A low watt low noise digital amp for big horns, suggestions?

JL Sargent

I have a pair of those round Jabo horns with JBL 2441 2" drivers that I'm using in a two way active setup in my basement. This horn/driver combination is so revealing that I want to try a quieter amp (been using various tube amps mostly)  with these horns. Maybe a digital offering like a T amp or that Emotiva mini, etc. Wattage doesn't have to be a whole lot either. I suspect 20w per channel a plenty. The main concern is keeping the noise as low as possible. For example: 10% THD at rated output not ok. Any thoughts appreciated.

I have been very pleased with the sound of the B&O Ice Power amps. It is what is in my Pioneer SC-1222K and Teac AH-01 units and sounds great with horns. It is what caused me to sell off my tube amps.

Hypex based amps also have a really good rep. though I have not been able to get my hands on one yet. NAD is using it it in some of their new amps.

Edited by tromprof
  • Like 1

Thanks for the loan offer Quiet Hollow. Not really looking to go receiver on this though. Just a smaller sized two channel amp

Tromprof: That Teac AH-01 is a very interesting unit for another application and would make an awesome computer DAC/amp. Especially if you take advantage of the sub out feature. How are you using it?

As you know Carl, I'm really not a "critical" listener, but these horns are so revealing that I'm gonna try something different than tubes.

The "human horn driver" above has found a neat answer to computer based sound systems. That is a really versatile unit.

Tasdom, is the mini on sale right now?

Looks like $30.00 off.

I thought there was one for sale in the Garage sale section but not sure.

Correct, plus you can get an additional 10% off of that if you join e club for 49.00

Wouldn't be worth joining for this but if any future purchases it might be

I made a deal with Mrtie for his Emotiva mini X that's listed in the garage sale section. Looks like a well made little amp and people seem to really like them.

Let us know how it works out for you... I might go that route for my surrounds, and Atmos channels.