Do klipsch speakers have thier own unique sound?

m00n

I have noticed something about these speakers, but I have nothing to compair them to so I don't know if it's Klipsch or all speakers.... But take the movie Titan AE for example, when the space ships fly by, they have this..... well, almost whistle whine kind of sound. Is that because they have horns rather than tweaters? Don't get me wrong, I don't have a problem with that sound, actually it sounds kind of cool, I was just wondering is all.

------------------

m00nsCinema to be

the m00n system

FRONTS: RF-7

CENTER: RC-7

SURROUNDS: RS-7

SUB: RSW-12

RECEIVER: Harman Kardon AVR 520

DVD: Toshiba SD 3205 (DD, DTS)

TV: Samsung 27" Flatscreen

COMPUTER: ProMedia 4.1

c>Microsoft XBOXc>

f>

horns instead of tweeters? Smile.gif no. they have tweeters.

they are horn LOADED tweeters, as opposed to silk dome type tweeters or ribbon tweeters.

that is what is called Klipsch Sound. Sound that is a little 'bright' where the tink tankering of ice on a tin roof is reproduced so well that you think it is really happening Smile.gif

------------------

-justin

SoundWise

promediatech@Klipsch.com /1-888-554-5665 - RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

s>

Justin.

Hey thanks for clearing that up about the horns/tweater issue. Didn't know that.

------------------

m00nsCinema to be

the m00n system

c>Microsoft XBOXc>

f>

So Justin corrected me on the horn/tweater issue, but I am still curious to know if Klipsch have thier own unique sound? Do other speakers have the same sound as I tried to describe but most likely failed to do.cwm12.gif

------------------

m00nsCinema to be

the m00n system

c>Microsoft XBOXc>

f>

Most people I have talked to believe that Klipsch has a more harsh sound than others like B&W, etc. They thought you either liked the Klipsch sound or hated it... there was little in between. Most like it though since it is a good sound for movies and rock music.

ATTENUATION of one's ears to EXPECT music to sound a certain way is the best explanation for different attitudes towards horn-loaded speakers. Once the brain is conditioned to an expected response, it tends to look unfavorably on something different from its expectations. If one tends to expect music REPRODUCTION to parallel a live performance of UNAMPLIFIED sound sources(ie., a live symphony), then one is very likely to love horn-loading, but if those original "live" sources one hears are reproduced through amplification on the stage, and that amplification is pushed through CONES instead of HORNS, then one tends to look unfavorably on horn-loaded speakers...pretty simple.

On the other hand, it is also based on what the listener is used to in his/her home system...the brain doesn't always have a favorable response to clear detail that horns reproduce from instruments, and that will often lead the listener to say that horn-loading is "too bright", when it is actually because of the listener's pre-conceived notions of what the music SHOULD sound like!!

------------------

I can now receive private messages

This message has been edited by HDBRbuilder on 07-30-2002 at 09:36 PM

I like the horn sound for the elctronic music I listen to, those bleeps and beeps sound MUCH crisper with horns. Also, they are more exciting to listen to, more dynamic.

If they are two bright, just stuff some foan imto the horn cavity Smile.gif

------------------

Receiver: Sony STR-DE675

CD player: Sony CDP-CX300

Turntable: Technics SL-J3 with Audio-Technica TR485U

Speakers: JBL HLS-610

Subwoofer: JBL 4648A-8

Sub amp: Parts Express 180 watt

Center/surrounds: Teac 3-way bookshelfs

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

'the klipsch sound'

i had always liked klipsch for rock,and i like to listen loud. the one thing i didn't like was the perceived 'harshness' of the screaming mids,especially at high volume. i had sold klipsch along w/other brands, and actually prefered definitive tech. bi-polar towers...UNTIL: a friend needed a place to keep his klf-30's for about a month, so i volunteered to keep them at my place..SOLD!!! w/the bass management in digital surround receivers(especially like mine that allows 40Hz x-over to powered sub independently for l,r front, ctr, surr). for me, the solution to 'tame' the blaring mids was to put them in a decent room, and bump the bass about +3.5dB, mids set wide at 0dB, and treble +1.5dB. this,in effect,reduced the midrange and..AAHHHHH!! KLIPSCH HEAVEN!!

wouldn't think of having anything but klipsch..EVER..

avman.

------------------

1-pair klf 30's

c-7 center (looking for 1-m.o.klf-20)

ksps-6 surrounds

RSW-15

sony strda-777ES receiver upgraded to v.2.02 including virtual matrix 6.1

sony playstation 2

sony dvpnc 650-v 5-disc dvd/cd/SACD changer

dishnetwork model 6000 HD sat rcvr w/digital off-air tuner

jvc s-vhs-et hi-fi stereo vcr

sony kv36xbr450 high-definition 4:3 tv

sharp xv-z1u lcd projector w/84" 4:3 sharp screen

Bello'international Italian-made a/v furniture

panamax max dbs+5 surge protector/power conditioner

monster cable and nxg interconnects/12 gua.speaker wire

Natuzzi red leather furniture set

KLIPSCH-So Good It Hz!

Another thing to note about Klipsch or other horn loaded loudspeakers,

Horns are designed to focus sound in a particular dispersion pattern whereas cones tend to radiate in a 360' pattern.

The result of horn loading is that more sonic information is being relayed directly to the listener without as many room interactions.

