Woofer for Cornwall III

galac

Hi @ll,

I have a Heresy III for about three years and despite the lows I'm quite satisfied. Some days ago I'm able to buy empty CW III enclosures & crossovers. The idea is to use the HT/MT-Section from my Heresys and put them into the cornwall enclosure as they are identical.

So I'm looking for some woofers which are close to the original K-33E. After some search I found two woofers which are mentioned in forum posts: CW1526C from Crites and Kappa 15C from Eminence (which is much cheaper due to shipping to germany).

The enclosures shows a port area of about 300cm^2 and a length of 18cm which is a tuning frequency of about 40Hz. This matches to an impendance measurement of a CW III. I modeled the woofers with WinISD (enclosure of 170 ltr.) and used a K-33E as reference. This leads me to a couple of questions and hopefully someone can help me out:

1. Is the nowadays K-33E (CW III, La Scala II) quite the same as the former K-33E?
2. The response of the Kappa 15C looks like an EBS-Alignment. Isn't this quite handy or preferable for a placement in the corners or near the walls which is needed in my room?
3. The Xmax of the Kappa 15C is only 2,4mm and the excursion will reach the (linear) limits with 4W at 25Hz or 10W at 30Hz. Should I be scared about this issue?
4. Does someone have experience how the CW1526C compares to a newer K-33E out of a CW III or LS II?

I appreciate every help or corrections to my findings

Drivers in the graph: K-33E (blue), CW1526 (grey), Kappa 15C (yellow)

thanks in advance!
galac

post-59342-0-72860000-1415742996_thumb.j

post-59342-0-05900000-1415743005_thumb.j

post-59342-0-51260000-1415743014_thumb.j

• 2 weeks later...

I don't have any experience with the stock K33E, Kappa 15C or CW1526C, so I can not give you a comparison, but I do have a CWIII with a CW1526 in it that I enjoy and what little testing I have done on the set up seem to support the CW1526 being a good fit as well. I should note that I didn't really put too much thought into this selection though... I just happen to have one lying around?

I thought the Cornwall used a different midrange than the Heresy.

Are they in fact the same?

The older versions were different but the "III" series (Heresy & Cornwall) use the exact same mid and tweeter.

because they lost the mold to make the K-600 so they had to start using the K-700

Coytee, you gotta keep up :D

Edited by Budman

Meanwhile I've bought the Kappa's. They fit perfectly (as the MT/HT from the Heresy's). I didn't have the time to make a measurement of the Kappa's in the CW III enclosure by now but I'll do so soon and keep you informed.

The limited Xmax seems to be no issue if you live in a apartment like me. Even at high (bass) levels there is almost no movement of the woofer. Home Theater may be different but I use my speakers only for music.