Disappointed with my RF-7s....

mattSER

Onkyo is fine with most speakers but not 7's. Not slamming the Onkyo, it's nice, but not for pre either cause that's where you get the sound.

Well,in my setup, my Onkyo beast (NR5010) drives RF7-II's and this sound spectacular good. No harshness and certainly no listening fatigue.

So either this is only valid for the RF7 "first generation" or perhaps some very low-end Onkyo ?

I wouldn't consider my 3008 a low-end Onkyo, but based on Youthman's comparisons, I would say the RF-7ii's don't seem to have the harshness problem of the originals.

Onkyo is fine with most speakers but not 7's. Not slamming the Onkyo, it's nice, but not for pre either cause that's where you get the sound.

Well,in my setup, my Onkyo beast (NR5010) drives RF7-II's and this sound spectacular good. No harshness and certainly no listening fatigue.

So either this is only valid for the RF7 "first generation" or perhaps some very low-end Onkyo ?

I wouldn't consider my 3008 a low-end Onkyo, but based on Youthman's comparisons, I would say the RF-7ii's don't seem to have the harshness problem of the originals.
Indeed your 3008 is a pretty capable device as well !

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Nexus 7 met Tapatalk

Theses things are all subjective perspective.... I went to buy II's when they first hit the market. I had several issues with them after an audition and just kept my original 7s.

That pic of your  set up of speakers that way is something from Spinal Tap, seriously your not serious whether you know it or not.  Cheers

I do see what you mean. Like when I read that someone went to best buy and heard synergy speakers or something like that. And then tell one person after another that klipsch speakers sounds like crap. It bugs the hell out of me. But thats really on klipsch. They put out these cheap lines for everyone to hear and demo in stores. While they leave all the really good speakers hidden. With just pictures for all us to just look at. I know some places here and there have them. But the cheaper line speakers have become the face of the klipsch brand. And I don't know why but it bugs me.

I should care less being that it affects me in no way. But maybe its because when you love something you hate to see its name tarnished. And the lowest level speakers should not be the face of klipsch. Get the good stuff in stores! :).....Please. 

Edited by Pro-Cinema_Head
  • Like 1

• Moderators
I know I should care less being that it affects me in no way. But maybe its because when you love something you hate to see its name tarnished. And the lowest level speakers should not be the face of klipsch. Get the good stuff in stores! :)

I agree.  I would love to see the higher end gear being sold in stores but reality is the vast majority of people will not pay what we are willing to pay for audio gear.  Most of the people I know what what I have on a $300 budget.

Like when I read that someone went to best buy and heard synergy speakers or something like that. And then tell one person after another that klipsch speakers sounds like crap. It bugs the hell out of me. But thats really on klipsch.

I am with you on this one.  The acoustic at the BB stores is horrible to demo any speaker.  The large room dominates what you hear.  Youthman is also right in that most people don't share our audio passion.  I know people whith luxury cars and a $300 speaker set in a nice home theater.  I was at a gents house where he had a movie screen, seats on riser and Boses 301's sitting on the floor and a soundbar with an 8 in. sub. I guess it comes down to priorities.

Edited by derrickdj1

Just thought I'd share my unprofessional experience. I too have RF-7s and had been on a journey to find an amplifier to drive them without the harsh horn issue. My onkyo tx-nr809 worked great for my rf-82ii, rc35, rb-35, dual rw12d home theater. I decided to get an emotiva xpa2 to beef up my mains a bit with great results, and realized I listened to music more than movies, so I sold all my speakers and my xpa2, and got some rf7s and a pair of heresies. Both sets of speakers sounded horrible with the onkyo 809. I them purchased emotiva xpa 100 monoblocks thinking it would help. The heresies sounded worse and the RF-7s sounded much better. I decided the 7s were better suited for my taste, so I sols the heresies. I then just this past weekend traded my xpa 100s for a 70s onkyo TX 8500, and my turntable coupled with it and my rf7s is the absolute sweet spot I was looking for. Sometimes it takes a journey to get where you're going. This is sadly a very small portion of my audio journey at age 30. The symptoms of this sickness have only subsided for a matter of time I'm thinking...

• Moderators

That pic of your set up of speakers that way is something from Spinal Tap, seriously your not serious whether you know it or not. Cheers

Aww, come on, man. That was just for the picture. The RF-7s have only ever played by themselves.

I don't see what the problem is.  I have mine setup like this and it sounds fantastic.

It's a new format called Dolby Almost  :P:lol:

Complete-Klipsch-RF-7-II-System-Sm.jpg

Guest David H

mattSER.

Did you ever do the resistor mod?

After several years of coping with Johnny 5's RF-7s,  I did a version of Deans crossover rebuild with the resistor mod, and I can attest it is a better sounding speaker by far.

I would not own a pair of original RF-7s without it.

I also added the mastic to the backs of the tweeters, which certainly didn't hurt.

Dave

• Like 1