CornScala crossover selection question

Karsoncookie

Hi all!!  New here but have been reading alot.

Need advice on choosing crossover .

Want to build CornScala C with Crites plan drivers and cabinet.

My objective is to replace the LaScalas I owned years ago  when I thought I could afford them.

What I liked about them was the high end "brightness" "sparkliness" or "sharpness"

Never felt they were lacking bass, but don't want to fool around replicating the mitres.

So, it seems a CornScala "C" I understand will make me happy.

Question is--Do I need to include Bob's crossovers at like $300/ pair, OR can I get buy with less$ and get like appropriate ?Eminence? crossovers??(Like $200 less/ the pair)

Then I'm still thinking...  If I don't go with Bob's (which consider the cab desingn, I guess-not only the individual driver spec's,) I will always wonder if I shot myself in the foot saving money (NOTICABLY hearingly). But that is only MY subjective problem.

I realize responses May be affected by allegiance to Bob, and I respect his work.I just have to limit my $ spending if not needed.

I'm hoping on "Just the facts, Maa'm"

Hope I don't open a can of worms. My total respect to Mr. Crites work.

Please understand I am in the "12 Ga zip cord" school of thought, as opposed to the 2k speaker wire folks.   Thank you, Karson

Hi all!! 

Question is--Do I need to include Bob's crossovers at like $300/ pair, OR can I get buy with less$ and get like appropriate ?Eminence? crossovers??(Like $200 less/ the pair)

I'm hoping on "Just the facts, Maa'm"

Thank you, Karson

You want some opinions... here is one.

Do you need to include $300 for crossovers from bob or can you get away with less? I am here to say to you spend MORE, not less. Budget another 600$-900$ for a pair of quality goods.

I dig my loyal fan base. :)

I was going to say that if that if all his budget can handle, then go with Bob's networks -- at least they'll be right for the drivers and horn he's running -- he can always upgrade later.

What I would like to see is an attempt by folks to find out what the real goals are for the system before making a recommendation. For sure though, the OP would probably wet himself with some Jensens or Jupiters in the networks.

I will agree with Schu. Having owned the cornscala C, I would opt for Dean or ALK xovers and opt for the delete on Bob's. As much as I like and respect Bob, I never could get the speakers to sound right til I bought Al's crossvers. Huge improvement to these ears.

Shakey

I've been happy with the sound of my LaScalas and Khorns with Type A crossovers. Would imagine that the Cornscalas would sound good with something similar. 

Knowing that you enjoyed the high end of your previously owned LaScalas, think you will enjoy the cornscalas. 

Edited by Daddy Dee

This may or may not help but here is my crossover comparison that I wrote a while back.

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/146678-crossover-network-comparison/

I encourage you to read as much as you can and then talk to Dean.  All these guys are very helpful!  

If you need something to get by for a while I might have a set of stock B networks with Sonicaps or a set of early ALK B series networks available perhaps.  Both crossover at 600 and are not adjustable.  I don't know for sure how they would match up with the drivers Bob uses.

I'm obviously no expert, but I do have opinions! :ph34r:

In a speaker set up like the cornscalas it is my personal belief that the most critical component is the crossovers. Assuming your enclosure and chosen drivers make sense, (Bob has shown you the way here) its the crossover that will make or break the outcome.

You can cut corners like using mdf vs quality plywood, or fiberglass horns vs custom wood units, but if you go cheap on the crossover you'll regret it every time you listen to the speakers. I especially wouldn't use a crossover designed for a totally different setup just to save a hundred bucks.

• Like 1

First,  Thank all you guys very much for your guidance.

If I used Crites crossovers at least then, or possibly upgrade from those- I've wondering would it also make sense to get better speaker wires?  They would be about 10 feet from the amp.

Don't want to spend the cash on crossovers then create a weak link in the chain.

Thank you all again,  Karson

No... Getting your room setup right should be high on your list.  A lot of people (including me) try to skip this because it isn't as exciting as new equipment.  It can also be work.  Sometimes your flexibility for what you can do in a room is limited because the room has other uses.  Even so, I highly suggest Jim Smith http://getbettersound.com/index.php.  Besides being a good guy he gives a lot of great information that will help you improve your enjoyment of the music!   

• Like 2

No... Getting your room setup right should be high on your list.  A lot of people (including me) try to skip this because it isn't as exciting as new equipment.  It can also be work.  Sometimes your flexibility for what you can do in a room is limited because the room has other uses.  Even so, I highly suggest Jim Smith http://getbettersound.com/index.php.  Besides being a good guy he gives a lot of great information that will help you improve your enjoyment of the music!   

Good advice here.

Shakey

• Like 1

Karson, it would be a good idea and no doubt interesting to contact the crossover guys mentioned in this thread. Bob, Dennis, Dean and Al could give you more insight into what would work for your Cornscala's and I'd imagine give you a nice spread of costs and up grade paths.

Karson, I installed the AlK Eng CSW (CornScala-Wall) networks in my Khorns recently and love them.  With them I was able to change the attenuation of the new tweeters (DE10 set to -4) and Dave's Frastrac horns (k55v driver to -7) so that the overall sound was set to my liking in the fairly small room that they must be in.   Sure, I could have spent more money, but this turned out to be excellent on my smaller budget.  Also upgraded all the wiring to Monster XPHP-CI..... Not positive that the wiring made any difference, but I sure believe it did.