effect that curtains has on bass?

Paducah Home Theater

I'm about to get some very thick commercial theater style curtains to go on my side walls, I'm just wondering what should I expect to happen with bass response once they're installed. This is a fairly large area and I don't see too many people doing this, it's basically a double window but I'm wanting to make the other side symmetrical.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

It will cut treble, but wouldn't that be a good thing, since the treble being cut are reflections? Multiple subs distributed in the room would even out the room modes for low frequencies, and drapes, carpet and acoustic tiles to reduce modes in the mid to high frequencies.

I'm about to get some very thick commercial theater style curtains to go on my side walls, I'm just wondering what should I expect to happen with bass response once they're installed.

http://www.acousticalsurfaces.com/acoustic_IOI/101_13.htm

The bigger the numbers, the more absorption (see link above). 

Basically, you should expect the room to become more bass heavy since the higher frequencies will be disproportionately absorbed.

With the curtains, if you add corner bass traps (of the "super thick" variety, i.e., two 2" Owens-Corning 703 panels together in one bag) across two of the room's corners touching either the ceiling or floor--assuming that you don't already have them in the corners--it will likely balance the room absorption to be relatively constant down to about 100 Hz.

Edited by Chris A
  • Like 1