Adcom equipment

cheric

Just a question on value...

Someone wants to sell to me four pieces of Adcom equipment. Except for one unit with a non-working tuner, everything else is in operational condition.  I don't know what to offer him, any ideas?

2x Adcom GTP-600 with remote controls (tuner on one unit is not working)

1x Adcom GFA-2535

1x Adcom GFA 5500

Any recommendation?

TIA

post-38109-0-57520000-1417531953_thumb.j

post-38109-0-26640000-1417531990_thumb.j

post-38109-0-17440000-1417532028_thumb.j

Edited by cheric

The 5500 is a great sounding amp, had one for awhile and moved up to the 5800. Very smooth Mosfet amps that match up with horns very well. I'd offer him $500 for the lot and go from there. Are you going to keep everything or sell some of it off?

jjptkd,

I have listened to both setup's , GTP600+GFA2535 60wpc and the GTP600+GFA5500 200wpc, and to be honest I like the sound of the 2535 better. I will probably keep everything for a few weeks first and go from there. I am looking to pay him a fair price. Don't want to give money away but don't want to cheat people either.

I looked on the Bay and their prices fluctuated wildly.

Edited by cheric

I've never heard the 2535 but just read up on it, guess its basically 2 535's in one case. I ran through all the 555's and ended up with the 5500 as being the clear winner (in my mind) although the bass on the MK II was notably better than all others. The Adcom preamplifiers were just horribly harsh to my ears and could not stand to listen to them for any length of time. I would think $500 to $650 would be "fair" for both parties, $650 being the "max" value for all items.

You certainly don't want to overpay for Adcom stuff. It's average sounding at best and doesn't command a high price.

Shakey

What is running your current setup?  Are you considering bi-amping?  Older equipment can be a bit of a problem to repair and lack some features that  newer gear may have.  Consider will it be a step up or lateral move.

This would be my first "official" separate setup. Had a few amps before but nothing worth mentioning. Currently using Marantz and HK receivers and some older HK (330c,430) for stereo.  More than likely I just use a single set up for stereo with a pair of Scala. No bi-amping or bi-wiring.

Edited by cheric

You certainly don't want to overpay for Adcom stuff. It's average sounding at best and doesn't command a high price.

Shakey

The Neilson Pass designed stuff is wonderful and can be some of the best values in HIFI.  I have loved my GFP 750 preamp, but I admit most adcom was just better than average MidFi