Belles and fried K33 why ?

You can use the Belles and La Scalas together, but you'll likely need another amp. The K-33 is a 4 ohm driver. Putting it in a basshorn raises the effective impedance to between 6 and 8 ohms. However, below the cut-off frequency of the bass horn, it is effectively 4 ohms again, Two in parallel presents a 2 ohm load to a single amp from 60 Hz, or so and below.

John

First thing i did when i got in the rental car in Dallas yesterday was to set the tone controls to flat.

And then "Back in Black" by AC/DC came on; not my normal fare but it sounded cool in the Mercury Grand Marquis.

"Tone" sounds like a friendly term. It should be called "psycotic gain and distortion enhancer".

There should be a nastier word for "klipping" as well; kind of an audio train wreck waiting to happen.

Ray C.,

If you really have to be louder than the Belles(maybe poor for your hearing in the long term); an industrial model of speaker may be better or your needs.

I have been there, doing sound for rock bands 20 years ago. I have adjusted my style to listen for fine details at moderate levels.

Good Luck,

Rick

Yep I know what you mean and I do love music at lower levels its mostly when I listen to HT that I want to crank it up and the scotch in massive amounts dont help either.

once I get my Belles Fixed I will try to refrain to maybe 60% of tone 10% past the half way point which is flat and then maybe try hooking up the Belles and the KLFS together in Parallel with another amp when I really want to get crazy.

cwm32.gif

------------------

Current System

Panasonic TH-50PHD3U plasma tv

B&K REF 3220

B&R ST 1400II

Adcom GTP830

JVC XV-SA600BK

Klipsch Belles

Klipsch KLFC7

Klipsch RB5

Velodyne HGS12

also I would appreciate any ideas on how to clean up my mess of cables that I have.

here is a pic of the rack and the center stuff

------------------

Current System

Panasonic TH-50PHD3U plasma tv

B&K REF 3220

B&R ST 1400II

Adcom GTP830

JVC XV-SA600BK

Klipsch Belles

Klipsch KLFC7

Klipsch RB5

Velodyne HGS12

RC,

Condolences on the demise of your woofers. Every audiophools mightmare!

Just so you don't feel so all alone, I normally run the bass tone control on my trusty old Sony ES i.a. at about 3db gain. I'd rather not, but in my room, my k-horns just need a little boost in the lower range to keep the mids from sticking out. I guess what I really need is a midrange tone control that I could turn down.

But really - up, down - it's all relative. I think you could crank that bass all the way up without a problem, IF you go real easy on the volume. Which apparently you didn't. I think alcohol raises our tolerance to high spl's, another factor to consider when crankin' it.

As to your wire problem, there's a number of possible solutions. You could get some of those cable wrap tubes at Radio Shack to keep the wires together, and then use some hold-downs to , uh, "hold-them-down" snug to the wall. Even a short section of one-inch conduit running vertically behind the speaker could really clean things up. 'Course the slickest way is to either run the wires behind the existing wall (pain in the keester!), or use furring strips or 2x studs covered in sheetrock, masonite or whatever to make a false wall just in front of the real one that you could then stuff the wires into.

------------------

JDM

Re: Wires

I am a computer tech and I generally find that where circumstances dictate that wiring will be visible binding them together into a neat bundle helps -as per the suggestion above.

You could use cable ties or simple twist ties to tame the tangles.

Re: getting your wires out of a tangled mass.

First, take "like connections" and ensure they are separated from the "not-like connections"...IOW, don't have power cables running adjacent to speaker wire or interconnects...etc.

Then take some good ole zip-ties and go to work...don't make those zip-ties TOO TIGHT on what you bundle together, though! Zip-ties have to be about the handiest little invention to hit the consumer since WD-40 and duct tape were invented!! Smile.gif

------------------

I can now receive private messages

I use a DBX BX-1 Power Amplifier rated at 400 watts per channel to drive my Belle's, however my tone controls are set flat. The amp runs Class A up to about 30-40 watts or so, I have run it at extreme levels (in excess of 120db) from time to time even with my 5BX-DS 5 Band Range Expander, 120X-DS Subharmonic Synthesizer and 14/10 Eq all running in the chain and never had a problem. Clean undistorted and un-clipped power will make a difference. The amplifier's power supply has to be able to keep up with the demands that are placed on it. Having the Bass set at max will significantly increase the load placed on the amplifier and the speaker. Having the subwoofers certainly will make a difference.

------------------

Living Room

Sony KP-43T70 43" Television

Denon AVR 3300 A/V Receiver (105W X 3)(Heresy II's (Walnut) (Add Mains) (a/d/s L300E hooked in series (Add Center)

DBX BX-3MkII Power Amplifier (200W X 4) LWE-I w/Motion Feedback (Walnut) (Rears) & Infinity SM-82 (Walnut) (Side Surrounds)

DBX BX-1 Power Amplifier (400W X 2 (Belle's - Oak Clear/Cane)(Mains)

DBX MPA-150 Split Spectrum Mono-Block Amplifier (175 X 1) KV-4 (Center) (Black)

Klipsch KSW-15 Powered Subwoofer (2)

Nakamichi DVD-10 DVD/LCD/CD Player

DBX DX-5 CD Player w/DAIR

JVC HR-S7500U SVHS Video Cassette Recorder

RCA DRD-485RG Digital Satellite Receiver

DBX TX-1 AM/FM Stereo Tuner w/Shotz NR

DBX 400XG Program Route Selector

DBX 120X-DS Subharmonic Synthesizer/Electronic Crossover

DBX 5BX-DS 5-Band Computer-Controlled Dynamic Range Controller

DBX 14/10 14-Band Computerized Equalizer/RTA Analyzer/SPL Meter

Panamax 1000+ Surge Protector/Line Conditioner

Sega Dreamcast w/3 Controllers & VMU's/S-Video Output

Bedroom

Yamaha RX-900U Receiver (85W X 3)

Panasonic DVD-A120U DVD Player

Sony SLV-740HF Hi-Fi VCR

Technics SL-DL5 DD Linear Tracking Turntable

DBX DX-5 CD Player w/DAIR

Pioneer CT-S88R Auto-Reverse Programable Cassette Deck

DBX 200XG Program Route Selector

DBX SNR-1 Single Ended Noise Reduction Unit

DBX 3BX-DS 3-Band Dynamic Range Controller

DBX 2015G 15 Band Per Channel Equalizer

JBL T545 Loudspeakers (Mains)

Cerwin Vega CS-9 (Center)

Audiosource SW 6.5" Subwoofer

Panasonic 20" Stereo Television

quote:

Originally posted by RayCanales:

...I didnt know whether to stop drinking my scotch or pour another even stronger one.
cwm33.gif
..... I dont want this to happen again

cwm45.gif

Next Time...Just remember...Turn UP Scotch...Turn Down Volume...sit closer. Can be just as loud!cwm16.gif

Wes

------------------

KLIPSCH IS MUSICf>

My Systems f>s>c>

This message has been edited by ShapeShifter on 08-04-2002 at 11:16 PM