2.35:1 screens

Paducah Home Theater

Who has one anyway?  I'm about to make the plunge but I watched the making of "the purge" last night and got cold feet.  It kept switching back and forth between 16:9 and 2.35:1, over, and over. :)  Also noticed that while in 2.35:1 mode my PS4 displays the pause symbol below the picture, which would basically display on the screen frame. 

Of course when watching something stupid like that you can just park it on 16:9 via lens memory and have both side and top bars, but I'm wondering if overall it's a PITA as opposed to 16:9 and just leaving it alone.  My wife hates the height of it though so it's either a decent 2.35:1 or a pretty tiny 16:9. 

• Moderators
It kept switching back and forth between 16:9 and 2.35:1, over, and over.

The Dark Knight does that too.  It's dumb to me.  I would think that there are very small amount of movies that do this.

Also noticed that while in 2.35:1 mode my PS4 displays the pause symbol below the picture, which would basically display on the screen frame.

Many of your menus will be displayed in the "Grey Bar" which is below the bottom frame.  To me, that's not a big deal. If I can't see it, I can quickly switch using Lens Memory feature on the projector.

Again, everyone's setup is different and you have to decide what will work best for your room according to what you personally want to achieve.  For my room and setup, 2.35:1 is the best option.

• Like 1

2.35 is the way man. If you watch a lot of movies it's well worth it. Plus not sure why you would spend all that money on a jvc with lens memory option and not use it? As for the switching back and forth if watching special features just disable auto switching and watch that on 16x9.

• Like 1

We don't have cable so there is very little 16:9 content that we watch.  Video games on the PS3 are 16:9 but I don't play much so the majority of what we watch are 2.35:1. 

Yeah I don't have cable either, it's all movies.  Only thing that might be 16:9 regularly is Netflix but a smaller screen size for it probably wouldn't be a bad thing. 

What did suck though is that we watched Nightmare before Christmas in full screen, which I guess is 16:9, maybe even 4:3 now that I think about it, anyway it was friggin HUGE, really tall more than anything.  Here's a pic below, those lights are 7' tall and the top of the moon was nearly 8' tall.  Which maybe is fine, but the thing went all the way down to just above my subs.  Just way too much vertical eye movement.  2.35:1 is WAY more comfortable.  Popped in Transformers 4 after that and it was awesome. 

1452592_10152632704829401_63894686288653

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

Plus not sure why you would spend all that money on a jvc with lens memory option and not use it?

Of course I would, but when that material last night kept switching back and forth I wondered if it would be weird and cumbersome.

Plus not sure why you would spend all that money on a jvc with lens memory option and not use it?

Of course I would, but when that material last night kept switching back and forth I wondered if it would be weird and cumbersome.

i always watch the previews. and it gets a little annoying even then. but once the movie starts I'm golden. something like that dark knight where it switches in the movie, id turn it off and just watch 16x9. i don't like it going back and forth. plus that is just more unnecessary wear and tear on the projector. 

As a side note, it's strange yet encouraging to hear your wife and daughter come home from watching the last Hunger Games five minutes ago while saying that the movie theater sucks compared to our home theater, especially when I don't even have a screen at all yet. Apparently the subs are horrendous there. I wouldn't know.

• Like 1

The use of masking panels for those few films that have shifting aspect ratios (I'm looking at you the hunger games, the dark knight, dark knight rises, transformers 2) makes for a better viewing experience. I wouldn't go any other way than a 2.35:1 screen after owning one. You can always mask down to 1.85:1 and open up the ratio for the majority of your movie watching experience. 

post-52289-0-04600000-1417349610_thumb.j

post-52289-0-30640000-1417349691.jpg

• Like 3

I guess the realization I'm running in to is that if I get what's comfortable with 2.35:1, which is 110", if I go with the constant height approach and display a 16:9 on that 110" screen, my screen size is actually 84" at that point. Just seems like a waste. Not sure what to do but playing playstation games at this size just seems rather small, and this is going to happen quite a bit.

• Moderators
if I go with the constant height approach and display a 16:9 on that 110" screen, my screen size is actually 84" at that point. Just seems like a waste.

Just curious how many of your friends and relatives have an 84" TV.  Just saying.  :D

• Like 1

if I go with the constant height approach and display a 16:9 on that 110" screen, my screen size is actually 84" at that point. Just seems like a waste.

Just curious how many of your friends and relatives have an 84" TV.  Just saying.  :D

One of my best friends has two 80" ones, he paid $1,200 each for them. This is a $10,000 setup. :)

Just curious how many of your friends and relatives have an 84" TV. Just saying. :D
One of my best friends has two 80" ones, he paid $1,200 each for them. This is a $10,000 setup. :)
maybe if you feel that way you should step back and realize how much money your putting into it. My screen is 112" 16x9 and 138" 2.35. And not even close to 10 grand in it. Sometimes IMO you don't always get what you pay for. I'm really glad I got off the "I need to spend tons of money on my gear road". It's too slow of a road for me with my measly paychecks. And like I've said before I've yet to go to anyone's house or store and think their setup is better than mine.