A.K.A "The Harshness" or "Brightness"

Also, the difference in sound is between the time you hear the direct sound, and the time you hear the 1st and 3rd order reflections.

It varies between a cone and a horn.

The result is a brighter sound from the horn.

I like to think of it as "accurate" sound.

I took me sometime to get used to, but now i'm hooked and nothing else sounds as good as a high frequency horn.

------------------

You should of heard just what I've seen.

All their lives people listen to direct-radiators through a haze of distortion; TVs, car radios, table radios. So what they want in improved sound is something that sounds like a TV but better. Horns are so clear and low in distortion that they are unsettling to some people, they destroy the references they have in place as to what good reproduction of sound is supposed to sound like. So when hearing a horn the unaccustomed clarity is interpreted as harshness.

www.chicagohornspeakerclub.org

I have been blessed as a boy many years ago(20+) to hear real guitars played by good players in family rooms and garages for perhaps 2000 to 3000 hours or more from the age of 15-22.

unamplified...

Martin

Guild

Gibson

amplified...

1950s Les Paul through Music Man

Stratocaster through Marshall

1970s Les Paul through Fender Twin Reverb

Thes are some I remember most impressive.

Horns make recorded guitars more real for me.

Narada is a small CD music company that has several guitar samplers of flamenco type music that are highly recommended. It aint rock and roll but it is great playing.

Stay Horny...

Tom, I think you said it, but I have some more to add.

IT TAKES EFFORT TO LISTEN TO HORNS!!!

Before you tell to to go away, think of this:

Take the average Jane or Joe who drives a 5 year old Ford sedan. Yes, they can drive, but its a pretty lazy experience. At a stoplight, VROOOOMMMM!!! Along comes the Porsche 911 GT2, with a small cabin and 6-speed.

The person in the Ford, says, "I wouldn't want to drive that, it would be a chore, haveing to row my gears and all."

The guy in the Porsche, says. "Man, that dude in the Ford is a LoZZer~~~!!! Only if he knew how much fun this car is!!!"

The light turns green and the guy in the Porsche drops the clutch in second and peels away at 6000 RPM's.

Well, unless you are daft, the Porsche is a real horn-loaded speaker system. It takes a little work, but once you are on board, you see the truth. If you like listening to music/movies, you probably won't mind a horn screaming at you and making you jump. If you are lazy about sound, the TV speaker will filter out all volume and dynamics for you.

I like cars, and don't mind having to work driving one that is above the rest, because I know how FUN it can be.

I like horns, and don't mind having a more involved listening experience, because I know how FUN it can be.

------------------

Yes, it sucks, but better to come. KLIPSCH soon! My computer is better than my stereo!

Smile.gif

It's lake and I am going Kraz-e

------------------

"but if those original "live" sources one hears are reproduced through amplification on the stage, and that amplification is pushed through CONES instead of HORNS, then one tends to look unfavorably on horn-loaded speakers...pretty simple."

I feel the opposite: after hundreds of live concerts, no speaker reproduces that sound better than horns do. I wasted entirely too much time trying to find "consumer available" speakers other than Klipsch to handle my extensive live concert collection. It was a waste of time.

KRB has hit on an idea too - horns are more involving - they demand to be listened to. I know this from experience. If all I wanted was background music, many speakers would fit the bill. For listening, it's horns or bust - the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.

'that live concert sound' hmmm..

THAT is EXACTLY what i lovecwm38.gifabout klipsch!!

i like classic rock, and NO OTHER SPEAKER comes close to klipsch!! also, most concerts i've heard had horn-based speakers, at least most of'em. avman.

------------------

1-pair klf 30's

c-7 center (looking for 1-m.o.klf-20)

ksps-6 surrounds

RSW-15

sony strda-777ES receiver upgraded to v.2.02 including virtual matrix 6.1

sony playstation 2

sony dvpnc 650-v 5-disc dvd/cd/SACD changer

dishnetwork model 6000 HD sat rcvr w/digital off-air tuner

jvc s-vhs-et hi-fi stereo vcr

sony kv36xbr450 high-definition 4:3 tv

sharp xv-z1u lcd projector w/84" 4:3 sharp screen

Bello'international Italian-made a/v furniture

panamax max dbs+5 surge protector/power conditioner

monster cable and nxg interconnects/12 gua.speaker wire

Natuzzi red leather furniture set

KLIPSCH-So Good It Hz!

Big JBL stuff gets my going Smile.gif

A horn the size of a double garage door, yeah!

------------------

Kenratboy says:

The guy in the Porsche, says. "Man, that dude in the Ford is a LoZZer~~~!!! Only if he knew how much fun this car is!!!"

Unless that Ford is something like my dad's Mustang GT Convertible Smile.gif. That is a fun car to drive!

But anyway, interesting that I get a more "Live" sound out of my Klipsch than the so called "Direct/Reflecting" Bose speakers that claim to sound just like a live concert.

------------------

Steven Konopa

Fredericksburg, VA

Denon AVR3802 (Receiver)

RF-7 (Fronts)

RC-7 (Center)

RC-7 (Rear)

RS-7 (A Surrounds)

Infinity RS2000.5 (B Surrounds - recycled)

REL Storm III (Subwoofer 1)

Yamaha YST-SW40 (Subwoofer 2 - Recycled)

JVC XV-S65GD (DVD)

Sharp DX-200 (CD - ancient)

RCA DWD490RE (DirecTV/Ultimate TV receiver)

Sharp 32 inch (TV)