2.35:1 screens

Paducah Home Theater

Man what a beast of a setup!  Love it.  Nothing wrong with your subs unless you are referring to nicks in the cabinet.  Are the two outside ones DIY?

Thanks, yeah the black ones are DIY, two 18" UltiMax's.  The different cones and different shade of black as opposed to the towers bothers me more than anything.  The ones in the middle are KL-650-THX's making them the most expensive center channel stand of all time. :)  Been too lazy to order or make a proper one.  

As for the nicks, I used those type of machine screws that have the tap in washer with teeth that sink in to the wood, I don't know what they are called.  Anyway, I cross threaded one a little.  Tried to back it out but the teeth just bent and the washer started spinning.  So, I had this sub that was just stuck in there.  Had this genius idea that I'd just pry up one side then take a reciprocating saw and cut the bolt off.  It worked, but I stabbed the wood a little.  Some filler and paint should clean it up for the most part.  Those washers are really easy to cross thread for some reason and apparently other people have reported them spinning free.  Was pretty disappointed in them.  Ended up just using large screws.  

http://www.parts-express.com/parts-express-cast-frame-1-4-20-speaker-mounting-kit--260-778?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=pla

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

Only potential disappointment I have is that when running a calibration disc and they talk about the white areas that are brighter than "ideal white", I can't see them at all. You're basically supposed to set your black levels with brightness then adjust contrast by looking at a white image with squares/rectangles that are slightly darker and slightly brighter than what they call ideal white. All I can see are the darker ones, no matter what setting. I've maxed out and bottomed out brightness, contrast, tint, color, everything, nothing ever displays them. I don't know what to think about it. The disc acts like they should be seen, specifically saying you are experiencing "white clipping" if they're not visible. First thought was the screen but I still can't see them even when dulling everything out to darker colors, it's like the projector just ignores them and displays them the same as the normal white.

The good news is that black levels are most excellent, the screen can get really black and shadowy details are awesome. It looks pretty awful when the lights are on though. 3D is way fun on it.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters
  • Like 2

You're basically supposed to set your black levels with brightness then adjust contrast by looking at a white image with squares/rectangles that are slightly darker and slightly brighter than what they call ideal white. All I can see are the darker ones, no matter what setting.

I've had photography as a hobby for decades, have paid close attention to cinematography and brightness/contrast/acutance/resolution in commercial theaters, and I don't much like calibration disks.  I do better just adjusting the picture subjectively.  A few movies require individual settings, and, for those, I make sure I can lay my hands on the file that has my "standard" settings documented, then adjust the projector for these few unusual films to taste by hand.

Edited by Garyrc
  • Like 1

You're basically supposed to set your black levels with brightness then adjust contrast by looking at a white image with squares/rectangles that are slightly darker and slightly brighter than what they call ideal white. All I can see are the darker ones, no matter what setting.

I've had photography as a hobby for decades, have paid close attention to cinematography and brightness/contrast/acutance/resolution in commercial theaters, and I don't much like calibration disks.  I do better just adjusting the picture subjectively.  A few movies require individual settings, and, for those, I make sure I can lay my hands on the file that has my "standard" settings documented, then adjust the projector for these few unusual films to taste by hand.

I'll bet you could automate that... By having the file executed that would change your settings when a certain movie is selected.

2.35 has me spoiled already. The only way to fly. Guests seem to think its cool if I start a movie in 16:9 then when the actual movie starts switching to the 2.35 lens memory and watching the projected image grow.

I love that feature too... Never going back to a non auto zoom/focus setup again.

• Like 1

• Moderators
2.35 has me spoiled already. The only way to fly. Guests seem to think its cool if I start a movie in 16:9 then when the actual movie starts switching to the 2.35 lens memory and watching the projected image grow.

I get the same reaction even on my small 103" screen.  It's cool to see the image fill the entire portion of the screen automatically.  I agree....there's something unique about having a wider screen that what people typically get with their LCD TV's.