the 8's.  They'll still look nice but you'll get plastic and whatnot for the enclosure.  

Both the 7's and 82 would be fine especially if you are using a subwoofer/s.  As others have mention, it will prevent the upgrade bug and is a more refined speaker.  I would also suggest a 15 in. sub.  When you first get any of these speakers, they look very large but, they will grow on you quickly. :)   Welcome to the Klipsch forum and stick around.  These guys will help you get the most out of your system. :D

$2k difference in systems is my hesitation, but once you see those 7ii's the price seems a lot less, any way...

AcousticSoundDesign has this on Amazon for $6,293.70:

2 Klipsch RF-7II Cherry

1 Klipsch RC-64II Cherry

4 Klipsch RS-62II

1 Klipsch SW-310 900 Watt Subwoofer

1 Denon AVR-X4000 IN-Command 7.2 Network Home Theater Receiver

Should I have any reservations with that package? I wonder about the SW-310 mostly, should I see if they'd swap it out for SW-115 or something different (recommendations please). Also I don't have any experience with denon receivers to this point.

I wonder about the SW-310 mostly, should I see if they'd swap it out for SW-115 or something different (recommendations please).

Go as big as you can afford. :)

Going off of specs alone, that SW-310 (edit) costs almost as much as the 115, yet max output is 6 db lower, it doesn't reach down as low, and it weighs less than half as much.  Doesn't make a lot of sense to me.  

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

• Moderators
Should I have any reservations with that package? I wonder about the SW-310 mostly, should I see if they'd swap it out for SW-115 or something different (recommendations please).

That's an awesome system.  As mentioned, give Mike a call.  You might find that the 2k difference just got less.

I started my audio journey with a Velodyne CT-100 (10" with 100 watt amp).  Then moved up to a Velodyne F-1500 (15" with 250 watt amp), then to a Velodyne HGS15 (15" with 1250 RMS / 3000 Peak), then I added a second Velodyne HGS15.

Later I picked up a Klipsch RSW-15 (15" Active, 15" Passive with 650 watt RMS / 2400 Peak amp) and found that it performed as well as my Dual Velodyne HGS15's. 

klipsch-dual-rsw-15-3.JPG

As you can see, once I went to a 15", I never had a desire to own anything smaller.  I'm 80% Movies / 20% Music.

I even did a comparison with Dual RT-10d vs a Single RSW-15 and the RSW-15 won.  I enjoyed the RSW-15 so much, I bought a second one just for fun.  :D

• Like 2

2 Klipsch RF-7II Cherry

1 Klipsch RC-64II Cherry

4 Klipsch RS-62II

Where are you located?  I have this exact same system in black, powered by a Marantz SR-7009 plus two of the 115's sitting in my theater room.  I rocked out HARD last night.  I don't say that lightly either. :)  If you're wondering if that's the way to go, you're welcome to come take it for a test drive and see how big it is in-room.  I'm in western Kentucky.  

As you can see, once I went to a 15", I never had a desire to own anything smaller.  I'm 80% Movies / 20% Music.

I even did a comparison with Dual RT-10d vs a Single RSW-15 and the RSW-15 won.  I enjoyed the RSW-15 so much, I bought a second one just for fun.  :D

Smaller drivers typically just can't hang.  Even if the output was similar, the bottom end on larger drivers is typically way beyond what something like 10's can do.  I'd even like to see some consumer friendly 18's but that might be pushing it.  15's are probably a good compromise for all-in-one systems.  

I'd say it depends on how loud your gonna listen. Are you doing a tv? Or a projector? False wall? I would do three towers any day of the week over a canter channel. I'd even do three 82's across the front over rf-7ii and rc-64ii. System will be more seamless and leave you more money for other stuff in the setup. Like bigger badder subs. If you gotta stay klipsch I would only go with the new reference 15. Mid you can wrap your head around there are better subs out there then look at Svs, psa, hsu. Or diy is a great route and will get you the most for your money and diy is relatively easy these days with flat packs you only assemble and paint.

I'd even do three 82's across the front over rf-7ii and rc-64ii.

Unfortunately this is true, however goofy it would look.  The RC-64ii does not offer the same seamless sound as my three KL-650's.  I gained a ton of growly midbass but that seamless wall of sound just isn't there anymore.  It kind of is but it's different.  Now the sound is like, I have a left, center, and right channel, and I feel I can hear them independently even if all are firing.  When all three were identical, the sound could move around seamlessly, if that makes any sense.  Guitar solos that were sent to the center plus right channels appeared to come out of the wall halfway between the two, and I don't have that effect anymore.  I think the tone on the center is different as well, I think it is brighter.  Cymbals and hi-hats are higher in pitch than the RF-7ii's.  I'm not sure if that is done on purpose or if that's the best that could be gotten given the layout or if my mind is playing tricks on me, or what.  

That being said, having three towers is still so goofy looking that most people with a TV wouldn't want to do it.  If I get an AT screen I may try to run three RF-7ii's because of this, but then you've got issues with it sticking out from the wall so much.  At least with theater style speakers you can usually have them fairly flat up against the wall.  

If an AT screen were considered, then the look and finish of the speaker may no longer matter much.

Just for fun, is a 3x KPT-904 system less expensive than a 3x RF7ii or (2x RF7ii + RC64ii)?  Might be something to consider anyway.

Behind an AT screen, 3 used La Scala are certain to be cheaper, although cheaper may not be the goal here.  (Might offset the added cost of an AT screen though)

If an AT screen were considered, then the look and finish of the speaker may no longer matter much.

Just for fun, is a 3x KPT-904 system less expensive than a 3x RF7ii or (2x RF7ii + RC64ii)? Might be something to consider anyway.

Behind an AT screen, 3 used La Scala are certain to be cheaper, although cheaper may not be the goal here. (Might offset the added cost of an AT screen though)

less expensive than sticker price yes. Available price from acoustic sound design no. However three kpt-325 with just one less woofer but same amazing high end can be had for right at about the same. And as front ported and only 12 inches deep they are probably on of the best speakers you could buy for a home theater is space and budget were issues. That's the way I was gonna go has I not stumbled upon my set used.
  • Like 1